Does Feed Builder (rss) work with Coranto 4.0Beta?

All new Coranto Addons, updates and patches to addons, will be released here...also, get support for addons within!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Does Feed Builder (rss) work with Coranto 4.0Beta?

Postby Ptr » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:17 pm

I'm still using Coranto 4.0Beta!

*RUNS*

*CAREFULLY shuffles back*

I'm terrified of upgrading from 4.0Beta to the latest build, afraid of losing year-old settings and megabytes of data.

But now I want to export an RSS 2.0 feed and I'm hoping someone could confirm whether Feed Builder works with old versions of Coranto such as 4.0b... or not.

Or, which files exactly do I need to backup if I want to crash test it myself?
Ptr

Postby Dale Ray » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:28 am

I don't know if Feed Builder will work with the Coranto version you are using. I have never used that version.

You can read:

RSS Files - How to Create

Feed Builder - Build RSS 2.0 Feeds with Coranto (extended docs)

and

Post-Build File Renamer/Mover

at the Coranto Docs wiki for more info about building feeds with Coranto. The links to forum posts may not work because I have not gotten all of them updated since the old and new forums were merged.

You can also search the forum for 'RSS feed' and you will find a bunch of posts.

I would suggest a backup and try the addon. If you have your install mirrored on a local test setup that would be a good place to try it.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Musicvid » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:06 am

I am curious, what is "Coranto 4.0Beta"?

Never heard of it, the latest beta versions of Coranto I know of were/are in the 1.3x range, so this seems unusual.

Will you please check the Help->"About" place in your installation and let us know which version you have?

Thanks.
Musicvid

Postby Ptr » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:03 am

Musicvid wrote:I am curious, what is "Coranto 4.0Beta"?

Never heard of it, the latest beta versions of Coranto I know of were/are in

It dates back from the days it got renamed from Newspro to Coranto (see here).

Thanks for the links Dale. Will have a look.
Ptr

Postby Dale Ray » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:34 pm

Musicvid wrote:I am curious, what is "Coranto 4.0Beta"?

I believe that it was the first version to be called Coranto when the shift was made from NewsPro. I started using Coranto after that so I am not familiar with it.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Ptr » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:17 pm

Following up on my own question, I made a full backup and then tried the RSS addon. It works so far so good, which is great!

Now I'm wondering if anyone ever tried to export +1000 posts entirely into one RSS file?
Ptr

Postby Musicvid » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:28 am

Now I'm wondering if anyone ever tried to export +1000 posts entirely into one RSS file?
That's an unusual use for a news or blog feed, but not impossible. I wonder what the attraction of sifting through a thousand items is, however. I have seen feeds with thousands of items, but these are usually for online parts catalogs, document location, etc.
Musicvid

Postby Ptr » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:10 am

Musicvid wrote:
That's an unusual use for a news or blog feed, but not impossible.

In my case, for backup/indexing. It's not a public feed.
Ptr

Feedburner works with 1.24 but I get invalid characters

Postby Dcompton » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:11 pm

I have been using Feed Builder for my RSS feeds but the comma, quotes dashes in the text Field cause it not to validate for IE7. Is their some way to strip out these characters or convert them? Problem is likely caused by users pasting TEXT copy in from Word.

Thanks Dale for Feed Builder I am getting ready to use it on a 40 feed site coming up this year.
David Compton
Eagle, ID 83616
Dcompton

Re: Feedburner works with 1.24 but I get invalid characters

Postby Musicvid » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:33 am

Dcompton wrote:I have been using Feed Builder for my RSS feeds but the comma, quotes dashes in the text Field cause it not to validate for IE7. Is their some way to strip out these characters or convert them? Problem is likely caused by users pasting TEXT copy in from Word.

1) The windows-1252 "special" characters created in Microsoft Word are invalid in RSS feeds because they are undeclared in strict ISO-1259-1 and UTF-8 encoding.

2) Also, the characters
' " & < > \
are invalid because they are used for other purposes in XML.

Either of these encoding errors will break almost any version of IE, and cause errors in other readers / validators.

Solutions:

See my posts here for explanations and solutions for both problems. You are of course welcome to incorporate these into your personal copy of the addon since I make no money from and expect only a credit line for my work.

That being said, you may find my own solution, an RSS Style and Template helpful, since it addresses and eliminates both problems at their source. It was designed for the 1.3x beta versions of Coranto, which allow output file extension renaming. However, you may find it useful in combination with Dale Ray's File Renamer addon in the current release and some previous versions.
Musicvid

Work around for Feed builder RSS with 1.24

Postby Dcompton » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:35 am

OK,
After looking at all the great advice, I think I have another workaround. Not as exacting in solving the RSS validation for IE7.
First, I changed the code in Feed Builder from encoding UTF-8 to iso-8859-1. I then went to the RSS profile and changed the item information to Allow HTML in description YES.
I tried the RSS validator again and got only one error. It was the & in the titles. I changed a couple of entries from & to "and" in the Titles and it VALIDATED for IE7.
Thanks for the help.
I could not find a download copy of Coranto 1.31.5 anywhere. Any idea where to look?

David
David Compton
Eagle, ID 83616
Dcompton

Postby Musicvid » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:35 am

**I could not find a download copy of Coranto 1.31.5 anywhere. Any idea where to look? **

Parahead, I couldn't find it on your site either.
SrNupsen, do you have it for download somewhere?

Dcompton, if you'll email my username at gmail I'll send you a copy. Be sure to read the thread http://www.coranto.org/forum/viewtopic. ... light=beta because there are a few file path changes with certain addons.

Or, you could try the 1.25 stable release with Dale's file renamer addon, although a few have reported an error message.
Musicvid

Postby SrNupsen » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:08 am

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby Musicvid » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:14 pm

SrNupsen,
Thank you, sir.

Dcompton, My email to you bounced back as spam, probably because it contains the .zip attachment. Try the link SrNupsen provided :D
Musicvid

Return to Addon Release and Support