Language Script needed

Archive of notes and cross input on Dev versions of Coranto (1.25.1 and Older)

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Language Script needed

Postby Parahead » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:13 pm

Hi all,

as you you might know Coranto supports different languages by the use of languagefiles (crlang_english.pl for example) but currently we do not have a very good way of collecting contributions from the community.

What would be great to have is a Perl script that takes the default language file crlang.pl and use that as a base to dynamically present a webform with inpufields for the user to fill out. Of course also being able to specify the name of the language and then upon submission create a new crlang_languagename.pl file.

Optional information could be the name of the contributor to place inside the language file. For *internal* use one would be able to collect the contributors email address, to be able to contact them to upgrade their language file if the need arises.

Additional features might be to be able to choose from a dropdown allready submitted languagefiles and edit those. Don´t know if it should work in a Wiki-style or if each submission should create a new version. Of course it should also be possible to download a specific and allready created language file.

The script would be hosted here at coranto.gwe ilo.org, so some sort of easy specification (within the script) of source/target directory for the language files would be needed.

If anyone feels up for this litte task it would be really great. If you feel you need more info, feel free to ask.
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Re: Language Script needed

Postby SrNupsen » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:29 pm

Parahead wrote:Optional information could be the name of the contributor to place inside the language file. For *internal* use one would be able to collect the contributors email address

I would like to ask for this information to be *mandatory* (that is, the name field must contain info, not necessarily the mail adress field if anybody doesn't want' to give their e-mail). We're dependant on being able to contact the translators one way or another should the need arise.

SrNupsen
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby LoneOwl » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:38 pm

It should be simple and casual to do, nothing to put too much of a burden on those who translate it, since translating it could be considered a big enough burden. I think a wiki style thing could be beneficial, and perhaps have it allow updaters to update only one part.

Perhaps someone(I would if my laptop were working right now), write a small script using the Lingua::Translate module to provide some quick and ugly translations, which could help spurn people to correct any problems in them.
LoneOwl

Postby SomeGuyNamedJim » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:59 pm

Something like this (currently uses the crlang.pl from 1.24)?
SomeGuyNamedJim

Postby Parahead » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:24 am

SomeGuyNamedJim wrote:Something like this (currently uses the crlang.pl from 1.24)?
A very good start indeed! :-)

Note, the languagefile from 1.24 only contains one hash, but since work has been done to extend the language translation each subset of language fields (setup msgs, general msgs and admin msgs for example) is in different hashes, the script should be able to handle that as well. Maybe have one page for each hash so it isn´t one big page of fields to translate with a 'continue' button between each. When each page is submitted the result for that page should be saved, and starting with the most important hash, so that is people get tired along the way, at least that section is translated.

Using the Lingua::Translate module as a bonus for people to get started would be really nice. Also, when a user has started to translate a field, it may be troublesome to have the original text *inside* the inputfield, a bit hard to see what to translate? Maybe you could place the orignal text above the field or make the fieldname using an "a href"-tag with a title attribute with the orignal text or something?

The exact specification of the languagefile isn´t fully decided yet but I can send you a work in progress copy if you like.
Parahead

Postby SrNupsen » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:13 am

Psychologically speaking, I actually think it's important to have everything on one page. Spending a lot of time translating one page only to be greeted with a "Continue" button and another page will take the spirit out of anybody!

Knowing the job before you start is only fair and square - and you wouldn't have to do it all in one go anyway.

SrNupsen
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
SrNupsen

Postby Parahead » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:02 am

SrNupsen wrote:Psychologically speaking, I actually think it's important to have everything on one page. Spending a lot of time translating one page only to be greeted with a "Continue" button and another page will take the spirit out of anybody!

Knowing the job before you start is only fair and square - and you wouldn't have to do it all in one go anyway.
OK, fair... I was more thinking of the amount of fields it would mean on one page and did not think of the phsycological "breakdown" of the submitter if breaking it up in more pages... But the sections should be clearly labeled with a heading then.

