New beta release: 1.31.4 !

Archive of notes and cross input on Dev versions of Coranto (1.25.1 and Older)

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

New beta release: 1.31.4 !

Postby SrNupsen » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:28 pm

Good evening from Oslo.

Progress is being made towards the next stable version of Coranto. This beta release contains a couple of bugfixes- The time left for the next stable release depends solely on your eagerness to test it out.

So please - take it for a spin today, and tell us how it went :)

CHANGELOG:

* Bugfix, during the setup the public/private, urgent notification and version checking options was not handled properly.
* Bugfix, now the file lock in CRopen when writing to file is non-blocking (eg. now LOCK_EX | LOCK_NB) to prevent deadlocks.
* Bugfix, improved the filter when searching for addons in sub OpenAddons, to prevent unwanted files to be matched.
* Updated the text slightly for the 'News Files Path' and 'Archive Files Path' settings at the 'Edit File Paths' page.
* Replaced the previous newsdat.txt dummie generation scripts with the updated more versatile version by Dale Ray.

Release date: 12th of February 2006 (Parahead)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby AndyP » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:06 pm

Planning to do so tomorrow. Thanks for the time and effort.
AndyP

Postby Dale Ray » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:36 am

With the Two Box Column Layout and Show a Headline above Each Option Setting enabled I am getting two occurrences of the link to the Change Settings page.

You can see it once in the General Settings area and another time in the Addons area.

I am using IE6 on WinXP.

EDIT: Also, in the addons section you can see Header listed as an option when clicked this simply reloads the admin page. The link form "Header" is h**p://beta/coranto/coranto.cgi?session=ccwajajikuIAqEdovj&x=196&action=admin&adminarea=

All of this occurs with NO addons enabled. The problems disappeared after enabling the Categories addon.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Dale Ray » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:46 am

On the admin page the text describing "Change Settings" is:
Code: Select all
Change a wide variety of program settings, including file paths.

The file paths settings are not available from this link. Perhaps change to:

Change most global Coranto settings.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Dale Ray » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:58 am

When applying a headline to the sections of the admin page I would group:

Change Settings
    Date and Time Settings
    Edit File Paths
    Addon Manager
Under a heading of "Global Settings"

I would put:

Edit Users
    Edit User Fields
Under a headng of "User Management"

I suggest that Full Rebuild be dropped from the section headed "News & Fields Configuration" leaving:

Edit News Styles
    Manage Profiles
    Edit News Fields
Full Rebuild should, IMHO, stand on its own under a separate heading.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Dale Ray » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:07 am

When section headers are turned on this shows up as the last section on the Main Coranto page:

The Submity News link does go to the submit news page the link "Header" just reloads the Main page and has this url:

h**p://beta/coranto/coranto.cgi?session=ccwajajikuIAqEdovj&x=77&action=
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Parahead » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:49 pm

Thanks for your reports Dale Ray, I will update the label for the "Change Settings" like you suggest.

Regarding the strange options at the end of both the Main Page and Admin Page (when no addons enabled) I have made a fix for this now. If you want a quick fix, please open up the file crcore.pl and search for a line like this (around line ~740):
if ($i && $twoRows) {
Change that to this instead:
if ($i > 0 && $twoRows) {
The fix I have implemented is better than this and will be included into the next release, but a little longer codewise, so like I said, this would be a *quick* fix if you or anyone else is disturbed by this until next release...

Regarding the sections at the Admin Page and your suggestion to group them differently, I have implemented it like you suggested now just to test and I like it, so I will use that grouping in the next release.
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby Dale Ray » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:43 pm

Parahead,

Right now I am testing the beta on a local install and not using it for an active site, but thanks for the quick fix. The stuff I posted above was what I noticed after installation.

I am going to test more when time permits. I realize that more input you get the quicker you can get a release ready.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby muttly » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:23 pm

I started an install last night. Multipart (without thumbs) seems to work fine. So far, I've seen 2 error messages.

The first was a single notice about f-lock which seems to have disappeared before I could isolate what addon where it was coming from.

The 2nd one is 'Couldn't find addon cra_addonenabler.pl.'

The addon admin screen loads and off/on options can be selected, then attempts to enable on/off addons in bulk gives me the error. Addon manager works as expected. I suspect there is a path problem somewhere in cra_addonenabler.pl that doesn't account for the new file structure, but I haven't had a chance to investigate any further.

Addons loaded, but not all tested yet

cra_addonenabler.pl
cra_annerice.pl
cra_chameleon.pl
cra_changedatenew.pl
cra_copynews.pl
cra_cpyprof.pl
cra_customfields.pl
cra_erde.pl
cra_maginot.pl
cra_multipart.pl
cra_nobr.pl
cra_numericnewsid.pl
cra_prisoner.pl
cra_sortorders.pl
cra_styledebugger.pl
cra_topbottomnewsfields.pl
muttly

Postby Parahead » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:31 pm

muttly wrote:The 2nd one is 'Couldn't find addon cra_addonenabler.pl.'

