Begun BETA testing Forum site integration

All input, comments, and site suggestions here.<br />All Websites are constantly evolving works in progress, so fire away!

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Postby Swordfish » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:55 am

What I did for the rest of the page was some if conditionals putting br/ between the boxes for ie6/ie6

Code: Select all
....ownload</a><ul><li><a href="../download/downloads_addon.shtml">Addons</a></li></ul></li><li><a href="../forum/viewtopic.php?t=62">Support</a></li></ul>   

</div>

</div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div>

<!--[if IE 5]><br /><![endif]-->
<!--[if IE 6]><br /><![endif]-->
      <div id="corner_lc">
   <div id="corner_rc">
   <div id="corner_tc">
   <div id="corner_bc">   
   <div id="corner_bl">
   <div id="corner_br">
   <div id="corner_tl">

<div id="corner_tr">
   <div class="box">
   <h3>Stable Version:</h3>
   <h2>Coranto 1.24b</h2>
        <p>was released on Wednesday, January 31 2007 and is our latest stable release.

<ul>
<li><a href="../download/">Download</a></li>
<li><a href="ht tp: //go coranto.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=87">Release notes</a></li>

</ul>
</p>

</div>
   </div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div>

<!--[if IE 5]><br /><![endif]-->
<!--[if IE 6]><br /><![endif]-->   
      <div id="corner_lc">
   <div id="corner_rc">
   <div id="corner_tc">

<div id="corner_bc">   
   <div id="corne...

That cleared the problem with the boxes on the right...you know what the other problem is :)

Dont you think it's possible for us to use the same source files for the html that I use for the site on the forums? Thinking that has to easier....at least the same content on the right side obviously.
Hmmm.....I'd like a cup of coffe! Thanks!
Swordfish

Postby Jackanape » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:23 pm

Everyone please test it out one more time...should this work on the archives, I'll port it over to the main forums...
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Swordfish » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:37 pm

You could set the width of the content box just bit higher i guess. And inside the if ie tags you knly need one brake tag. Other than that, looks great.
Swordfish

Postby SrNupsen » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:57 pm

I wonder why I bought a 19'' screen when I still only get 3 words per line - that is, why is 20% to the left and 20% to the right unused space? The front page of the forums (especially with the bulleted points in forum descriptions) just look terrible. Could we use more of the screen for info, and less for that handsome red color?

Otherwise, the site is very slick and nice.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby Swordfish » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:58 pm

If you remember, this was a disscution early on. I actually made a sugestion that was 1000px wide and I think it worked quite well. Someone however turned against it and stated that we should consider that there are people working with screen resolutions of 800x600. Personally I think that is i almost like having to adjust to the same fact that there are users out there with IE4 or 3 also...wich is an uneducated guess by the way, so don't quote me on it.

I dont se any reason why we cant run the site with a wider solution, If not the whole site, at least the forums. The website in it self doesn't have that much text and can easily be run like it is now, but the forum would benifit from a wider solution.

And lastly, the whole liquid appose to static(like now) discussion we've done before. And I still don't think it's a good solution for this type of "boxed" design (liquid that is), and you won't find me doing it. If people have small screens...SCROLL! :)

So people...it's time for a poll (it's a pitty we dont have polls on the forum....("smooth calling voice"...Jackanape?!) I'm starting a new thread about it.

EDIT: I'm ashamed....we have polls....sorry....
Swordfish

Postby SrNupsen » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:59 pm

OK - I don't mean to whine about the great effort you've put into the design, I was just kind of shocked when I couldn't seem to get used to the forum integration.

According to recent statistics, 14-15% of users still have 800x600. I say make them scroll. Or, if you suddenly have a huge amount of time on your hands, rip some javascript solution off somewhere that sets css based on screen resolution.

SrNupsen

Postby Jackanape » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:21 pm

My suggestion was always to go with a "liquid" design, allowing the main body to expand the full size of the screen. It is still an easy task to achieve.

I vehemently oppose any site design that "forces" people to scroll horizontally--even if it's only 15% of those people--when the solution is a simple design decision. At the time, I believe the fixed width box design was decided upon by everyone involved, so there we have it.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Swordfish » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:45 am

Jackanape wrote: At the time, I believe the fixed width box design was decided upon by everyone involved, so there we have it.

I feel just the same. But I understand those of you that whine....

....okay, you don't whine :lol: But I get the picture.

