New beta release: 1.31.3

Archive of notes and cross input on Dev versions of Coranto (1.25.1 and Older)

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

New beta release: 1.31.3

Postby SrNupsen » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:50 pm

There's a new beta version out. We really need your help to test it sufficiently for a stable release to be possible.

NOTE:

* This is a beta release. Please don't use it on a live site, or at least one you don't backup very regularly.
* There is no upgrade script (yet). If you use this version, then please use a clean install (don't overwrite your old installation)-

Changelog (since 1.31.2):

# Bugfix, during setup it was not possible to choose No/Off for UrgentNotification and VersionChecking.
# Bugfix, typo in call to the AreYouSure-page in sub RemoveUser prevented users from being deleted.
# Removed printing of AutoLinkURL in the Debug_ShowConfig sub since it isn't used anymore.
# Bugfix, the 'Parse Links'-regex that translated back the URL when Modifying news was too greedy.
# Added new field for 'Parse Links' making it possible to add custom attributes to autogenerated links.
# Introduced a 'previous page'-button at the Modify News page, making it easier to browse the newsitems.
# Improved the 'Jump To Date' at Modify News page (now dynamic year droplist and selected date is remembered).
# Bugfix, the Search at Modify News page lost focus of the selected field when pressing 'next'-button during search.
# Minor update of the regex that handles the FakeSSI tags in sub ProcessTMPL.
# Updated sub PrintFunctionList to handle both old option layout and the new 'Facelift' look.
# Added two settings (OptionsLayout and OptionsLayoutHeader) at Change Settings page, so that the prefered layout can be choosen.
# Improved the file lock handling in sub SaveCConfig (in file crlib.pl).
# Added debugmessages in sub SaveCConfig to be able to keep an eye on any file lock problems.
# Added an Edit-link to the choosen style at the Profile Settings and Archive pages for quick access.

Again: Help us test it!

DOWNLOAD
Last edited by SrNupsen on Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby Parahead » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:48 am

OK, so there are alot of people waiting for new things to happen with Coranto. As some of you know there is rather large changes/improvements that has been discussed from time to time; a new database layer, a new graphical look (Facelift look), improved language support, change of folder structure, and so on...

Since some of these changes will make addons 'disfunctional' not all of the above functions has been implemented and will have to wait untill the next development round up. The focus with 1.31.x is now to get it stable as it is with the current functionality, which do contain some nice improvements if you add up all the changelogs since 1.24.

There is a new folder structure in Coranto making it more clean and easy to maintain. However, there is some addons that will need to be updated to handle this, the Template editor for example. Please check out addons and report back (in a *new* thread) about problems you encounter with that addon and clearly state which version of Coranto it is used used together with (1.31.3 in this case). The previous 1.31.2 thread do contain some info about this and there really isn't many addons that have problems, but we need to dig up the ones that do... Any addon author, check out the first page of the 1.31.2 thread for info about the new path variables available.

Also, previously there was a user starting on a language script in this thread, but never completed it. Since this is a side project it would be a very good task for someone with Perl skills to complete.

Anyone that would like to take a look at the documentation for the installation procedure is welcome to take a step forward.

So, as SrNupsen say, please test this release out and report back both your good experience as well as the bad ones, since if an addon do work without any problems it is good info for us too...
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby Von Snellfharer » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:03 pm

Long time... a LOT to do!

Tested 3.x and found that copy profile does not work.

Besides that, there isn't much to say, it worked well with a more tidy file structure.

Will test the latest version.
Von Snellfharer

Postby Parahead » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:08 pm

Von Snellfharer wrote:Long time... a LOT to do!
Just to be clear: Are you saying that you have had a lot to do or that we have a lot to do?

Von Snellfharer wrote:Tested 3.x and found that copy profile does not work.

Besides that, there isn't much to say, it worked well with a more tidy file structure.

Please, this kind of report is not very good. You have tested which version of which addon together with which version of Coranto? And could you please elaborate "does not work" a little? At what point does it not work, what happened and do you get an error message? The above advice applies to all others reporting potential problems and maybe more people would do good reading this, particulary the "When You Ask" section(s).

However, please note that the Profile Copier Version 1.01 addon (which I think is what you talk about) does not work as intended in Coranto 1.24 either. The problem is the "Display Name" option which makes the addon confused. If you copy a profile it looks like there is no new profile, right? But if you rename the profile (using the "Display Name" setting) you will find out that you have two profiles, one with the old name and one with the new name. But yes, the addon would need an upgrade.
Parahead

I think I found one!

Postby Zexion_ » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:54 am

So I decided to check the latest ver on a production server (haha! I know!)
Anyway...

Using the following addons (which to me are a must to do anything useful with coranto).
Maginot build 10
Multipart 1.55 build 21
template editor 1.00
X Multisubmit 2.0 beta 6

THese are addons I have been using for years now on my 1.24 install and I know work perfectly on that version.