The addon admin screen loads and off/on options can be selected, then attempts to enable on/off addons in bulk gives me the error. Addon manager works as expected. I suspect there is a path problem somewhere in cra_addonenabler.pl that doesn't account for the new file structure, but I haven't had a chance to investigate any further.
Yes, I think that would be the cause. Another addon I think also will have problems with the new folder structure is the Moveit! addon.
Parahead

Postby Dale Ray » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:20 pm

New Directory Structure

Some addons have trouble with the new directory structure in the 1.31.x beta. I suggest that you first test an install using the new separate structure for addons. It is intended to clear up the clutter in the Coranto directory and make managing addons easier. Make a list of the addons that don't work and post them here.

As a second step to make sure that the reason that the addon isn't working is the directory structure and that there are no other compatibility issues set the addon folder to be the same as the Coranto directory and copy all of your addons to the Coranto directory. This simulates the directory structure of the current 1.24 release. Test again and report results.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Parahead » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:23 pm

Dale Ray, I totaly agree with you about the steps you suggest, and I welcome *all* reports about addons tested with Coranto 1.31.x, both positive and negative test results. A small note though, since the problems for the addons is not really the specific addon folder, but instead the other folders like the folder "templates", which might cause trouble for an addon that needs to locate templates. An example is the Template Editor addon which needs to be updated with this template folder name, like in your suggested fix found here.

Another thing is that the params "nsettingspath", "nsbkpath" and "cfgpath" in cruser.pl that previously specified the location of the individual files nsettings.cgi, nsbk.cgi and crcfg.dat respectively has been replaced by the single param "data_path" instead which indicates the directory these files all should be located in. Normally this is no problem because these files are only loaded from within Coranto, not by addons directly. However, the newsdat.txt file previously located in the default HTML output folder (eg. $CConfig{'htmlfile_path'}) is now also located in the data folder, since that is where it truly belonged. Normally this is not a problem either, but as we have mentioned over and over again, testing of addons is required to make sure.

And while posting in this thread, I can mention that I am currently working on the upgrade code so that it will be easier for users with Coranto 1.24 (or below) to upgrade to 1.31.x. As much as possible (and within reasonable limits) will be automated, but certain steps during the upgrade will need a human hand (if the user has edited the params in coranto.cgi / viewnews.cgi or added custom code in the cruser.pl file for example).
Parahead

Postby Von Snellfharer » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:20 am

"Coranto 1.31.4 - Testers still wanted"

Well.

I have some trouble removing some posts.
Example:
I have a post that i edited the title on and moved to another category.
Now the same post appears on two places with the old and the new title.

Seems like either Cor. 1.31.4 or X-Multisubmit is lazy cleaning profiles

I suspect that xmultisubmit is not doing a full job here but i'm not sure yet because i have this problem on two servers.
One install doesn't have X-Multisubmit but have this problem.
The other have X-Multisubmit but behaves better without it, cleaning profiles that is supposed to be empty, properly.

EDIT:

Further testing, seems like 1.31.4 doenen't write profiles when there is no posts in them.
Thereby producing an include error or fail to renew a profile with no content.

EDIT2:

Workaround: made a category called "nothing" and made the style write eh... nothing when posting from this category.
Von Snellfharer

Postby Parahead » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:34 pm

Von Snellfharer wrote:I have a post that i edited the title on and moved to another category.
Now the same post appears on two places with the old and the new title.
Some work has been done to improve this, I am sure about it, but I don't remember exactly the specifics, I will look into it...

Von Snellfharer wrote:Further testing, seems like 1.31.4 doenen't write profiles when there is no posts in them.
Thereby producing an include error or fail to renew a profile with no content.
It is correct that empty profiles is not producing an outputfile and if there was newsitems in a profile and all is removed the outputfile is not "cleaned". This is an old problem that has always existed in Coranto and it has not been adressed in 1.31.x (yet), however there exists an addon called EmptyProfile which takes care of this problem already. This has been discussed here along with some other addons...
Parahead

Postby Parahead » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:25 pm

Von Snellfharer, I have not been able to reproduce your problems. When moving newsitems from one Category to another the profiles get updated correctly. It is also working when I change a newsitem from one XMS submit page to another. In both instances I have had the profile set to filter on only one category and XMS submit page and it works just like it should. If you still experience problems please post more details about your setup and the steps you take so I can try and replicate the scenario...

Regarding empty profiles I do agree that Coranto does not handle them that good, but this is a rather seldom occuring event and there is an addon called Empty Profile which with the latest release works on both Coranto 1.24 and Coranto 1.31.x, so please use that if you are in need of this functionality. Yes, the addon is very basic in functionality and has clearly the potential to be improved some day...
Parahead

Return to Coranto Development Archives -- 1.25.1 and Older