How easy to change ? ... a two part question !!

All new Coranto Addons, updates and patches to addons, will be released here...also, get support for addons within!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

How easy to change ? ... a two part question !!

Postby AndyP » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:41 pm

I'm wondering how easy it is to change from using Tintinnabulum to News Categories ? Is it possible to preserve the current setup of categories using Tinti or will they have to all be created again and all the profiles changed accordingly ?

Also, how easy is it to change a database to sql using the sql addon ? I'm running a big database right now and am worried something is going to break one day !!

Thanks for any help...
AndyP

Postby Dale Ray » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:40 pm

AndyP wrote:I'm wondering how easy it is to change from using Tintinnabulum to News Categories ? Is it possible to preserve the current setup of categories using Tinti or will they have to all be created again and all the profiles changed accordingly ?

Tintinnabulum has the ability to store multiple categories for a news item. It does this by using a special separator between the list of categories. I do not know what disabling Tint will do, but I suspect it will not clean-up after itself (remove the multiple cats from your items).

If you have items in multiple categories so that they can be used with different profiles you will have to address how you will accomplish this after you disable Tint. Using a custom field of some type will work as a substitute, but your will have to create the needed fields and adjust your news styles and profiles accordingly.

There are two methods to try in switching over. Short way - Back up your Coranto installation. Disable Tint and see what happens. Fix whatever you need to fix to get your site working the way you want (styles, profiles, etc.)

The longer way is to back up your Coranto install. Make sure every item is associated with only one category. Then disable Tint. Fix whatever you need to to make your site work (styles, profiles, etc.)

You can use Filter By Field 2.1 and custom fields to simulate multiple categories.

AndyP wrote:Also, how easy is it to change a database to sql using the sql addon ? I'm running a big database right now and am worried something is going to break one day !!

Which SQL addon are you considering? I have never used either one. Fake SQL and CorantoSQL are your two choices. Do a forum search for more info about these addons.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby AndyP » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:25 pm

Thanks a million Dale, I appreciate the advice. I'll certainly research the SQL addons. I already noticed that FakeSQL works almost as a backup of the newsdat.txt file so that's a starting point. Maybe I need to setup a separate Coranto installation to play around with it properly.
AndyP

Return to Addon Release and Support