Here is how I create the bug:
1) Setup one or more X MultiSubmit pages
2) Create a profile that builds news from a selected XMS profile
3) submit news to using that Xsubmit page
4) Full rebuild
5) Full rebuild again

The profile keeps adding up the item to the list everytime you rebuild, so if you rebuild 20X you will end up with 20 items.

IF you add a second item using the same XMS page, the bug goes away and the profile only displays the 2 items. DELETE one of the items and the problems restarts. the profile wont even delete the item you just deleted, it will simply continue to add to it everytime you rebuild.

Quick question... Are some of the other addons working on 1.30? sumaleths a2z, the filter by field addons, the SORT addons (very important). I'm using all kinds of perl code to make sure filter by field and sort orders play with each other, wonder if new ver of coranto/addons make it work by default.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.
Zexion_

Re: I think I found one!

Postby Parahead » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:49 pm

Zexion wrote:Maginot build 10
Multipart 1.55 build 21
template editor 1.00
X Multisubmit 2.0 beta 6
You are using old versions of all of these addons... Currently Maginot build 16, Multipart 1.59, Template Editor 1.01 and XMS 2.4.2 is the latest ones. To the best of my knowledge those versions of XMS and Maginot is working with 1.31.3, at least on my installation... If you read my post above you would also have noticed that the Template Editor addon is having problems with the new folder structure, please read this thread for more info on how to solve that.

Zexion wrote:Here is how I create the bug:
1) Setup one or more X MultiSubmit pages
2) Create a profile that builds news from a selected XMS profile
3) submit news to using that Xsubmit page
4) Full rebuild
5) Full rebuild again

The profile keeps adding up the item to the list everytime you rebuild, so if you rebuild 20X you will end up with 20 items.

IF you add a second item using the same XMS page, the bug goes away and the profile only displays the 2 items. DELETE one of the items and the problems restarts. the profile wont even delete the item you just deleted, it will simply continue to add to it everytime you rebuild.
I have tried to replicate this scenario but has not been able to reproduce the problem. I guess it is a normal profile? Any particular settings?

Zexion wrote:Quick question... Are some of the other addons working on 1.30? sumaleths a2z, the filter by field addons, the SORT addons (very important). I'm using all kinds of perl code to make sure filter by field and sort orders play with each other, wonder if new ver of coranto/addons make it work by default.
I am not using the Alphabet Pages addon, but reading the description it sounds like a Maginot Sliced profile can achive the same thing (if for some reason the A2Z-addon would have problem)... I see no reason why FilterByField and Sort Orders addon shouldn't work, but like both SrNupsen and me have stated, the hole point of conducting heavy tests of the this release is to find out these things... Using the latest versions of each individual addon is a must then though.

I appreciate people taking the time to test out the release, but I encourage you to use the latest release of an addon and be specific when you report problems, since otherwise it just takes more time and divert focus...
Parahead

Postby Von Snellfharer » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:03 pm

Parahead wrote:
Von Snellfharer wrote:Long time... a LOT to do!
Just to be clear: Are you saying that you have had a lot to do or that we have a lot to do?

Von Snellfharer wrote:Tested 3.x and found that copy profile does not work.

Please, this kind of report is not very good. You have tested which version of which addon together with which version of Coranto? And could you please elaborate "does not work" a little? At what point does it not work, what happened and do you get an error message? The above advice applies to all others reporting potential problems and maybe more people would do good reading this, particulary the "When You Ask" section(s).

However, please note that the Profile Copier Version 1.01 addon (which I think is what you talk about) does not work as intended in Coranto 1.24 either. The problem is the "Display Name" option which makes the addon confused. If you copy a profile it looks like there is no new profile, right? But if you rename the profile (using the "Display Name" setting) you will find out that you have two profiles, one with the old name and one with the new name. But yes, the addon would need an upgrade.

Iv'e had a lot to do... no time for testing.

However, i have tested 1.31.1 with the latest profile copier (dunno version, downloaded the latest).
What happened was that the new copied profiles did not appear in the profile list.
However, if you open the original profile and edit the address line/path (in your browser), you can reach the new copied hidden profile and edit this.
After doing this the new profile is listed and works.

So, now i'm testing 1.31.3...
Von Snellfharer

Postby Parahead » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:36 pm

Von Snellfharer wrote:However, i have tested 1.31.1 with the latest profile copier (dunno version, downloaded the latest).
What happened was that the new copied profiles did not appear in the profile list.
However, if you open the original profile and edit the address line/path (in your browser), you can reach the new copied hidden profile and edit this.
After doing this the new profile is listed and works.
And like I said above, this is not a problem introduced by the 1.31.x series of Coranto, the addon does not work properly with Coranto 1.24 either and is caused by the "Display Name" setting for the profiles which the addon does not handle at all. This setting was introduced in Coranto 1.03-RC1 (January 2003) so the addon simply needs to be updated to handle this. What I could do is make a check in Coranto when a new profile is created that the "Display Name" is unique, but this will more or less cause the addon to not work at all, since you are currently not allowed to rename the (display) name of the new profile when you copy it, only the internal name.

