Post suggestions, ideas, comments, criticism ;)

All input, comments, and site suggestions here.<br />All Websites are constantly evolving works in progress, so fire away!

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Postby msbzdragn » Mon May 23, 2005 8:19 pm

Well done. :) How can folks add testimonials, incidentally?
Michael R. Tomkins
Administrator, 'Unofficial Coranto / NewsPro Forums'

Mitsubishi Diamante Forum

Do NOT send me instant messages asking for Coranto help without me telling you explicitly to do so. You WILL be placed on ignore if you do so; I don't have time to provide personal tech support to every person who IM's me. Sorry!
msbzdragn

Postby SrNupsen » Mon May 23, 2005 8:29 pm

We have this specially hand-crafted mailbox located in a small town in southern Falkland Islands. And every Thursday between 5 and 6...

:SrNupsen:

They can't directly, but we'll sip them out from conversations in here - and maybe even ask for them, like kriko did to get those present now.

SrNupsen
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby msbzdragn » Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm

SrNupsen wrote:We have this specially hand-crafted mailbox located in a small town in southern Falkland Islands. And every Thursday between 5 and 6...

:SrNupsen:

They can't directly, but we'll sip them out from conversations in here - and maybe even ask for them, like kriko did to get those present now.

SrNupsen

OK, in that case may I suggest adding a "testimonials" forum, and linking it from that page - making it easy for folks to see how to leave their thoughts, and making it easy for us to find them and choose the best ones? :)
Michael R. Tomkins
Administrator, 'Unofficial Coranto / NewsPro Forums'

Mitsubishi Diamante Forum

Do NOT send me instant messages asking for Coranto help without me telling you explicitly to do so. You WILL be placed on ignore if you do so; I don't have time to provide personal tech support to every person who IM's me. Sorry!
msbzdragn

Postby kriko » Mon May 23, 2005 9:59 pm

Changed the look of the forums a little.
Location bar messages doubled at the location bar of the site.
Kristjan aka. kriko
now a wireless expert
kriko

a few things

Postby shanemckiness » Tue May 24, 2005 6:52 am

1. the forum should be on the main page
2. PHPBB is slow. Maybe you can try a faster php software like http://www.minibb.net%20minibb
shanemckiness

Postby SrNupsen » Tue May 24, 2005 12:57 pm

1. It is - see the "Forum" menu, available from any page. The most important thing for the front page is news.

2. Can you elaborate, please? I never noticed that.

SrNupsen
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
SrNupsen

Postby LoneOwl » Tue May 24, 2005 1:57 pm

I've noticed some of the loading and accessing is slowed down, likely because it's far heavier on the CSS, but that's about it. When it comes to the server, I haven't noticed much of any problem.
LoneOwl

Postby Turk » Tue May 24, 2005 10:41 pm

The new site is absolutely gorgeous! I did a double take to make sure it was the right url at first.
Turk

Postby shanemckiness » Wed May 25, 2005 4:56 am

The css document is absolutely huge and may be the cause of some of the slowdown. Cut out the whitespace and comments, and just keep a copy with comments for your personal reference. Also, the forum highlight gets annoying pretty fast...

Shane

The top menu (java?) is probably the cause of much slowdown too. It might be beneficial to cut down on some of the link options in the menu...
shanemckiness

Postby Parahead » Wed May 25, 2005 6:33 am

First off before I say anything else, *GREAT* work kriko! :-D

Something I have noticed is that the page loads, the progressbar has just reached 100% and then the page 'freezes' and it isn´t possible to scroll or do anything for about 1-2 seconds, then it is completly loaded. This is not only for the forum page, but every page on CTUS.

This happens on both WinXP and Win200 with IE6...
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby kriko » Wed May 25, 2005 7:23 am

shanemckiness wrote:The css document is absolutely huge and may be the cause of some of the slowdown. Cut out the whitespace and comments, and just keep a copy with comments for your personal reference. Also, the forum highlight gets annoying pretty fast...

Shane

The top menu (java?) is probably the cause of much slowdown too. It might be beneficial to cut down on some of the link options in the menu...

If you wish, do a benchmark on the various elements. The menu itself does play a role in the loading time but a small one. It is not java but it is CSS level 2 coding, with some elements added for Internet Explorer's use (since IE doesn't natively support pseudo element hover).

Whitespace in the CSS code itself does not affect the loading time that much. Though I was intending on cleaning the CSS code up from comments, doubled font/border/background elements, which were left during the development. I did finish with one cleaned up version, but something went a little off and the site was a bit out of place. I'll try to do that again in the near future.

At this time all that matters is that the site works, looks good and contains up to date content. Narrowing down loading time by short amounts and relatively small problems are not that important, if time is left from those things taken as a priority then I hope I shall get to solving other issues. Same goes for the minorities of (at the moment incompatible) browser users who may be among us.

But still, if anybody is offering a hand in the development then it is accepted. If you or somebody can take the time to optimise the CSS, HTML coding or the IE extra then it is welcome. Same goes for a larger cross browser compatibility.

PS: the old site is still in the server and we could possibly set it up for a public view, if there are people who are totally unable to use this site. As for the old site - forums use the same DB as this one so the content of the forums remain the same, but the static content in the site will be out of date.
Kristjan aka. kriko
now a wireless expert
kriko

Postby kriko » Wed May 25, 2005 7:30 am

Parahead wrote:First off before I say anything else, *GREAT* work kriko! :-D

Something I have noticed is that the page loads, the progressbar has just reached 100% and then the page 'freezes' and it isn´t possible to scroll or do anything for about 1-2 seconds, then it is completly loaded. This is not only for the forum page, but every page on CTUS.

Thank you for your nice words. ;)

About the 1-2 second delay or the hangup. It is weird, I just noticed it myself too, for the very first time. It appears to be a problem with the behaviour code (basically JavaScript encoded in CSS) specially designed for IE. Unfortunately without it there is no way for Internet Explorer users to use the drop down menu at the moment.

I may set up a per-computer/user/browser basis configuration option to disable the drop down menus. Or if majority agrees then I may remove them completely for the IE user. All sub-section pages should still be reachable via in-site links.

Currently I am leaving the CSS behaviour code.

However I will try to check out some scripts and solutions that provide the same effect but with larger compatiblity.
Kristjan aka. kriko
now a wireless expert
kriko

Postby kriko » Wed May 25, 2005 7:53 am

Parahead wrote:First off before I say anything else, *GREAT* work kriko! :-D

Alright, try it now. I updated the behaviour JavaScript code, optimized the menu CSS code and it should be faster now. No change in Firefox, from what I noticed, but a relatively noticiable change in Internet Explorer.
Kristjan aka. kriko
now a wireless expert
kriko

Postby Parahead » Wed May 25, 2005 12:20 pm

kriko wrote:Alright, try it now. I updated the behaviour JavaScript code, optimized the menu CSS code and it should be faster now. No change in Firefox, from what I noticed, but a relatively noticiable change in Internet Explorer.
Yes, the 1-2 second freeze is now gone! Thank you very much!
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Top Job

Postby Zygor » Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:59 am

Beautiful work on the site kriko
Zygor
I drop by now and again.
Zygor

Previous

Return to Coranto.org Site Development