Release Candidate of the News Categories addon

Archive of notes and cross input on Dev versions of Coranto (1.25.1 and Older)

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Postby msbzdragn » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:35 am

LoneOwl wrote:Do you happen to know where I said that? If I did, it would have been about something else somehow... The spaces would be no different than having a space in $Text.

"Coranto supports hashes, and if you just use a hash with internal names as keys, and custom names as values, I'm not positive just how well StyletoPerl will parse it, but it'd finally be a use for it."
Michael R. Tomkins
Administrator, 'Unofficial Coranto / NewsPro Forums'

Mitsubishi Diamante Forum

Do NOT send me instant messages asking for Coranto help without me telling you explicitly to do so. You WILL be placed on ignore if you do so; I don't have time to provide personal tech support to every person who IM's me. Sorry!
msbzdragn

Postby LoneOwl » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:57 am

Just now looking at the code, Coranto seems like it'd handle something like <Field: Category{"<Field: Category>"}> without too many problems. Another simpler method would just be adding a new tag, as is done with Maginot. Parahead just created another variable. It all ends up the same.
LoneOwl

Postby msbzdragn » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:36 am

LoneOwl wrote:Just now looking at the code, Coranto seems like it'd handle something like <Field: Category{"<Field: Category>"}> without too many problems. Another simpler method would just be adding a new tag, as is done with Maginot. Parahead just created another variable. It all ends up the same.

OK, if we change from:

<If: Field: my_name_is_eq eq "Fred">

how does Coranto simply tell whether the letters eq are part of the category name or not? ie.

<If: Field: my name is eq eq "Fred">

Do you see the kind of utterly ridiculous stuff we'd have to design Coranto to deal with if we allow anything other than a limited set of characters to be used to represent categories in the styles?
Michael R. Tomkins

Do NOT send me instant messages asking for Coranto help without me telling you explicitly to do so. You WILL be placed on ignore if you do so; I don't have time to provide personal tech support to every person who IM's me. Sorry!
msbzdragn

Postby LoneOwl » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:39 am

But the category name would only be used in a style to either show it, as with this case, or to check it against a string. I can't even see a reasonable reason for a request of having a variable with spaces in the variable name.
LoneOwl

Postby Lumberjack » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:17 pm

We're not talking about the actual name here, just the display name, correct? In which case, the point that it is the same idea as spaces in $Text is surely valid. During build, if <Field: CategoryName> is in the style, coranto will look up its name (including spaces etc) and put it in? For all intents and purposes, doing something like you suggested (<If: Field: my name is eq eq "Fred">) is not necessary as you'd still use the regular coranto category name for this. EDIT: in fact, would you not just use <If: Field: Category eq "Fred">?
Lumberjack

Postby msbzdragn » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:41 pm

LoneOwl wrote:But the category name would only be used in a style to either show it, as with this case, or to check it against a string. I can't even see a reasonable reason for a request of having a variable with spaces in the variable name.

If you show the category name in the style, you have to be able to parse it in the OTHER direction when you save the style, too (or when news is built; I'm not exactly sure when the style is parsed). Either way, THAT is the complicated bit, because you now have to parse styles that may have extended characters and spaces in category names.
Michael R. Tomkins

msbzdragn

Re: Release Candidate of the News Categories addon

Postby Parahead » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:14 pm

dweiss wrote:First, it does not recognice 'allowed' users for categorys, only admin users can see the categorys.
Oops, thanks for reporting this. The bug has now been fixed with the new release, same download link as before.

dweiss wrote:Second, I want to use the display name when I made my styles and profiles ... how can I manage this?
The included documentation should provide you with enough information, doesn't it do that? <Field: CategoryName>

msbzdragn, I think you mix up the *name* of the category with the *value* of the category. If you have several categories they can be called "dvd_top_10", "vhs_top_10", but you may whish to present a little nicer name than that, which you can with the Display Name feature included in this release, thus with <Field: CategoryName> you can present them as "DVD Top 10" and "VHS Top 10" if you like, or "My Top 10 DVD recomendations" if you prefer that. The field is used just as you would use the Category. So you should use the internal name when doing checks, like
<If: Field: Category eq "dvd_top_10">, but you can of course do it with the Display Name as well, like <If: Field: CategoryName eq "DVD Top 10">

I hope that made things a bit more clear?
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby Lumberjack » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:29 pm

Ah yes, thanks Parahead, I didn't realise you had already implemented that feature (I think my original comment was what sparked off this argument). In that case, that is great and will work nicely with my Maginot multi-sliced profile.

