Upgrade script to Coranto 1.31.x

Archive of notes and cross input on Dev versions of Coranto (1.25.1 and Older)

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Upgrade script to Coranto 1.31.x

Postby Parahead » Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:06 pm

I plan on start coding the upgrade script that will make it possible to upgrade live installations of Coranto 1.24 or below to Coranto 1.31.x and I would like to have some feedback on this before I start.

I plan to make the actual upgrade script just a file called "crupgrade.cgi" (or similar) which should be placed in the Coranto root folder, chmoded correctly and then directing the browser towards this file for a web interface to interact through during the upgrade.

What I am thinking about is how much of the upgrade that should perform automatic tasks and how much should be manual work done by the person doing the upgrade. Doing things automatically is convenient for the person doing the upgrade, but it requires alot of error checks to make sure everything is really done correctly by the script.

1) As you know by now the 1.31.x series have a new folder structure and the addons/templates/data-files needs to be moved to the correct folders somehow. Should the upgrade script automatically create the correct subfolders and move the files into the them or should this be something the admin user should do himself through FTP?

2) The Coranto core files needs to be replaced during the upgrade and I have an idea about creating a subfolder (called "upgrade" or similar) where all the all Coranto 1.31.x files should be placed and when running the upgrade script the currently used Coranto core files are replaced with the 1.31.x versions... Of course this can also be done manually by the admin?

3) Since we have some addons which is not updated to handle the new folder structure, should a test for enabled addons and versions be done at the very begining of the upgrade and give the user a warning if addons we are aware of that does not handle the folder structure is found? Of course let the admin choose to proceed with the upgrade anyway, if he for example has applied fixes from the forum to the addons.

Anyone else that has ideas about how the upgrade script should work?
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby bozoka45 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:23 pm

I realize it's more work, but I think the easier it is for the user, the less inane questions we'll have to ask later. I think the "upgrade" folder is a good idea, because what happens when someone uploads the new 1.31.x files into the root directory and doesn't run the upgrade script? There's headaches.

I also think the script should move files to the new directories. That doesn't seem hard at all, and will simply things for people that aren't good with FTP.
bozoka45

Postby YushDon » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:35 am

I have found Coranto to be probably the easiest perl-based scripts to use and get into, so for me ease of installation and use count as priority number one.

However, nothing beats having good, clear instructions on how to do, modify, configure or update applications, especially if it is to attract and sustain the interest of current but more likely new users to Coranto.

I would heartily volunteer to help in the production of any clearly written, non-technical manual or setup, if it would help facilitate your proposed quest to do this Coranto 1.31.x upgrade script.
YushDon

Postby faithless » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:46 pm

Something similar to $addon->isPrivacyCompatible could be incorporated and the upgrade programme could then just test each addon for compliance and disable or warn the user about addons that are not compliant or tested by their authors with the new folder structure.

This will essentially shift responsibility of testing to the addon authors who know their work best, rather than put the work on a test group that has to take into account all of the publicly available addons and blindly testing the huge number of them.

To get addon authors to update their addons, with the number of current addon developers that have left, got banned or potentially abandoned development altogether, might not be feasible thou.
faithless

Postby Parahead » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:56 pm

faithless wrote:Something similar to $addon->isPrivacyCompatible could be incorporated and the upgrade programme could then just test each addon for compliance and disable or warn the user about addons that are not compliant or tested by their authors with the new folder structure.
Yes, this is a good idea! Like you say, it would be hard to actually have a stable solution if the addons where disabled if not complying to this "directory seal" though because of the lack of support from the original addon authors... It could still be implemented I think, but only used as advice or information that the addon has been tested and can handle the new folder structure, but that does not mean if it lacks the seal that it doesn't work.

I have worked with a solution for upgrading and has covered some ground now, I was planning on making a package and release 1.31.5 soon, so people could give feedback but I think I will experiment a little with the directory seal before doing that though...
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby YushDon » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:45 am

Something similar to $addon->isPrivacyCompatible could be incorporated and the upgrade programme could then just test each addon for compliance and disable or warn the user about addons that are not compliant or tested by their authors with the new folder structure.

That is indeed a good idea faithless. I was also thinking that maybe even before downloading an add-on a user could be given some indication on the add on page or somewhere prominent to indicate the compatibility of add-ons to what Coranto version.

This could be easily done visibily on the add on page and it would save much frustration of having to download a file only to find it's not compatible with your version of Coranto.
YushDon

Postby Feathers » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:00 am

YushDon wrote:That is indeed a good idea faithless. I was also thinking that maybe even before downloading an add-on a user could be given some indication on the add on page or somewhere prominent to indicate the compatibility of add-ons to what Coranto version.

Which is fine, only as long as the addons in question are actually on the addons page. The reality is, however, that quite a number are publicised only in these forums such that any indication will end up either being provided by the author or not at all.

Half a system is better than none but it's still a less than ideal solution.
Mike
(Maintaining the vB3Comments addon)
Feathers

Return to Coranto Development Archives -- 1.25.1 and Older