Showcase

Coranto will have to reach out to old and new users alike, if we want it to succeed. All discussion and team tasks are handled here.

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Showcase

Postby Abbeyvet » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:51 pm

First off I have been really busy the last few days and not back - and all I can say is WOW!

A suggestion: Should there be, either elsewhere on the site or here at the forum, a showcase of sites managed by Coranto?

I think many people who have in the past come accross Coranto think it's just a news script or some fairly basic CMS with quite a rigid output and don't have ANY idea of how varied the sites powered by it can be.

Looking at many other much more popular CMS script - and I have, exhaustively - anyone familiar with Coranto will find a lot them either very restricting by comparison or with a gigantic learning curve to learn to configure them. It's hard to make that flexibiltiy clear to someone who has not yet grasped how it all hangs together. Even a demo of a basic admin install without much configuration wouldn't give you much more than an inkling.

A showcase might do it in a more immediate way. Possibly with a list of addons used, though that might not be all that relevant.

What you think??
Abbeyvet

Postby SrNupsen » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:02 am

Yes, we should have a showcase of some kind .I just remembered we had some testimonials over at the old site. Let me post them here for future reference, should we want to use them:

Coranto was a life-saver for my site. If I didn't find it, I don't know how I could have managed my design site and even larger gaming site. And if I didn't have the help of the many wonderful developers of Coranto, who knows what would've happened after that. Other content management/generator systems were either too confusing when I thought I'd use one of them instead or simply weren't easy to customize.

Coranto was easy to use, has a lot of cool and useful features, and is the best thing I've found compared to other programs. A big thanks goes out to the wonderful people at Coranto, who do all this awesome work for free. THANKS GUYS!

- Andross

Coranto is the most-flexible content managment system that I could find. With Coranto, I have expanded my site beyond my wildest dreams. It might be tough to understand at first, but after a month or two of experimenting with Coranto, the sky is the limit.

- bozoka45

About 4 years ago I was looking for a content management system to allow super-users to put information on some web sites that I do for volunteer organizations. I didn't even know what CMS stood for at that time. After an extensive search, I decided Coranto had the best combination of ease-of-use and ability to integrate into an existing site. All went well.

Fast forward to this year. I had been thinking that Coranto was not giving me everything that I wanted. I was not able to put file links onto a news item easily. Coranto was not producing an RSS feed. I wanted to be able to handle news items in a MySQL file instead of a flat text file.

I looked at many different solutions. I even implemented a DragonFly sub-site on my personal web site. However, almost all CMS software expects to have full control of a web site. This is rarely possible for me. It is more trouble to modify the CMS output than it is to include parts of the CMS output in my overall web design. So after an exhaustive search, I came back to look at how to extend Coranto.

I found that I wasn't even using half of Coranto's capabilities. It was intuitive for me to create parts of a web page that are then included (SSI) in the final page. I just had to learn how to do the things I wasn't doing. Thanks to Multi-part (which I had already installed), FakeSQL, and learning more on how to modify my news profiles and styles, I am now able to produce exactly what I needed for my sites.

The moral to this story? Twofold:
1) Sometimes what you want is right in front of you.
2) Simple is better than overkill, especially if you can customize simple.

That is my story for what it is worth.
Darrel

I'm no programmer. But I needed a solid content management system to make updating my personal website easy. Coranto fit the bill. It's intuitive, extremely customizable, when you do have questions - there's a great community of folks to help you out, and it's free!

Every idea I've had for my site, I have somehow been able to find a way to accomplish through Coranto. Thanks to the Coranto community that makes it all possible!

- tarkin789
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby Swordfish » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:38 am

Oh man... i get so many ideas. This is a great idea! Ofcourse we'd wanna have a showcase site that includes testemonies from users around the world. The page should also include pictures from websites that use Coranto! But how should we implement it to our website?

This goes on to my list of "things todo"...

Please people...Promoting Coranto is ofcourse very important, and I'm shure that there are many ideas out there! Bring 'em on!
Hmmm.....I'd like a cup of coffe! Thanks!
Swordfish

Postby Abbeyvet » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:56 am

Ok, I did some searching and have made a list of over 70 sites using Coranto and being actively maintained. I am sure there are loads more, for one thing I only looked for sites in English. I also left out ones with no evident activity less then 6 months old and ones which were, well, no advertisment for Coranto.

I have categorised them under various headings (News sites, information, commercial, organizations, blogs/personal etc).

I also got a little sneaky and have discovered several that use Coranto extensively but don't declare this. This list includes some church sites, a medium sized print newspaper, a multi-billion dollar company with a stock exchange listing and the Democratic Party site for a US state!!