EDIT: testing... $CategoryName does not seem to function as $Category does. My sliced pages have <Field: Category> in the title, which I changed to CategoryName, and now they all seem to display the (default) profile name, which I have set to News.
EDIT2: $Category still functions as it used to, so I'm guessing there's something wrong in setting $CategoryName...
Lumberjack

Postby Parahead » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:58 pm

Lumberjack wrote:EDIT: testing... $CategoryName does not seem to function as $Category does. My sliced pages have <Field: Category> in the title, which I changed to CategoryName, and now they all seem to display the (default) profile name, which I have set to News.
EDIT2: $Category still functions as it used to, so I'm guessing there's something wrong in setting $CategoryName...
The problem is that since the Category addon is a sort of semiaddon, some code is worked in with the core. Some addons which have "replicated" the building mechanism, like Maginot, doesn't set this new field value in their "core". I will see what can be done about it and if there is a good solution...
Parahead

Postby Lumberjack » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:22 am

Ah I understand, that is a potential problem... nothing immediate comes to mind to solve that.
Lumberjack

Postby Parahead » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:53 pm

Lumberjack wrote:Ah I understand, that is a potential problem... nothing immediate comes to mind to solve that.
The latest release of Maginot (Build 15-rc15) solves this problem now.

I am also releasing News Categories build 10-RC4, since I discovered a small issue with the defult category properties not getting "autoloaded" correctly if it never had been saved before. I encourage anyone currently testing out Build 10 to upgrade to this RC.

Download here!
Parahead

Postby dweiss » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:55 pm

Parahead wrote:I am also releasing News Categories build 10-RC4, since I discovered a small issue with the defult category properties not getting "autoloaded" correctly if it never had been saved before. I encourage anyone currently testing out Build 10 to upgrade to this RC.

Parahead, I found out that this News Categories is not working well with MultiPage add-on, it shows up always the same category ... any idea?

Regards,
TNX
Daniel,
Regards,
Saludos,
Daniel,
dweiss

Postby Lumberjack » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:13 pm

It sounds like the problem I am having too, all my multislice (Maginot) pages show the CategoryName of the last (alphabetically sorted) profile. I think it is something to do with the way these are put through the building process.
EDIT: this may actually be because I am using a template to put that field in.
EDIT2: the thing is, it works perfectly fine for my multi-sliced Maginot profile, but does not work for the MultiIndex, and I'm assuming the template building process should be the same. (If this is a maginot problem, feel free to reply to me in the maginot topic)
Lumberjack

Postby Parahead » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:28 pm

dweiss wrote:Parahead, I found out that this News Categories is not working well with MultiPage add-on, it shows up always the same category ... any idea?
Hmm... Are we talking about both the Category field as well as the CategoryName field? I don't use that addon myself, I will try and check out what can be causing this. It may be the same issue with that addon as Maginot was facing, it hasn't implemented the Build_GetData hook which causes other addons (such as News Categories and Change Date New) not to have the chance to init required fields. It is just a guess from my part at this stage though...

Lumberjack wrote:EDIT2: the thing is, it works perfectly fine for my multi-sliced Maginot profile, but does not work for the MultiIndex, and I'm assuming the template building process should be the same. (If this is a maginot problem, feel free to reply to me in the maginot topic)
Depending on your answer in that thread it is either a Maginot problem or a settings problem... Either way, I *think* we can assume it is connected to Maginot, not the News Categories addon.
Parahead

Postby Parahead » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:06 pm

Parahead wrote:
dweiss wrote:Parahead, I found out that this News Categories is not working well with MultiPage add-on, it shows up always the same category ... any idea?
Hmm... Are we talking about both the Category field as well as the CategoryName field? I don't use that addon myself, I will try and check out what can be causing this. It may be the same issue with that addon as Maginot was facing, it hasn't implemented the Build_GetData hook which causes other addons (such as News Categories and Change Date New) not to have the chance to init required fields. It is just a guess from my part at this stage though...
I have found a small issue in the News Categories addon which might be the cause for this, so I am releasing Build 10-RC5 now. dweiss, could you please verify if it works with the Multipage addon and report back.

Download here!
Parahead

PreviousNext

Return to Coranto Development Archives -- 1.25.1 and Older