Setting up a site, perhaps? Example...

All input, comments, and site suggestions here.<br />All Websites are constantly evolving works in progress, so fire away!

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Setting up a site, perhaps? Example...

Postby Swordfish » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:31 pm

Has anybody begun working on this?

I don't feel up the task of coding the whole webpage - I don't concider myself good enough in that field. But I can certanly help. I can do the graphic part of the design, i know a bit of html as well so i can put something together. I actually tried and my efforts look like this:

http://www.protrombone.com/gocoranto/php/

No links are working ofcourse. Its just a mockup to see how it looks. What do you guys think? It requires alot of work of course, but as a beginning? We would need someone thats knows his way around browser compliant html and some one that understands CSS. The graphic part I can do...

....plus I can give a hand on the rest. I se this as an learning experience as well as helping out on a really good CMS. Hope thats not a bad thing :oops:
Last edited by Swordfish on Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hmmm.....I'd like a cup of coffe! Thanks!
Swordfish

Postby Jackanape » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:29 pm

Not a bad thing at all!

I like it! What does everyone else think? Seems a good layout to start with--and perfect for plugging in Coranto generated content. My first question would be, can it be written as a liquid layout? I'm noting that this mockup is built on the 800x600 model, which is standard, but on laptops, etc, it can look a little scrunched up...
Jackanape

Postby SrNupsen » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:56 pm

I like it, too - and I would like to stress once again that most of our efforts should go into CONTENT to begin with - and then we'll be able to expand the design later. So this mockup, to me, looks simple and stylish. I like it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby Swordfish » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:02 pm

My screen is 1024, just made it this way cause it looks nice on my screen. On bigger resolutions i would think it looks kinda small.

Its no problem expanding it to a 1024x768 setup. Since there still are some out there with that resolution on their screens i think a width of about 1000px is enough. All the sizes for the different boxes should be implemented in a CSS so that their easy to change. With floating i suppose you mean that it should expand when you change the size of the browser window? Personally i dont think thats a good idea because it meddles with the positioning of the elements on screen. Besides I think its easier to make a fixed width setup.

It loads easily enough i think. Only ten small jpgs make up for the backgrounds and corners of the design, and all the colors should be easy to change if desirable. All the different boxes on screen are ment to be filled width different stuff like Login scheme for the forum maybe and other things we can think of. Current version for instance.

Please give me some input about this. If it works I can setup a catalog structure and start thinking towards a Coranto setup...

btw...content is my main goal here to. Functions like Search and more advanced stuff can come later. Firstly lets think of a working an informative website.
Swordfish

Postby Swordfish » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:55 pm

Jackanape wrote:Not a bad thing at all!

I like it! What does everyone else think? Seems a good layout to start with--and perfect for plugging in Coranto generated content. My first question would be, can it be written as a liquid layout? I'm noting that this mockup is built on the 800x600 model, which is standard, but on laptops, etc, it can look a little scrunched up...

Better like this perhaps?
Swordfish

Postby Jackanape » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:03 pm

Oh, yeah, I love it!
Jackanape

Postby Dale Ray » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:40 pm

I think the suggested layout should be centered in the viewport.

Can we get the same design with CSS instead of tabled?
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Jackanape » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:37 pm

Dale wrote:I think the suggested layout should be centered in the viewport.

Can we get the same design with CSS instead of tabled?

The fixed width is definitely an issue, it would probably be best to guage it by %, instead, so it can adjust to a viewer's screen size. Then, it can be centered all the time, but essentially filling up the screen.

This would be an easy conversion to css, so it shouldn't be a problem...Sword, how proficient in CSS are you?
Jackanape

Postby Swordfish » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:56 pm

Just sent you a PM Jack....my CSS is not that good, and the rewrite to full CSS is something I need help doing.

I centered the whole page with a fixed width of 1000px. Better? :lol:

Work in progress, work in progress....
Swordfish

Postby SrNupsen » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:59 pm

I like it a lot. Well done, and keep going!
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
SrNupsen

Postby Jackanape » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:10 am

Got your PMs. We'll get what you've done so far online here, and go from there. My CSS is pretty strong, but my time is stretched thin just doing what I'm doing here.

There have been some other web developers who have volunteered help and advice, maybe someone can help us along those lines?
Jackanape

Postby Dale Ray » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:56 am

Here is a stab at a css only version.

http://corantodemo.net/test/

Maybe someone with more skills can clean it up a bit.

It is based on the Round Corners template from OSWD.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Jackanape » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:37 am

That's right along there...we can also utilize images for that, and really polish things up.

I'm going to send out a call to all the web developers on this forum who expressed an interest in helping out tonight...we'll see who turns up with the magic bullet! LOL

Either way, the design is good, and we're already well under way.
Jackanape

Postby Shiwej » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:45 am

Not bad, but I'm not sure I like the logo. We may want something cooler. Might want to move the navigation next to the logo in a horizontal line. Then the main area can extend farther to the left, and maybe get sponsors on the right side. Should also have a spotlight of sites using Coranto, and maybe the latest forum posts.

I can also help with wording when the time comes.
Shiwej

Postby GabeT » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:21 am

I'm not a very good css man, but I can help on whatever else.
GabeT

Next

Return to Coranto.org Site Development