Setting up a site, perhaps? Example...

All input, comments, and site suggestions here.<br />All Websites are constantly evolving works in progress, so fire away!

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Postby Abbeyvet » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:21 pm

I am pretty strong on CSS and think I could help here - BUT I am totally submerged in work for the next week at least. I will try to whip up something asap in between other work.

On making it liquid? I think that's not a good idea - fixed and centred is a better option IMHO. It is almost impossible to get a design that looks good - not functional, but good - at all widths. Plus just because people have big screens, it doesn't mean they use big windows.

I like the design put up here, but wonder if something taking the same elements but more (and I REALLY hate this term but however) Web 2.0 looking might not be better?
Abbeyvet

Postby Swordfish » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:14 pm

Maybe we can join forces. I'm keen to learn some more CSS and I might just do that if we start fidling with my design. A fixed centered design will work alot better than a floating version, so I'm up for that.

What do you mean by Web 2.0? Does it mean specific changes in design or what...I'm green the term :cry:
Hmmm.....I'd like a cup of coffe! Thanks!
Swordfish

Postby Jackanape » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:54 pm

My understanding of web 2.0 is more about function than form...what do you mean by "web 2.0 looking"?
Jackanape

Postby Shiwej » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:22 pm

Cool colors and a snazzy look. Blues, pinks, etc. Or something that looks more professionally designed.
Shiwej

Postby Alexv » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:25 pm

http://www.webdesignfromscratch.com/web ... -guide.cfm

That guide is a bit outdated but provides a good outline (some people would argue that technologies like CSS, XHTML, and RSS, and ideas like tag-clouds and social networking are all vital to the web 2.0 idea).

Another overview: http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2006/09 ... ous-fonts/
aka on ctus: alexv, aerosoul, billgates
Alexv

Postby Jackanape » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:59 pm

I would argue that CSS and xhtml are vital to any web design...

But that's an aside, and getting things away from their goal...
Jackanape

Postby SrNupsen » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:41 pm

It kind of amuses me how each time people get together on a software project everybody ends up discussing what the logo should look like :lol:

But it's an important discussion, and we already have lots of suggestions. I will return to this thread in a while, I guess. We probably should arrange a vote when everybody has got their chance to submit suggestions.
Last edited by SrNupsen on Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby Shiwej » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:45 pm

I design sites in my free time, and eventually for a living. So I always want a logo and design to look good. Of course I'll probably make some eventually.
Shiwej

Postby Parahead » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:50 pm

SrNupsen wrote:It kind of amuses me how each time people get together on a software project everybody ends up discussing what the logo should look like :lol:
That is because anyone without prior knowledge can have an opinion about color, size and shape. If just the same where true regarding coding we wouldn't be in this spot... ;-)
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby Jackanape » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:15 pm

SrNupsen wrote:It kind of amuses me how each time people get together on a software project everybody ends up discussing what the logo should look like :lol:

Keep in mind that this forum is specifically oriented to the look and feel of the site, and has nothing to do with the software...
Remember, a lot of people have said they want to chip in, but have no coding skills. This is where they can do that. And with so many facets of this project to tackle, we shouldn't diminish its importance.

Besides, if things look "cool" and "hip", like me, lots of people will come, and with them, interested coders...
Jackanape

Postby SrNupsen » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:32 pm

Yeah, I know, I wasn't turning down the effort, only chuckling to myself 8)
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
SrNupsen

Previous

Return to Coranto.org Site Development