Now I don't know what to do with the list - don't think it should be just pasted in here. And should people be contacted before their site is listed anyway?

Who should I send the list to?
Abbeyvet

Postby Swordfish » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:53 pm

You could keep the list until further notice. I have do come up with way of presenting things that's both lookable and practical, and this won't happen until the rest of the site gets more or less done. We need a download part of the website now :)

It's great that you have so many different sites on your list! I don't know if we need all of them, but a selection that shows of the difference in designs that Coranto is capable of would be the best way to go. Two words about the website, a picture and the link to the site would be the way to go I guess.

But hey ;) Great work! We'll talk as soon as I have the rest of the site up and running!

Sword...

PS.. I think the people sould be contacted. That way we could reach out to some more people about whats happening with the Coranto Community. And they could even say..no :shock:
Hmmm.....I'd like a cup of coffe! Thanks!
Swordfish

Postby Jackanape » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:12 pm

Abbeyvet wrote:Now I don't know what to do with the list - don't think it should be just pasted in here. And should people be contacted before their site is listed anyway?

Who should I send the list to?

Agreed that these users should be contacted, anyway, especially when 1.25 pushes out...If you want to make sure the list is out there, you can alweays send a copy to me and SrNupsen.

Once the site is up, and 1.25 is out, we'll move on it.

This is great, Abbeyvet! I was thinking about doing it myself, but just couldn't get the time to get started! Did you use the "Showcase"forum in the archives, or just a google "Powered by Coranto"?
Jackanape

Postby Abbeyvet » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:16 pm

I used "by coranto" mostly - some people say "content managed by coranto".

Some just have an image with no alt text though - so I also used "coranto login" - that was the one that showed up most of the sites that are using it, but not declaring that they are. It's easy to see though - look at the code and it's littered with coranto newsids, and there is invariably a login button somewhere going to Coranto.

The thing with contacting people is that I got quite a clear sense that a lot of the sites (including many of the better ones) are not managed by the person who set it up. So they may not even have a clue what the email is about. Still, it should make a reasonably varied list.

There are some really quite high profile sites using Coranto - the official Gillian Anderson site was something of a surprise to me!

All of us will have sites to contribute also, but I feel only the better ones and those most illustrative of Coranto's versatility be used. What I would like to do it this:

I will keep building the list - so if anyone wants to add a site to it please PM me with the URL. Then maybe 3-4 people would take a copy and prune it down to the ones they consider to be the tops, their favorite 10-15 sites, excluding their own sites.

If we take all those top 10's we should have a list of sites fit to be showcased, as a starting point anyway.

I also think that if any of us have sites that make the cut it would be useful if we wrote a case study or two on the more interesting of them (interesting from the point of view of how they use Coranto) - you know, what the site needed to do, how Coranto solved the problems, what addons were used etc etc.

ANYTHING that would emphasise the versatility and configurability that make Coranto so great.

I am quite happy to take on this little task, make the list, circulate it eventually, contact people, make sceenshots and so on, if you would like me to.
Abbeyvet

Postby Bluetooth » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:50 am

I would love to see a Powered by Coranto link at the bottom of The Official Gillian Anderson pages.
Bluetooth
---
Formerly known as Von Snellfharer

Postby Jackanape » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:19 pm

Bluetooth wrote:I would love to see a Powered by Coranto link at the bottom of The Official Gillian Anderson pages.

Change link to tattoo, and we're getting somewhere!

:wink:

I love the idea, Abbey! It's good to see everyone around here taking the intitiative we're all here for! Keep us posted!
Jackanape

Postby Bluetooth » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:52 pm

Jackanape wrote:Change link to tattoo, and we're getting somewhere!

:wink:

Heck! I'd love to se the bottoms of The Official Gillian Anderson :twisted:

But a tattoo would sertainly top that.

LOL!
Bluetooth
---
Formerly known as Von Snellfharer

How 'bout the phone?

Postby Digicamhelp » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:37 am

So they may not even have a clue what the email is about.

Who says everyone has to be contacted by email, or only by email?

Remember the phone? :lol:

Those of us who don't know any techie stuff can contribute to this effort by phoning site owners. With technology such as Skype, it wouldn't cost anyone an arm and a leg. Agree ahead of time what we are to say so eveyone covers the same thing.

If this is a viable suggestion, I'd be willing to make calls.
Digicamhelp

Re: How 'bout the phone?

Postby Jackanape » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:34 pm

Digicamhelp wrote: Agree ahead of time what we are to say so everyone covers the same thing.

If this is a viable suggestion, I'd be willing to make calls.

Agreed...we should probably have outlined who's contacting who, etc, as well when the time comes...we'll have to touch back on this when our first two jobs are done...
Jackanape

Return to Promoting Coranto