SearchNews (Top10) on HomePage

All new Coranto Addons, updates and patches to addons, will be released here...also, get support for addons within!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

SearchNews (Top10) on HomePage

Postby driv » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:05 pm

Coranto : v1.25.1
SearchNews : 3.2

Hi
Got Search news working nicely, but I'd like to get the 'top 10' tables (week/ month etc) on my home page.

They work great in my templates (when I hit the 'search' button) but I can't seem to get them working on my homepage :(

I know it's probably something to so with SSI or pseudo SSI but everything I've tried fails.

Has anyone done this?

Thank you.
d.
driv

Postby Jackanape » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:18 pm

Can you share some of your code with us? If it's SSI, then that's got to have something to do with it.

Also, I'm not sure how you have Coranto set up, but I assume everything else works, too? Your news directory is outside of our cgi-bin?
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby driv » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:20 pm

Hi,
Well the more I read things - the more I am convinced that it's not an SSI issue. I mean - all my posts headlines, snipped articles etc are all working fine.

I think it's my fundamental misunderstanding of Searchnews.

Clearly, I'm not using it properly, as all my styles and templates parse the usual Coranto tags but all the searchnews tags remain as...

Code: Select all
<SN: RelevanceAverage><SN: URL>

...when viewing the page source code.

When using the Google template everything is ok and all the <SN:****> tags are fine - but I guess that this template is 'activated' through searchnews.pl.

What I would like to do is add this sort of thing....

Code: Select all
<tr>
<td>
<B>Top 10 Last Week</B><br>
<SN: Top10SearchWeek>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td">
<B>Top 10 Last Month</B><br>
<SN: Top10SearchMonth>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td">
<B>Top 10  Last Year</B><br>
<SN: Top10SearchYear>
</td>
</tr>

......to my homepage.

But, as I say - <SN: Top10SearchYear> remains un-parsed :(

If you get my drift....

Thanks for reading.
driv

Postby SrNupsen » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:26 pm

The <SN: tags can not be used in normal Coranto styles - that is, they will remain unparsed as you say. You can only use them in SearchNews styles.

I suggest you create another SearchNews style and then try to fake SSI include a call to searchnews using that style (correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can specify the style to use in the query string, something like <!--#include "searchnews.pl?style=topten"--> (pseudo code not to be taken literally)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Return to Addon Release and Support