Installation Problem with v1.25

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Installation Problem with v1.25

Postby Stoneage » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:41 pm

After installing v1.25 I received a "500 internal server error" when attempting to access the script for setup.

Because I've installed Coranto many times before with this same hosting company's servers, I contacted tech support. They reported back:

"I have corrected the issue with your cgi perl script. The "-w" switch needed to be added to the perl interpreter line in the script itself. "

After the switch was added to the script, I could access the Coranto login page, but after entering the setup username, and clicking the submit button, I was presented with a Coranto error screen "The information you entered is incorrect. Please use your browser's Back button and try again."

I then tried installing v1.24 on the same server, and it installed without issue.

Has anyone else encountered this? I'd prefer to use v1.25, but need to get it up and running tonight if there is a quick fix.

Deborah
Last edited by Stoneage on Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stoneage

Postby Jackanape » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:35 pm

hmmm...

All the "-w" does in a perl path is tell the browser to be detailed with its error messages--like Warning.

That shouldn't have had that sort of effect on your install...

I find it odd that you got an error the first time, and it worked fine the second--well, except that you couldn't get past the log-in...

Was this a fresh install or an upgrade?

I presume, also, you mean 1.25...
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Stoneage » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:17 pm

All the "-w" does in a perl path is tell the browser to be detailed with its error messages--like Warning.

Thanks for that explanation.

Was this a fresh install or an upgrade?

This was a fresh install of v 1.25 (downloaded yesterday).

In fact, I tried the 1.25 install twice. Double-checked all permissions... etc., etc. And, as I mentioned previously, I was able to install v 1.24 in same directory without issue.

I am not altogether sure it isn't a server misconfiguration, but I don't know what to check. I ran a pre-installation tester script on the cgi bin and everything looked good.

Baffling.
Stoneage

Postby Stoneage » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:34 am

This morning I installed v1.25 on a different server. The login page came right up.
My problem was apparently a server issue, not a Coranto issue.

Sorry for the false alarm. I should have thought to test it elsewhere sooner.

:?
~ Deborah ~
Stoneage

Postby SrNupsen » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:28 pm

Interesting issue, however.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby Stoneage » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:01 pm

My hosting company got it working a few minutes ago, but it's still a mystery what was going wrong. At this point, I'm convinced it was either an issue with the server, or something got corrupted in the files in-transit to the server.

I'm up and running now with 1.25. The new colors look good!
Stoneage

Postby Spunkmeyer » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:02 pm

I assume you uploaded in ASCII?
"God Bless the Portable Grassy Knoll"
Spunkmeyer

Postby Stoneage » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:11 pm

I assume you uploaded in ASCII?

Yes, as always. In fact, my FTP software is configured to do so automatically for those file types.

Frustrating experience, but it is over.
Stoneage

Postby Lumberjack » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:34 am

It would be good to know what caused the problem. It is frustrating from a development point of view that web hosts won't bother to tell you this.
Lumberjack

Postby Lumberjack » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:54 am

Having just upgraded one of my live installs to 1.25, I now think I have diagnosed the problem. I also encountered this problem when developing. The coranto files are saved with windows line breaks, which a linux server won't much like. Adding -w to the first line of coranto.cgi solved that problem for me, as it did here. But the real solution is to resave the file with Unix line breaks, and this will prevent problems. I've done that (without the -w) and it seems to be fine now. DEV needed that too, to work properly in my Mac where I develop.
Lumberjack

Postby Stoneage » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:50 am

It would be good to know what caused the problem. It is frustrating from a development point of view that web hosts won't bother to tell you this.

I don't believe my hosting company is withholding information, but that there were several different individuals who were diagnosing the problem over two days, and not all of them documented what it was they did.
Adding -w to the first line of coranto.cgi solved that problem for me, as it did here.

At one point, someone added the -w to my script, but that only got me through the first setup screen (where the setup password is entered), the next screen presented a Coranto error message.

Because the original script is now running on the server, I believe that it was a server problem. I have since also performed two other installations at the same host, without any problem. Had it not been a new version of Coranto (1.25) I wouldn't have even questioned the script.
Stoneage

Postby Lumberjack » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:57 pm

Oh right, then it is a different issue. I thought it might be the same because your issue actually gave me the answer to mine.
Lumberjack

Postby Spunkmeyer » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:07 pm

Keep in mind that auto detect can screw things up too. Try uploading the files manually using ASCII and see what happens. Too bad ASCII doesn't fix the curly line error everyone has been talking about.
"God Bless the Portable Grassy Knoll"
Spunkmeyer

Return to Troubleshooting