Complete list of Recursuve Links within--PLEASE HELP OUT!

All input, comments, and site suggestions here.<br />All Websites are constantly evolving works in progress, so fire away!

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Complete list of Recursuve Links within--PLEASE HELP OUT!

Postby Jackanape » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:25 pm

Contained here is a complete list of recursive links. If you can help out, I've broken them up into groups of 50. With 1700 posts to look at, this will take lots of time for just one person, so I need any moderators or admins who can spare a half hour or so to chip in wherever they can.

If you want to help, but are not a mod talk to me about temporary moderator status...

Here's how to do it:

1) Each group will contain a list of links to posts--listed by post id (viewtopic?p=##) --along with some identifying information, like post title, if there is one, and the first few words of the post.

Click through the link to find the post, and the recursive link (usually referring to another post where someone might find help.) There may be more than one.

2)I've now fixed any links that may have pointed to the right one. 100% are now wrong, meaning no check is necessary, just updating the number.
To REPAIR the LINKS

Click EDIT in the upper right hand corner of the post.

Every topic was shifted UP in number by 324
Every post was shifted up in number by 2177

You'll see a link like this:
http ://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=63#63
or
http ://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=324

*If it's a "p=" add 2177 to the number and replace the old with the new number in the address.

*If it's a "t=" (and most of them will be) add 324 to the number and replace the old with the new number in the address.

3) If you encounter any problems, or completely missing links, post the problem in this topic, and I'll attempt to address the situation in the dB directly.

This is a pretty easy job, after the first few--I know, I've already done about 100...!

When this project is completed, we will shut down the archives, and move ahead with the merged forums.
Important!!
Before beginning any work on this, please post the group you will be working on in this topic--and check to see that someone else hasn't already started it--so we can avoid working on the same posts.

Have at it!
Last edited by Jackanape on Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Jackanape » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:47 pm

I am currently working on group 34.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Alexv » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:19 pm

Couldn't this be automated?
aka on ctus: alexv, aerosoul, billgates
Alexv

Postby Jackanape » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:45 pm

Pulling the links out is easily automated, but changing them is not. Since you don't know what the links are, whether they're posts or topics, or how they're formatted, where they point, etc.

I actually spent the better part of two weeks trying to find a way to automate it, but, ultimately, it needs a human mind behind the job...

So far, it looks like It's just me and 1600 posts to handle...
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby SrNupsen » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:08 pm

I'll have some time on my hands Tuesday and Wednesday. Will see if I can toss in some hours then.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby Dale Ray » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:28 am

I don't see what merging the old forums with the new accomplishes and I hope that you do not remove the old forum archive.

If you can't automate the conversion of the links (search and replace, a script) then I think it is a waste of time.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Alexv » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:06 am

I don't mean to be a whiny bitch since I'm not really doing anything to help out, but it seems to me that some of the work that's being done for Coranto, like the merging of the forums, is largely unnecessary. I know it's a lot of effort, and I respect that, however I don't think it will be all that worth-while. I doubt anybody would have cared if there were two separate forums. I also doubt that anyone would have cared if the forums didn't match the design of the site (especially considering how long it took to get it perfected, and how much of an annoyance it will be when it comes time to upgrade).
aka on ctus: alexv, aerosoul, billgates
Alexv

Postby Jackanape » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:58 pm

Well, it's all about everyone doing what they do best for Coranto. Since this is one of the things I do best, it's the best way I can contribute...We've accomplished a lot in the past 6 months, I just want to make sure we continue to do so.

So, look at it as leading by example, NOT wasting time. If we all contributed what we do best to the project, including our wayward coders, we'd REALLY be rolling ahead, don't you think?

Now, there's no right or wrong answer to a merged support forums--although in my personal opinion, it seems a lot less put-off-ish to new users if we have a single support forum to search, rather than two--but, again, it's the best way I can contribute right now, so I do.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Jackanape » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:04 pm

Working on group 33
Working on groups 32, 31

Working on Group 30
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Jackanape » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:21 pm

Alexv wrote:how much of an annoyance it will be when it comes time to upgrade).

As I'm just taking a break, I wanted to reply to this for you Alex, so you have a better undestanding of phpBB...

I know Dragon never wanted to add any sort of modifications to the forums, because of difficulties in upgrading the software. So, upgrading seems to have a mythical "difficulty" attached to it.

In fact, simplifying the upgrading procedure is one of the main reasons I'm trying to do this. If we're running off a single dB, with a single set of forum software to upgrade, the workload is halved.

Most of the upgrades to phpBB tend to come in the form of security patches, and given the importance of our support forums here, that's paramount that we prevent anyone from ever hacking our dB, and losing all that data. So, combining the two dBs into one makes that a single, sweeping change, as opposed to having to update two separate forum installations.

Upgrading to phpBB3 does two important things for us:
1) it keeps our security top notch
2) it adds functionality that is very important to a forum like ours, in the form of a massively improved code-posting BBcode, and a file attachment function.

This is why I'm merging the forum dBs, and getting us upgraded as soon as possible. So, yeah, it may be a waste of time, but it's what I can offer the cause, as I said above.

Dale Ray wrote:I don't see what merging the old forums with the new accomplishes and I hope that you do not remove the old forum archive.

I hope the above explains it for you in a better manner, Dale. I think keeping the old archives is a good idea, too, if only for search engine traffic, so I may install them in an entirely separate, SEO friendly, version, but that's after I get this straightened out.

By the way, this is incredibly easy, I can do about 50 in 15 minutes, usually. It's just a matter if a quick edit. Occasionally, I check the links, to be sure I'm still on the right track, but everything is rounding up nicely.

O'course, I still appreciate any help anyone can offer! wink wink

Working on Groups 29, 28, 27

Working on Groups 26, 25, 24
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Jackanape » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:21 pm

Now Working on Groups 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
Now Working on Groups 16, 17, 18
Now Working on Groups 13,14,15
Now Working on Groups 9, 10, 11, 12
Now Working on Groups 6, 7, 8

Feel free to jump in anytime, folks!
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Jackanape » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:23 pm

Should be finished today:

Groups 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 are underway...

Project now complete. Reverting this post to normal status, and moving ahead with the next few steps.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Return to Coranto.org Site Development