Release Candidate of the News Categories addon

Archive of notes and cross input on Dev versions of Coranto (1.25.1 and Older)

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Release Candidate of the News Categories addon

Postby Parahead » Tue May 24, 2005 7:15 pm

There has been some requests made for the News Categories addon and in order to check with the community that this is a move in the rigth direction I have made build 10 available for testing. Please note that it is ment to be bundled with Coranto, it is an addon created by Elvii and therefore the same license apply.

The major difference between older versions and this one is that it is possible to use a visual name for the category. Also, the way the categories are saved is changed to better handle multiple settings for each category so an upgrade of the category DB is performed when enabling this build, make sure to read the readme.txt.

It is possible to use this build with any version of Coranto. Any and all feedback should be directed to this thread, please.

Download here!
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby shanemckiness » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:14 am

Nice job. Works good here.
shanemckiness

Postby msbzdragn » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:48 pm

OK folks, hammer this - I'd like to see it replace the current core version if stable, so TRY to find problems. :)
Michael R. Tomkins
Administrator, 'Unofficial Coranto / NewsPro Forums'

Mitsubishi Diamante Forum

Do NOT send me instant messages asking for Coranto help without me telling you explicitly to do so. You WILL be placed on ignore if you do so; I don't have time to provide personal tech support to every person who IM's me. Sorry!
msbzdragn

Postby Parahead » Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:25 pm

msbzdragn wrote:OK folks, hammer this - I'd like to see it replace the current core version if stable, so TRY to find problems. :)
Just a note, I do have an even more recent update of the News Category addon which uses the new localisation feature available to addons in 1.31 now. LoneOwl has gotten his hand on that (and you have access to it as well, dragn), hopefully he will give some comment on that as well...
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby muttly » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:14 pm

msbzdragn wrote:OK folks, hammer this - I'd like to see it replace the current core version if stable, so TRY to find problems. :)

I'm using it with no problems, but I haven't implimented any of the fancy new features
muttly

Re: Release Candidate of the News Categories addon

Postby dweiss » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:30 am

Parahead wrote:There has been some requests made for the News Categories addon and in order to check with the community that this is a move in the rigth direction I have made build 10 available for testing. Please note that it is ment to be bundled with Coranto, it is an addon created by Elvii and therefore the same license apply.

The major difference between older versions and this one is that it is possible to use a visual name for the category. Also, the way the categories are saved is changed to better handle multiple settings for each category so an upgrade of the category DB is performed when enabling this build, make sure to read the readme.txt.

Parahead, first of all, thanks! for this update.

bozoka45, how can I implement this with FakeSQL?, I have a site that the main page is made in PHP using MySQL database. And the rest of the pages are made by Coranto using Coranto Database ...

Thanks,
Regards,
Daniel,
Regards,
Saludos,
Daniel,
dweiss

Postby dweiss » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:17 pm

Parahead wrote:There has been some requests made for the News Categories addon and in order to check with the community that this is a move in the rigth direction I have made build 10 available for testing. Please note that it is ment to be bundled with Coranto, it is an addon created by Elvii and therefore the same license apply.

It is possible to use this build with any version of Coranto. Any and all feedback should be directed to this thread, please.

Download here!

I have two problems with this version.

First, it does not recognice 'allowed' users for categorys, only admin users can see the categorys.

Second, I want to use the display name when I made my styles and profiles ... how can I manage this?

Thanks!
Regards,
Saludos,
Daniel,
dweiss

Postby msbzdragn » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:21 pm

dweiss wrote:Second, I want to use the display name when I made my styles and profiles ... how can I manage this?

Allowing the display name to be used in styles sounds like asking for trouble to me; more character types to deal with (unless display names only allow the same characters as the real category names, in which case what's the point of display names?), and also you'd have to do checking to make sure no two categories had the same display name, etc.
Michael R. Tomkins

Do NOT send me instant messages asking for Coranto help without me telling you explicitly to do so. You WILL be placed on ignore if you do so; I don't have time to provide personal tech support to every person who IM's me. Sorry!
msbzdragn

Postby Lumberjack » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:06 pm

Nevertheless, it would be a great feature. In fact, just allowing spaces to be present would be useful. Thanks for the update Parahead, will try this one out sometime.
Lumberjack

Postby msbzdragn » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:32 pm

Lumberjack wrote:Nevertheless, it would be a great feature. In fact, just allowing spaces to be present would be useful. Thanks for the update Parahead, will try this one out sometime.

I fail to understand how a space makes things any easier in editing styles etc. through Coranto's frontend (just replace the space with an underscore - it is just as easy to read and understand) - but it would make the backend code a lot more complex as I understand it.
Michael R. Tomkins

msbzdragn

Postby LoneOwl » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:55 pm

To me it really doesn't seem like it'd complicate anything in the core too much. I'd have to really go over the code to see how Parahead did it, but to me it doesn't seem extremely complex more than categories are.
LoneOwl

Postby msbzdragn » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:12 pm

LoneOwl wrote:To me it really doesn't seem like it'd complicate anything in the core too much. I'd have to really go over the code to see how Parahead did it, but to me it doesn't seem extremely complex more than categories are.

At the very least it is going to make parsing styles more difficult, since you can't rely on category names being whole words, if they have spaces in them.
Michael R. Tomkins

msbzdragn

Postby LoneOwl » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:07 pm

But at the moment, Coranto supports hashes, and if you just use a hash with internal names as keys, and custom names as values, I'm not positive just how well StyletoPerl will parse it, but it'd finally be a use for it. Styles are only for display, so I'm failing to see the serious issue.
LoneOwl

Postby msbzdragn » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:10 pm

LoneOwl wrote:But at the moment, Coranto supports hashes, and if you just use a hash with internal names as keys, and custom names as values, I'm not positive just how well StyletoPerl will parse it, but it'd finally be a use for it. Styles are only for display, so I'm failing to see the serious issue.

Because styles have to be parsed before they can be used, and parsing styles with spaces will be more complex, as I already said (and as you noted yourself). That is the issue.
Michael R. Tomkins

msbzdragn

Postby LoneOwl » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:27 pm

Do you happen to know where I said that? If I did, it would have been about something else somehow... The spaces would be no different than having a space in $Text.
LoneOwl

Next

Return to Coranto Development Archives -- 1.25.1 and Older