I just wish I had the money to by a 19/20/21/23/30 inch screen...and the hardware.
Swordfish

Postby Jackanape » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:44 pm

Please take a look at the Archives for my quick "band-aid" for the variable site width. There is a gap issue in IE6 and 5.5, but I'm not sure why yet...probably margins somewhere...

When viewing it in Firefox, it's good, and should be compliant in Safari/Opera, but I'm not sure.

To comment further on my statement above:

When I say I vehemently oppose the "forcing" of users to scroll horizontally, what I mean to illuminate is the importance on not only compliant code, but accessibility issues, as well...

I think Gilbert said the site should be "cutting-edge", and he's right. But, even more important, we should be taking accessibility and compliance very seriously, as well. Since this isn't intended to be our personal web page, but an effort at spreading Coranto world-wide, this is an important consideration.

Problems with increasing fixed-width to 1000 include, but are not limited to:

-Those who still use the 800px width screen-resolution (and those who sometimes ACCESS the web from such systems) will not even see the menu to the right, and may not even know to scroll. Many of those people are visually impaired, and its important for them to be able to see the site on their screen.

-A 1000 pixel site still looks small on the REALLY large monitors, so solves no real design problem.

-Returning to the visual issue, try increasing your text size on both versions of style--this forum, and the archives. On the archives, you can up your text size 4 times before encountering a usability issue--at least at my 1280x800 rez--but only twice with a fixed width, before the page breaks.

-We need to make no mistake, many web designers work at home out of necessity, as much as convenience. Some have sight and health issues, and it is easier for them to work from their computer at home. If this site breaks before they can even read it, it's a cinch they won't be back.

Whew...another good rant for me! LOL

Basically, all I'm saying is increasing the fixed width is NOT the solution.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Swordfish » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:22 pm

Okay. I see your point...but at least make the column on the right fixed width! If you do that, I won't dress myself in black and play blues all day.

...maybe just a ribbon...
Swordfish

Postby Jackanape » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:18 pm

Swordfish wrote:Okay. I see your point...but at least make the column on the right fixed width! If you do that, I won't dress myself in black and play blues all day.

...maybe just a ribbon...

I don't get the ribbon part...?

As for fixed width plus % width, I don't believe that's possible via CSS...there may be another solution, but I haven't found it yet.

You have to use either all %, or all fixed measurements...it's silly, but it's the rules...

Please be sure to give your input, EVERYONE. We're not rolling out 1.25 until the site is final, and we need to hear from you...I'm a little sour that we only heard about the 800 fixed width issue NOW, and not before we spent all the time putting it together--not to mention the days I spent editing the forum templates to make them fit.

It's speak up now, or forever hold your peace time... :wink:

As much as I HATE to say it, the only real solution to what you want, design-wise, is a table. You might be able to imbed one into your wrapper div...
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Swordfish » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:33 pm

...ribbon...like a black ribbon? It was a terrible joke anyway. When english is not my native language, things like this happen. :?

But you can as far as I know define the right id to be set at width: 150px; and content at width: XXX%; ? I'm new at this, so I'm just rambling. But it has to be possible, it has to be :x

But I hve to say that I agree with Sr. on this one

According to recent statistics, 14-15% of users still have 800x600. I say make them scroll. Or, if you suddenly have a huge amount of time on your hands, rip some javascript solution off somewhere that sets css based on screen resolution.
Swordfish

Postby Jackanape » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:39 pm

Nope, like I added above, that's only possible via a table...and that just seems so 20th century...LOL

It's also interesting to not that the W3schools, the source of those statistics, takes the number of 800 px width users seriously enough to have designed their site under the same restrictions...or am I the only one to notice this?

Perhaps the discussion is entirely moot?
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby SrNupsen » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:09 pm

Suggestion only:

1. Make the logo clickable, pointing back to the main page

2. Put forum-relevant links (The right-hand container box with FAQ, Search etc.) on forum header (like it was before)

3. Do not display other right-hand containers when inside forum

4. Expand forum size to 800px.

Most users won't switch between forum and other parts of site (at least they didn't on the old site), and so removing the boxes to the right (ONLY when browsing the forum, that is) will free the necessary space to view forum comfortably.

SrNupsen

Postby Dale Ray » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:09 am

Would it more appropriate to point he documentation link to:

http://www.corantodemo.net/wiki/
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

PreviousNext

Return to Coranto.org Site Development