Coranto 1.31.2 BETA

Archive of notes and cross input on Dev versions of Coranto (1.25.1 and Older)

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Postby Broomsy » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:49 am

I think you should make MySql a core feature now. It is supported by loads of web hosting companies now for free and would set up the script for the future.
Broomsy

Postby SrNupsen » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:03 am

Nice to see you on the forums again!

kriko wrote:PS (2): We can never have a perfect system. Whenever we try to make something ideal - something that could be perfectly adaptable to different situations then it would get too bloated. If we try to make it strict then it would be too limited. A middle way has to be found, but finding that middle way is hard.

Nope, not that hard. It's called addons :wink:

And that's also, broomsy, why SQL support won't be integrated into the core. Because the aim is 100% flexibility for each user, and not within the package itself.

SrNupsen
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby Gilbert » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:55 pm

Allow me to intervene again on this issue even though this thread is dedicated to " core development ". Please take it as constructive criticism and I stress that it is easy to talk when you do nothing [this is for the undersigned]

It seems to me that – beside the lack of " new incremental versions " discussed above – the marketing dimension is being missed.

The new site is light years better than the previous one, however the new comer is currently presented with two text files

Welcome to Coranto! dated 01-19-2005 and
Server move aborted dated 10-27-2005

I would suggest therefore a visit to other CMS sites. Don't hesitate to enrich the site with " life style " pict to promote the " product ". Free or not it is a " product "

The admin interface need to be addressed as well, beside polishing some essential items are missing in the submit page that will redress somewhat the look and feel of the interface.

Some basic styling as in Bold, Italic, URL Links, etc. – not more than 5 to 7 should be available by default [I know a new add-on is available but it is far too powerful and " dangerous " for the " average " user] which is what a " blogger " want. This issue was raised by all users that I have introduced to Coranto as they don't want and don't need to learn html code.

Best regards

P.S. Addons could be also displayed by categories which will somehow facilitate the task of customising Coranto
Gilbert

Postby SrNupsen » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:14 pm

I agree with all of the above. The problem right now, as stated before, is not the lack of ideas, but the lack of people willing to spend time on doing them.

Your suggestions are as always very welcome, and this thread will serve as reference the day work is to be done.

SrNupsen
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
SrNupsen

Postby bozoka45 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:43 am

Gilbert wrote:Some basic styling as in Bold, Italic, URL Links, etc. – not more than 5 to 7 should be available by default [I know a new add-on is available but it is far too powerful and " dangerous " for the " average " user] which is what a " blogger " want. This issue was raised by all users that I have introduced to Coranto as they don't want and don't need to learn html code.

I personally think this should remain in an addon. I have no need/want for that as all the articles I submit I need as plain text, and I would rather not mess with webwriter due to browser incompatibilities.
bozoka45

Postby J!mbo » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:08 am

I got the CorantoSQL addon to work in the latest beta. Is that the problem you guys were having? How would I go about releasing my modified version of the file?
J!mbo

Postby jayo » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:34 am

PM one of the staff or post a link to download it here.

What was done to make it work? And how compatible is it with other addons such as Maginot, etc?
No need for a SIG!
jayo

Postby bozoka45 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:36 am

Yes, I would love to take a look at it.
bozoka45

Postby J!mbo » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:41 am

Code: Select all
in cra_crsql.pl,

replace this (~line 36):
$CConfig{'CorantoSQL_path'} ="$CConfig{'admin_path'}" unless $CConfig{'CorantoSQL_path'};
with this:
$CConfig{'CorantoSQL_path'} ="$CConfig{'addon_path'}" unless $CConfig{'CorantoSQL_path'};

search and replace this (4 occurrences):
'htmlfile_path'
with this:
'data_path'
There is some really funky stuff going on around the SaveNews_OK hook, which is spitting out almost a blank page when you are done modifying news (despite the funky page, the functionality is still there).

I haven't touched the CSQL backup addons, but I think the procedure for getting them to work is same as above (just make sure the paths reflect the ones used in the latest beta).
J!mbo

Postby bozoka45 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:49 am

I was able to do the same thing with the newest Beta, but I'm not sure why it doesn't work with the latest stable release.
bozoka45

Postby J!mbo » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:24 pm

So it works with 1.31.2 BETA but it doesn't work with 1.24? Or vice-versa? Or...
J!mbo

Postby jayo » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:21 pm

J!mbo wrote:So it works with 1.31.2 BETA but it doesn't work with 1.24? Or vice-versa? Or...

It doesnt work with the latest stable version. The last version I belive it worked with was 1.02 or something of that matter.
No need for a SIG!
jayo

Postby J!mbo » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:29 pm

That's odd because it works fine for me in 1.24 and with the above changes it works fine for me in 1.31.2 b2.
J!mbo

Postby Parahead » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:27 pm

bozoka45 wrote:I feel this project has become Parahead's alone, there are no other coders because they have all been run off. I have great respect for him for what's he doing, mostly by himself (to the core and addons), but this program cannot survive with Para alone. We must attract new people to the Coranto community.
I just want to reply to this... The fact that "this project has become Parahead's alone" is not something I want myself. I started off in this community as a guppy just like everyone else but happened to know Perl and noticed that things I needed was missing, so I started to create addons that addressed my (and others) needs and suggest changes/updates to the core and I simply have keept on traveling that road. It really is that simple, either one see a thing that needs a solution and digs into it or one see a fucking problem for someone else to solve, just a state of mind and it amases me how many people have such a boring attitude...

Now we have some challanges that needs to be addressed in order to make Coranto evolve and it includes some fundamental changes to the core, like the serialization layer issue and update of the interface that is the "buzz" right now (other things I have in mind is user data serialization and session handling). Making these changes will surly result in some existing addons being broken, and since it seams that people are more willing to spend time complaining than lending a hand I know who will be stuck with the work of updating those addons. And some addons has a license that doesn't allow updates from other than the original author which may not be active anymore, who should create a new similar addon that fills up that space? So yes, it is essential that we have more people involved in the development.

Gilbert wrote:the marketing dimension is being missed.
One of the most boring excuses I hear is "I can not code, so I can not help out". There are plenty of work around Coranto that you don't need to be a coder to do, this is one of them, but still people are not helping out, why not take a step forward yourself? For example, there are a bunch of sites out there listing CMS's but the info about Coranto is often outdated so "someone" could make an inventory and see what sites list Coranto (and which should but isn't!) and make sure the info is correct and up to date.

SrNupsen wrote:is there a way to make a "quick" fix for CSQL for versions <=1.24 , and then proceed with the somewhat more complex task of implementing the new data handling routines we've been talking about?
Since the MySQL support is offered as an addon, I think it would be good to make others involved in the fix and ease some of my burden... And it looks like some of the members in the community has started to track down this already in this thread which is truly great so I will leave them to it. A small request, could all discussions related to the CSQL addon fix continue in that tread not to cludge up this one (even more than it is).
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby bozoka45 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:54 pm

Just wanted to reply to your last post, but when I said "I feel this project has become Parahead's alone," I meant that we need more programmers and shouldn't put the whole burden on you, although it's obvious that a good part of it is. Having one programmer is a good (and understandable) reason this project hasn't moved along in a long time.
bozoka45

PreviousNext

Return to Coranto Development Archives -- 1.25.1 and Older