Release Candidate of the News Categories addon

Archive of notes and cross input on Dev versions of Coranto (1.25.1 and Older)

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Postby Esstee » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:38 pm

im using it with xmulti seems to work great so far I have converted aprox.
50% of my cats to full names and applying a few other settings as I go
along.

nice changes in the addon btw, thanks Parahead
I went deeper into the belly of Coranto and look! I found maginot.
Esstee

Postby Parahead » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:23 pm

Esstee wrote:im using it with xmulti seems to work great so far I have converted aprox.
50% of my cats to full names and applying a few other settings as I go
along.
Thanks for the feedback! :-)

[ranting]
Speaking of feedback, I have not recieved any feedback on the question below, so I take that as it is working for you dweiss? I know that it is easy to forget posting a small report about a problem being solved, but giving that info back is polite and as much useful to us as it is for you reporting about the problem in the first place.
Parahead wrote:dweiss, could you please verify if it works with the Multipage addon and report back.
[/ranting]
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby dweiss » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:44 am

Parahead wrote:[ranting]
Speaking of feedback, I have not recieved any feedback on the question below, so I take that as it is working for you dweiss? I know that it is easy to forget posting a small report about a problem being solved, but giving that info back is polite and as much useful to us as it is for you reporting about the problem in the first place.
Parahead wrote:dweiss, could you please verify if it works with the Multipage addon and report back.
[/ranting]

Sorry Parahead, I have not forgot to write my report ... I've read your msg., download the update but could not upload and test to the site. My first job is not web desinging, that's mainly a hobbie, and that's why some times I'm quite 'off line'. But I'm very interested to see it working well. I promise to write down my report ASAP after testing it.

Thank in your interesting and your programing!!!

Regards,
Daniel,
Regards,
Saludos,
Daniel,
dweiss

Postby Parahead » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:37 am

dweiss wrote:My first job is not web desinging, that's mainly a hobbie, and that's why some times I'm quite 'off line'. But I'm very interested to see it working well. I promise to write down my report ASAP after testing it.
Thanks, I look forward to your feedback on the matter. :-) And sorry for my ranting, its just that sometimes when people have recieved help they are off for other more fun stuff than writing a small report about what made it tick, which can be a little frustrating... And coding Coranto isn't my first job either, it's mainly a hobbie and partly an addiction. ;-)
Parahead

Postby dweiss » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:16 am

Parahead wrote:Thanks, I look forward to your feedback on the matter. :-) And sorry for my ranting, its just that sometimes when people have recieved help they are off for other more fun stuff than writing a small report about what made it tick, which can be a little frustrating... And coding Coranto isn't my first job either, it's mainly a hobbie and partly an addiction. ;-)

Yes, I think some computing programin, including my web page it's like an adiction ... but offen frustrating as I'm too limitted at knowledge and time.

Anyway, I've just installed the new NewsCategory Add-On.
Here's my report:

1.- Excelente AddOn!
2.- The CategoryName it's working great!
3.- What have happend with 'standard users' not appearing the Category list at 'submit news' have been solved and working OK. TNX
4.- MultiPage Add-On now it's working OK. TNX
5.- Only one comment. When you change the name of the category at the admin --> Category AddOn. The categorys are sorted on 'CategoryName'. And when you 'submit news', the categorys are sorted on 'category'

Thanks again, and sorry for the delay ...

Regards,
Daniel,
Regards,
Saludos,
Daniel,
dweiss

Postby Lumberjack » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:36 pm

dweiss wrote:When you change the name of the category at the admin --> Category AddOn. The categorys are sorted on 'CategoryName'. And when you 'submit news', the categorys are sorted on 'category'

Hmm yes this is true, it is of course just a cosmetic issue but the dropdown lists on submit news page could show the Display name rather than the internal name.
Lumberjack

Re: Release Candidate of the News Categories addon

Postby bozoka45 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:48 am

dweiss wrote:bozoka45, how can I implement this with FakeSQL?, I have a site that the main page is made in PHP using MySQL database. And the rest of the pages are made by Coranto using Coranto Database ...

Thanks,
Regards,
Daniel,

It should work with the addon already. You want the Category name to be saved into the database?
bozoka45

Postby Parahead » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:11 pm

Thanks for your feedback dweiss, good you like the updates and that it works with the MultiPage addon now.

