Strange text dropout.

All input, comments, and site suggestions here.<br />All Websites are constantly evolving works in progress, so fire away!

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Strange text dropout.

Postby Swordfish » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:26 pm

Theres a strange problem with ie6 on the frontpage of the testsite. The text for the first newsitem under the coranto add isn't there. But in ie5 and ie7 its ok. Safari and firefox aswell...the news is created by a regular profile using the the rename addon and a template into index.shtml.

Any suggestions? Here's a picture...

Hmmm.....I'd like a cup of coffe! Thanks!
Swordfish

Postby Jackanape » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:36 pm

I'm not getting this problem in IE6, did you already fix it, or is it possible the page just had trouble loading? Try relaoding it, and see if it makes a difference.

Is this IE on MAC? I've read of problems with that...
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Swordfish » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:45 pm

I've seen it that way on the PCs back at work, and at http://ipinfo.info/netrenderer/index.php when i punch in the address. I trued reloading many times.

I think I 've managed all the other problems well enough so this is the last one...ofcourse if it doesn't affect all users of ie6, maybe it just stays that way.

Oh another thing...in ie5 the whole page is aligned to the left. Any idea why?
Swordfish

Postby Jackanape » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:14 pm

IE, and its many versions are buggier than a summer picnic. I note that IE5 does that, it's probably a bug in the way it reads the "centering" css.

I wouldn't worry about it. It still works, and while there may be a small problem with the centering, most people using IE5 now, have probably had to switch to firefox to surf the web...

It doesn't work in IE4, or 3, but then again, what does, anymore?

If you have 5, 6, 7 covered, you're good.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Dale Ray » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:08 pm

In looking at the test page I see the graphic with 'Coranto Bulletin' on it and the text about 1.254 beside it.

I am using WinXP Pro and IE 6. When it renders improperly have you looked at the source of the page? Is the text that is not displayed there in the source?
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Swordfish » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:53 pm

I generally havent got access to a machine with ie5-7 on it, but as I can recall from work, the text is there if i mark it. But it does not show every time i load the page. Happened some times, but it always seemed to be there, just not visible.

If i marked the text that was missing from the bottom and up, and then clicked somewhere else on the page, the text kept visible. If I marked the text the other way the text didnt stay there when I clicked somewhere else on the page. It's seems like a strange problem to me...this was done on a workstation (thinclient...) at work with a rather strenious loggon system using a low res internet explorer...

The problem does not appear through browsershots
http://browsershots.org/website/http:// ... ite/shtml/

but does show throug ie renderer
http://ipinfo.info/netrenderer/index.php

I dont know...should we care? If anyone else experience this problem, please let me know. If not, lets forget about it.
Swordfish

Postby Jackanape » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:44 pm

Since no one else seems to see it, I'd let it go...could be a bug in the background-color/color attributes in CSS being misinterpreted and inherited improperly...

But, we don't see it :wink:
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Abbeyvet » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:12 pm

I'd say it's the peek-a-boo bug - well know CSS issue in IE.

http://www.positioniseverything.net/exp ... kaboo.html

Edited: Actually this is a better link:
http://www.cayenne.co.uk/ie7/disappearing-content.html
Abbeyvet

Postby Swordfish » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:29 am

It does not happen in IE7, but it may be the same bug perhaps...I'll look in to it when I have time. It's not on the top of things to do though. But thanks!
Swordfish

Return to Coranto.org Site Development