SomeGuyNamedJim, the hasharrays would look something like this, just if you would like to do a new m/// for it:
Code: Select all
%SetupMessages = ( # Setup messages
Parahead

Postby SomeGuyNamedJim » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:39 am

Could I possibly get a sample crlang.pl with multiple hashes? I guess that whole thing with cerberos76 is responsible for the broken links of the latest versions in the development forum.
SomeGuyNamedJim

Postby LoneOwl » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:18 am

I'll send you a PM with the one from 1.3.11. But who knows how much it will end up being different, other than Parahead....
LoneOwl

Postby Parahead » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:02 am

LoneOwl wrote:I'll send you a PM with the one from 1.3.11. But who knows how much it will end up being different, other than Parahead....
That one from 1.30.11 is fine, it will look similar, just note my last post about the remark thing after the hash for a header. And LoneOwl, I am not the only one who is involved in development, I can even send you a copy of the work in progress for evaluation if you would like to take a more active role yourself? :-)

And while on the subject of language support, currently Coranto uses flat files which are loaded using Corantos NeedFile sub. What about using the Locale::Maketext module instead? I do this in my ShadowMail addon and it is easier to get sentances correct where you need to place a filename or similar within the sentance, example: "Coranto could not locate $filename, please verify the path".
Parahead

Postby LoneOwl » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:20 am

At the moment I still don't have my laptop back, so I have to use a library computer to do anything online, so any real work is extremely limited for me. When it all comes back to me(the guy who's fixing it, sent an email to me saying it was the loudest 2.5" drive he'd ever heard, and he does computer repairs, so you can have an idea how bad it is), I can probably take a more active role. There are several things I want to code for my own projects(and some things I've already coded that could be of help), so hopefully some of it can be incorporated. But, no laptop, not much help at the moment.

From a quick look at it, Locale::Maketext is the way I would do it, except writing it myself... The current method is limited when it comes to some issues such as grammar. Anyway, since Locale::Maketext wasn't included before 5.8, it'd be best to write something similar and simpler, no need to include complexity we won't use, and we can be more assured it'll be supported for more people. Who knows when I'll get my laptop back, but I think the language support I was coding so far had gone along those lines. I hadn't worked on it much, and was making started a temporary base for it. Plus I think it's been over a month since I've had my laptop, and longer since I'd worked on that.
LoneOwl

Postby Parahead » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:42 am

LoneOwl wrote:There are several things I want to code for my own projects(and some things I've already coded that could be of help), so hopefully some of it can be incorporated. But, no laptop, not much help at the moment.
Nice! The suggestions you have made about improved CRdie and style debugging is in the core all ready. Looking forward to when you have your laptop back and some free time... :-)

LoneOwl wrote:From a quick look at it, Locale::Maketext is the way I would do it, except writing it myself... The current method is limited when it comes to some issues such as grammar. Anyway, since Locale::Maketext wasn't included before 5.8, it'd be best to write something similar and simpler, no need to include complexity we won't use, and we can be more assured it'll be supported for more people.
Like I mentioned, I have used Locale::Maketext in the ShadowMail addon with a fallback approach if it isn´t installed and I haven´t had any reports of problems with it. I think that using a standard module is better than comming up with some replacement for it, why invent the wheel again? ;-)
Parahead

Postby LoneOwl » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:33 pm

Because why use a wheel for an 18 wheeler when you're riding a bike? One thing you can notice in Coranto is that Elvii included the used part of the Time::Local module into it. He didn't rewrite it, but he didn't use a use statement. He seems to have made Coranto reliant only on its own files.
LoneOwl

Postby Parahead » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:29 pm

LoneOwl wrote:Because why use a wheel for an 18 wheeler when you're riding a bike? One thing you can notice in Coranto is that Elvii included the used part of the Time::Local module into it. He didn't rewrite it, but he didn't use a use statement. He seems to have made Coranto reliant only on its own files.
That is a good point... :-) Do you feel up to create a Coranto version of Locale::Maketext then?
Parahead

Postby SomeGuyNamedJim » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:10 pm

Is it safe to assume that LoneOwl will be making this script and I can delete mine?
SomeGuyNamedJim

Next

Return to Coranto Development Archives -- 1.25.1 and Older