Lumberjack wrote:
dweiss wrote:When you change the name of the category at the admin --> Category AddOn. The categorys are sorted on 'CategoryName'. And when you 'submit news', the categorys are sorted on 'category'

Hmm yes this is true, it is of course just a cosmetic issue but the dropdown lists on submit news page could show the Display name rather than the internal name.
Yes, I verified this as well when dweiss reported it. I also noticed that the Default category is placed first at some locations when sorted on 'category' and sorted alphabetically along the others when using 'CategoryName'. I will try and improve this so it behaves the same at all places, that is using 'CategoryName' and being alphabetically sorted.
Parahead

Postby dweiss » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:47 pm

Parahead, maybe I found out an other bug on this addon. It seems that the Profiles Archiving option it's not working ok, since I've installed the new version of NewsCategoryAddOn, my Archives it's not working any more.

thanks for your interest.

Regards,
Daniel,
Regards,
Saludos,
Daniel,
dweiss

Postby dweiss » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:51 pm

bozoka45 wrote:
dweiss wrote:bozoka45, how can I implement this with FakeSQL?, I have a site that the main page is made in PHP using MySQL database. And the rest of the pages are made by Coranto using Coranto Database ...

Thanks,
Regards,
Daniel,

It should work with the addon already. You want the Category name to be saved into the database?

Actually it works Ok, but it saves the <Field: Category> but not with the <Field: CategoryName>.

I actually prefer it FakeSQL saves the <Field: CategoryName> in the Category field of the MySQL database.

Thanks!!
Regards,
Daniel,
Regards,
Saludos,
Daniel,
dweiss

Postby InSAnE NiNjA » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:18 am

dweiss wrote:Actually it works Ok, but it saves the <Field: Category> but not with the <Field: CategoryName>.

I actually prefer it FakeSQL saves the <Field: CategoryName> in the Category field of the MySQL database.

Thanks!!
Regards,
Daniel,

the correct way for it to work would have been to save it with category, if its supposed to be a copy of newsdat.txt.. expecially for php conditional programming,

a better idea would be to additionally have another column added for categoryname, but that would have to be set to be updated if names changed
..nuttier then a squirrel turd..
InSAnE NiNjA

Postby Parahead » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:36 pm

dweiss wrote:Parahead, maybe I found out an other bug on this addon. It seems that the Profiles Archiving option it's not working ok, since I've installed the new version of NewsCategoryAddOn, my Archives it's not working any more.
I can't see what may be causing *this* to happen, but I will check it out. Do you have any additional information, what type of archive are you using (weekly/monthly/other)? How have you established that the archives not working is releated to this addon?
Parahead

Postby Parahead » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:46 pm

InSAnE NiNjA wrote:
dweiss wrote:Actually it works Ok, but it saves the <Field: Category> but not with the <Field: CategoryName>.

Thanks!!
Regards,
Daniel,

the correct way for it to work would have been to save it with category, if its supposed to be a copy of newsdat.txt.. expecially for php conditional programming,

a better idea would be to additionally have another column added for categoryname, but that would have to be set to be updated if names changed
Actually, the CategoryName field is not saved within the newsdat.txt file either. The addon uses the hook Build_GetData to initilize the CategoryName variable which the CSQL addon should take care of, I really have no idea of how the FakeSQL addon works in this area?
Parahead

Postby Parahead » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:02 pm

Releasing Build 10-RC6, which fixes the thing about not sorting the Categories by the Display Name at the Submit News page. Also a small fix for the Display Name of the categories if using viewnews.cgi to present this field in a style.

Download here!

I have not been able to reproduce the problem dweiss has reported about archives not working. I have my doubts about the relationship of them not working and the NewsCategories addon, but I need more info about this in order to do something about it if that is indeed the case...
Parahead

Postby dweiss » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:05 pm

Parahead wrote:
dweiss wrote:Parahead, maybe I found out an other bug on this addon. It seems that the Profiles Archiving option it's not working ok, since I've installed the new version of NewsCategoryAddOn, my Archives it's not working any more.
I can't see what may be causing *this* to happen, but I will check it out. Do you have any additional information, what type of archive are you using (weekly/monthly/other)? How have you established that the archives not working is releated to this addon?

I'm using monthly archiving, I don't know wich any other data do you neeed.

I think that it is cause by this add-on as I've been using Archiving for a wile and didn't have any problem. Since I've installed the new version of the add-on last month archiving it's not working ...

see this page and this one.

In both pages it's measing the last month before the actual one, june 2005 for the first one, and may 2005 for the last one ... I have news for both month but they are not there ...

That's why I think it a problem with the addon ... I don't know the connection, but I have not touch anything else in coranto but actualize the addon ...

thanks for the new version Parahead!
Regards,
Saludos,
Daniel,
dweiss

PreviousNext

Return to Coranto Development Archives -- 1.25.1 and Older