New Graphics

All input, comments, and site suggestions here.<br />All Websites are constantly evolving works in progress, so fire away!

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

New Graphics

Postby Jackanape » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:48 am

Graphics for the new site:

Image Image Image

While I'm available to tweak what we need to, we still need someone with CSS skills to work with Swordfish on the new site design.
Jackanape

Postby Gilbert » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:52 pm

A quick first attempt... adapted font (fluid & dynamic) with at least a "slogan" of some sort. Kept lower cases

Unleash the power of your site

Unleash the power of your webpages

Etc.

Gilbert

Postby Swordfish » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:00 pm

It's nice but i kind of like the variation in colours that Jacks version has got. Maybe you are on to something but it's just to dark for me. You need to brighten it up a bit. Give a bit more air...
Hmmm.....I'd like a cup of coffe! Thanks!
Swordfish

Postby Gilbert » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:04 pm

Swordfish wrote:It's nice but i kind of like the variation in colours that Jacks version has got. Maybe you are on to something but it's just to dark for me. You need to brighten it up a bit. Give a bit more air...

OK. I did not want to change the colours... thought they were "official".

In fact I wonder if we should not "break" colour-wise and attempt something more "contemporary" (in the sense what is "used" currently web-wide)

Is the Maple Leaf a must ?
Gilbert

Postby Jackanape » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:15 pm

It's a tradition, and a nod to the origins of the script...but a must?

I don't see why it would have to be. The leaf sort of brings autumn to mind, as in decline, so maybe it's not such a great logo, all told.

BUT, since we're still working with the same release we have been, essentially, I suggest we continue in this direction for now, get a site up and running. If we spend too much time trying to switch things up, and get things "perfect" the first time, we'll fall into the same trap CTUS did, and really never get anything done...
So, let's get this site finished, and good to go.

Then, we should immediately begin looking at an updated logo, look, colors, and feel, to go along with the impending 2.0 release. Really break with the past to move forward. I like your thoughts on that. New colors, new look, new Coranto...
Jackanape

Postby Gilbert » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:05 pm

Ok new radical approach... Simple, clean but not simplistic as a webpage should be. Holistic :roll:

however we can come back to the previous less radical departure as transition or permanent with the "new" colours

All permutations possible
Gilbert

Postby Alexv » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:29 pm

My vote goes to
The font is bold, modern, and original, yet it's not obnoxious. Perhaps using more pastel colors would look better though. Something lighter, cooler, yet brighter (more aggressive) would be better... Less maroon/brown (less of the 1970's "shag office"-esque look). The original Coranto/Newspro colors chosen by elvii do not look good by any standard. Kriko, when he re-designed CTUS, selected a pretty good color pallet (although that doesn't necessarily mean we have to stick to those colors).
aka on ctus: alexv, aerosoul, billgates
Alexv

Postby Gilbert » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:05 pm

On these lines ? (just to give us an idea, need to work kernings – trackings – and proportions)

Gilbert

Postby Jackanape » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:21 pm

I like the idea of getting away from what has gone before, so the maple leaf goes, right? Or does a yellow leaf send it's own kind of message...I don't know, I still see it as autumn.

Also, I like the green, not necessarily the font there, so much...not sure what to put my finger on, but it's not as readable for me. Something clear, but that conveys a dynamism that is inherent in Coranto...
Jackanape

Postby Gilbert » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:33 pm

Jackanape wrote:I like the idea of getting away from what has gone before, so the maple leaf goes, right? Or does a yellow leaf send it's own kind of message...I don't know, I still see it as autumn.

Also, I like the green, not necessarily the font there, so much...not sure what to put my finger on, but it's not as readable for me. Something clear, but that conveys a dynamism that is inherent in Coranto...

I tend to agree with you on the leaf. Indeed I never understood its meaning and were it came from. I just inserted it to expand on the colour comment of Alexv.

Maybe the leaf and the forum background (clashing with the colour) do not give justice to the font. Hmmm... I am thinking !
Gilbert

Postby SrNupsen » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:37 pm

The old man (me) says:

Elvii was Canadian. The leaf is from the Canadian flag. So if we want to extend him that courtesy - Coranto owes a whole lot to him - we keep the flag. If not, let's ditch it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby Jackanape » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:39 pm

In that case, mine is definitely better! :lol:

Seriously, though, SrNupsen actually confirmed what I only hinted at above, that it IS a nod to its origins. Ok, then, there's a million ways to incorporate this into a stunning logo...

Also, as regards the font, let's not go too overboard. Some of the most time tested logos use a very clear, and easy to read font. And, for a reason...they work.

Just my opinion...and who wants that anyway...
Jackanape

Postby Gilbert » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:28 pm

OK then. Here is another concept.

Keeping the maple with even flag and colour – though more eclectic ;)

Permutations with existing ideas, colour scheme change possible.

(NB. The contato official site and unleash, etc. could be smaller and need to be worked)
Gilbert

Postby Gilbert » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:48 pm

Two more based on concept above

Gilbert

Postby Jackanape » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:26 am

I like these much better, clear, and easy to read, yet with enough style to stand out.

I'm not too keen on the flag, though, for a couple of reasons. One, we're not exclusively a Canadian product, so that might be taking our acknowledgment of our roots too far to the extreme, and people may misunderstand simply by looking at it...perhaps something addressing the leaf in a more abstract manner. And don't necessarily discount the yellow-orange leaf...those colors might really go well with this design...
Jackanape

Next

Return to Coranto.org Site Development