Language Script needed

Archive of notes and cross input on Dev versions of Coranto (1.25.1 and Older)

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Postby SrNupsen » Wed May 25, 2005 12:54 pm

Parahead wrote:[Currently if you load up a languge file 'crlang_swedish.pl' and then resave it, it will be called 'crlang_swedish.1.pl' instead of overwriting the orignal langfile. Is this the desired approach?

Yup. :)

Parahead wrote:Would you like to see even more info for each individual sentance? Like "used as a label on a button" or similar (when needed)?

No, that's not necessary. Different things will be ambigious in different language, so that would require too much work. It's good as it is now, and somebody will tell us if there is something wrong with a langauge file.

Parahead wrote:The languagefiles that where translated by fellow members of the community to the 1.30.x version of Coranto should serve as a starting point for anyone who whish to do translation? How would you (or dragn) like to procede with those files (maybe making them publicly available)?

Yes, we should aim to use the work done with those translations, making them publicly available (integrated into the new translation interface).

SrNupsen
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby Parahead » Wed May 25, 2005 2:23 pm

SrNupsen wrote:
Parahead wrote:The languagefiles that where translated by fellow members of the community to the 1.30.x version of Coranto should serve as a starting point for anyone who whish to do translation? How would you (or dragn) like to procede with those files (maybe making them publicly available)?

Yes, we should aim to use the work done with those translations, making them publicly available (integrated into the new translation interface).
Okidoki. Could you elaborate your ideas of 'integrated'? Ideally it would be great if the 'old' language files where upgraded to the new format and used as a base for people to continue to work with, but I think it is a bit of a hazzle to do that upgrade in an automated fashion.
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby SrNupsen » Wed May 25, 2005 3:14 pm

Oh, I was just thinking that translators would be presented with the new (current) interface on the web page, but with the allready translated variables filled in. Should be possible to merge the work done into the new files via a script?

SrNupsen

SrNupsen

Postby Parahead » Wed May 25, 2005 4:54 pm

SrNupsen wrote:Oh, I was just thinking that translators would be presented with the new (current) interface on the web page, but with the allready translated variables filled in. Should be possible to merge the work done into the new files via a script?
Yes, possible, it "just" needs to be done... ;-) Like I mentioned, the old and the new format of the files is not that similar, making it a little more troublesome. SomeGuyNamedJim has done a great job with the translation script but I have had a hard time to actually having a two way conversation with him regarding stuff like this...
Parahead

Postby SrNupsen » Wed May 25, 2005 5:56 pm

If it's too much work, drop it and let's do all the translation over again. It's quite limited work, actually, especially when there are several people contributing.

I was just imagining a script going through any variable (and it's associated translation) il the old file and then assigning it to the same variable in the new file (providing the variables have the same name in the two files, something I guess most of them will have?)

Could write it in QuickBasic, I guess :lol:

SrNupsen

SrNupsen

Postby Parahead » Wed May 25, 2005 6:27 pm

SrNupsen wrote:If it's too much work, drop it and let's do all the translation over again. It's quite limited work, actually, especially when there are several people contributing.

I was just imagining a script going through any variable (and it's associated translation) il the old file and then assigning it to the same variable in the new file (providing the variables have the same name in the two files, something I guess most of them will have?)

Could write it in QuickBasic, I guess :lol:

SrNupsen
That is just the thing, the old and the new files does not have the same variable naming schema, see below... And the new files have improved sentance handling so some from the old one which was 2 or 3 sentances is now just one.
Code: Select all
OLD ENTRY:
'Section_MainPage' => q~Main Page~,
NEW ENTRY:
q~Main Page~
  => q~Main Page~,

Of course, I can send you an old file and a new one so that you can take a look yourself to see if you think it is possible to make a batch conversion, because I do think it would be great to have, just not that easy to do...
Parahead

Postby SrNupsen » Wed May 25, 2005 7:01 pm

I say we do the translations over again. Too much work converting what's been done.

I'll volunteer for the Norwegian part.

SrNupsen

SrNupsen

Postby LoneOwl » Thu May 26, 2005 2:01 am

I don't really see what it'd be so difficult to convert old ones into new ones. It shouldn't be much harder than loading the old file, making a quick template for the new file, with the variables in the right spots, and saving it... Something a tad like this....perhaps....
#!/usr/bin/perl
require 'crlang.pl';
open LANG, "newlang.pl";
print LANG <<"END_LANG";

$crlangversion = 2;

%Messages = (
q~Coranto Setup~
  => q~$Messages{Whatever Coranto Setup was}~,
etc.
);
END_LANG
close LANG;
Or am I seeming to miss something?
LoneOwl

Postby Parahead » Thu May 26, 2005 5:52 am

LoneOwl wrote:I don't really see what it'd be so difficult to convert old ones into new ones. It shouldn't be much harder than loading the old file, making a quick template for the new file, with the variables in the right spots, and saving it... Something a tad like this....perhaps....
#!/usr/bin/perl
require 'crlang.pl';
open LANG, "newlang.pl";
print LANG <<"END_LANG";

$crlangversion = 2;

%Messages = (
q~Coranto Setup~
  => q~$Messages{Whatever Coranto Setup was}~,
etc.
);
END_LANG
close LANG;
Or am I seeming to miss something?
No, that is correct, it can be done that way. But it requires some grunt work to do it, and the result will not be exactly correct since many sentances isn´t the same anymore, now using [_1], [quant] and so on as well as some sentances which previously was 2-3 sentances are now one. Also, the order of the old langfile isn´t the same as the new one, since I have grouped the sentances after pages. The header remarks need to be placed in the file as well. And you have raised the question to shorten some sentances (have you done any work on that?) which will make even more sentances different between the old and new langfiles.

So the question is, is it worth doing the grunt work to create an incomplete transformation? If you (or anyone else) have the time to actually take a more active role and produce complete and working code it is much welcomed, my day only has that many hours... ;-)
Parahead

Postby LoneOwl » Fri May 27, 2005 12:22 am

Isn't rewriting each language file again grunt work of a sort? Anyway, just today I got my laptop back to me(just barely under two months of not being able to use it), so in a few days, when I get it all up and running, I'll be able to really start helping out more.
LoneOwl

Postby Parahead » Fri May 27, 2005 6:41 am

LoneOwl wrote:Isn't rewriting each language file again grunt work of a sort?
Yes, that is absolutly true, but I am only one person and like I said before, my days only has a certain amount of hours... Should I do all the grunt work or should more people be involved to make each persons contribution smaller but also easier? We are also lacking coders, but translating a language file doesn´t need coding, it is a matter of using resources...

Many people has opinions on how to do things, but few produce stuff when it really comes to it. So if you do feel you have the time to create such a script and upgrade the current language files to the new format that would be really great! :-D
Parahead

Previous

Return to Coranto Development Archives -- 1.25.1 and Older