[EDIT]Check out this thread which contains a fix for the Profile Copier addon[/EDIT]
Parahead

Postby Von Snellfharer » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:29 pm

Hi.

Using 131.2 and ChangeDateNew 3.5.6 i noticed the following.

When trying to disable the timeoption this doesn't happen
When editing an article that is previously posted with future in and out dates, the future publish date doesn't stay. I would have to enter the future dat again when editing.

I have not upgraded to 131.4 yet because this is the only problems that has occured.

I find the new 131.x version a lot better that 1.24
Somehow i the 1.24 tend to corrupt the newsdat.txt or nsettings file so that rebuilding just takes forever until it times out by the server.
This corrupts all work done setting up everything.

Somehow i suspect CopyProfile for this.

I haven't figured out what is corrupted in the files but found installing 131 a better solution.
Von Snellfharer

Postby Parahead » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:26 pm

Von Snellfharer wrote:When trying to disable the timeoption this doesn't happen
This is a confirmed bug. It will only happen if you don't have the XMS addon enabled. Open up cra_changedatenew.pl and find a line like this:
Code: Select all
print FieldsRow('Alter submission time?<br>Optional (hh:mm:ss)', '<input type="text" name="ChangeDateNew_Time">');
and change it to this instead:
print FieldsRow('Alter submission time?<br>Optional (hh:mm:ss)', '<input type="text" name="ChangeDateNew_Time">') if($CConfig{'ChangeDateNew_TimeFilter'});
I will include this fix into the next release of CDN.

Von Snellfharer wrote:When editing an article that is previously posted with future in and out dates, the future publish date doesn't stay. I would have to enter the future dat again when editing.
No need to enter it again, you can see the date the newsitem was published at the very first row (the uneditable one) and this is the one that will be used if you leave the date/time field empty. You only need to enter a value for the empty change date field at the Modify News page if you actually want to change the submission date.

Von Snellfharer wrote:Somehow i the 1.24 tend to corrupt the newsdat.txt or nsettings file so that rebuilding just takes forever until it times out by the server.

As you can see from my post just above there is already a confirmed problem with the Copy Profile addon, both with 1.24 and 1.31.x, and if you follow the link there is a solution.
Parahead

Postby Von Snellfharer » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:41 am

Parahead wrote:
Von Snellfharer wrote:Somehow i the 1.24 tend to corrupt the newsdat.txt or nsettings file so that rebuilding just takes forever until it times out by the server.

As you can see from my post just above there is already a confirmed problem with the Copy Profile addon, both with 1.24 and 1.31.x, and if you follow the link there is a solution.

Well, the solution made Copy Profile do absolutely nothing.
- no profile copy present after atempt to copy.
- no errors or corruption of Cor.

I also try to go to the copied profile by url but it doesn't exist.
So i think the solution equals turning C.P. off :-)
Von Snellfharer

Postby Von Snellfharer » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:49 am

Parahead wrote:
Von Snellfharer wrote:When trying to disable the timeoption this doesn't happen
This is a confirmed bug. It will only happen if you don't have the XMS addon enabled. Open up cra_changedatenew.pl and find a line like this:
print FieldsRow('Alter submission time?<br>Optional (hh:mm:ss)', '<input type="text" name="ChangeDateNew_Time">');
and change it to this instead:
print FieldsRow('Alter submission time?<br>Optional (hh:mm:ss)', '<input type="text" name="ChangeDateNew_Time">') if($CConfig{'ChangeDateNew_TimeFilter'});
I will include this fix into the next release of CDN.

And to make things complete, there are two equal lines that needs to be changed.
Von Snellfharer

Postby Parahead » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:00 pm

Von Snellfharer wrote:Well, the solution made Copy Profile do absolutely nothing.
- no profile copy present after atempt to copy.
- no errors or corruption of Cor.

I also try to go to the copied profile by url but it doesn't exist.
So i think the solution equals turning C.P. off :-)
And I have verified that this solution works in both Coranto 1.24 and 1.31.3, so I think it is something else, maybe a problem applying the solution correctly for example? Linebreaks in the forum can play tricks on you... If someone else in the community has applied the fix from that thread, please come forward and let us know if it works for you or not.

Regarding the fix in Change Date New, there is only *one* line that this needs to be applied to, the second one. For the first occurance the IF-statement is already applied. It doesn't hurt to apply it to the first one as well, but redundant... My misstake not to point this out though.
Parahead

Return to Coranto Development Archives -- 1.25.1 and Older