Download repository. Some thoughts.

All input, comments, and site suggestions here.<br />All Websites are constantly evolving works in progress, so fire away!

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Download repository. Some thoughts.

Postby Swordfish » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:16 pm

**EDITED TO REMOVE CORANTO UPLOAD EXAMPLE, SINCE WE DON'T NEED IT. SOURCEFORGE DOES THAT BIT...**

I don't know how the last repository was set up. I don't know it's inner workings and I'm pretty sure that I will not be able to understand krikos invention with just a glance. So, how should we do this?

What we need:
- Access to Old, New and Future versions of Coranto
- Upload system for all of the above
- Download page, either with all versions available (current stable version advertised, and the rest in a list underneeth) or one page for Current, one for previous and one for future.
- A count system for number of downloads (Dale has one that works great, I just haven't looked at it yet.)
- All of the above, but for addons as well.

That's basically it right? Now...how to do this. I'm sure if we just get our heads together we can come up with a great solution for doing this through Coranto in a simple way (I say simple...hah.).

My way (from the top of my head)...it's a long list, and it doesn't mention all the different fields that need changing, but the most important ones. Please comment on this list and question it...

Categories
-Coranto
-Addon

X MultiSubmit profile - Coranto and Addon upload
Fields
-Category (Coranto|Addon)
-Version (Current|Previous|Beta)
-Version nr. (ex. 1.25 or 2.0b)
-Subject (Name of...)
-Text (Short explanation of addon workings, leave blank for Coranto)
-Version Info (Text field for Change list or other important/usefull info)
-Upload File (Upload and Dropdown field. Collecting files from a folder named download/<Field: Category>/files/. All coranto versions past, present and future are located here, as well as addons
**may need two fields for this, one for addons, one for coranto files, or???** )

Profiles
Addon Maginot Sliced Profile
-Filepath: ..../download/addon
-Category: Addon
-XMS: Coranto and Addon upload
-Style: Addon Page
-Template: site template
-Slice Field: subject
-Specify delimeter: /
-Slice type 2: Name it index.shtml

Addon Maginot Sliced Index
-Filepath: .../download/addon
-Category: Addon
-Style: Addon List
-Template: site template
-File title: whatever
-Slice Profile: Maginot Sliced Profile
-Slice index Sorting: Slice Field 1
-Post-Build File Renamer: New Filename, index.shtml

Coranto Current Maginot Static Profile
-Filepath: .../download/coranto
-Category: Coranto
-Style: Coranto Page
(ssi including the next profile in style, <If's> to only print if Current is selected in the XMS)
-template: site template
-Static Type: Name it index.shtml

Coranto Past & Beta Maginot Sliced Profile
-Filepath: ..download/coranto
-Category: Coranto
-Style: Coranto Versions List
(Included in the Coranto Page style, <If's> to only print the Previous and Beta choice in XMS profile)
-Sorting: By date?
-Slice Field: category
-File ext. : shtml

Summary
This will result in Three pages being built. One list containing all the Addons with a short description and a following subpage with a fuller explanation. Third page will be the a page contaning the Current version and a list underneeth with the previous versions of coranto and the future versions.

It's alot to read through, I know. And I can't guarantee that there aren't any faults. But if we start here, we can come up with something great and durable. Maybe anyone else has a great solution. Any way we find of doing this, I think using coranto is key!
Last edited by Swordfish on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hmmm.....I'd like a cup of coffe! Thanks!
Swordfish

Re: Download repository. Some thoughts.

Postby SrNupsen » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:30 pm

Swordfish wrote:What we need:
- Access to Old, New and Future versions of Coranto
- Upload system for all of the above
- Download page, either with all versions available (current stable version advertised, and the rest in a list underneeth) or one page for Current, one for previous and one for future.
- A count system for number of downloads (Dale has one that works great, I just haven't looked at it yet.)
- All of the above, but for addons as well.

Isn't SourceForge supposed to do all of this except for the last point?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby Swordfish » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:03 pm

Yeah, you're right. You got me there :? I forgot about SourceForge...But if we ignore the Coranto upload ishue, and focus on Addons then... :oops:
Swordfish

Postby SrNupsen » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:12 pm

At least that'll take some work off our shoulders :)
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
SrNupsen

Postby Swordfish » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:23 am

We'll, we still need a download repository for addons on this site. So how should we build that? My list ontop of this thread is an example of how I with my limited skills would do it. Is there any other way, or could my way be improoved?
Swordfish

Postby Lumberjack » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:18 pm

I notice that the download link on this site points to a page here. For efficiency and to avoid confusion, it should point to sourceforge, and simply make all script releases there.
Also, all open source addons can be uploaded there. As a developer I don't see that side of sourceforge, so I can't suggest how best to set that up.
Lumberjack

Postby Jackanape » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:22 pm

That's a good question...we might want to upload them as a separate module--as I did temporarily for the 1.25 files, but perhaps that's not the final solution...Maybe we need to open up a new project for Coranto Addons?

Thoughts?
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Return to Coranto.org Site Development