New Site Navigation System

All input, comments, and site suggestions here.<br />All Websites are constantly evolving works in progress, so fire away!

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

New Site Navigation System

Postby Mavmesa » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:43 pm

I am showing my lack of knowledge, I know.

The new site is great. I did notice that Kriko has implemented the new style navigation (Site->Tutorials-> HowToCode). I do not know what the industry name is for this.

Did he use a Coranto addon for this or did he construct it some other way?

Ken
Mavmesa

Postby SrNupsen » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:12 pm

I don't know the industry name either, but I do know that he custom coded that part in PHP.

SrNupsen
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby muttly » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:53 pm

I think what you are referring to is called a breadcrumb trail. I haven't ever tried to build one, but I believe it can be done in javascript as well
muttly

Breadcrumb Addon

Postby Mavmesa » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:08 am

That would be a sweet addon..

Ken
Mavmesa

Re: Breadcrumb Addon

Postby Parahead » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:53 pm

mavmesa wrote:That would be a sweet addon..
Since Coranto doesn't really support subfolders (categories or XMS Profiles for example) it is hard to implement a bread crumb navigation based on those parameters.

So, we need some other thing to use as base for the navigation, the actual path structure on the server being my first suggestion. It could work so that it reads the path structure on the server based on the current location of a shtml page and create a bread crumb navigation from that. At the location on the shtml page where you want the bread crumb to appear you include a SSI call. This would be a fairly simple solution and could be done as an addon, making the SSI call for viewnews.cgi with some param to trigger the bread crumb addon.

And yes, I am only thinking loud here and throwing out an idea, not actually saying I am going to code this addon...
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Return to Coranto.org Site Development