Coranto 1.30.11

Archive of notes and cross input on Dev versions of Coranto (1.25.1 and Older)

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Coranto 1.30.11

Postby Parahead » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:35 am

Hi all!

This version in the development branch 1.30.x should have addressed the small issues which existed with some of the new features put into Coranto and also some old bugs existing in 1.24 has been removed. There are some new features as well, nothing major has been done such as new GUI or database layer.

Since the change in folder structure and new language support was thrown in to the 1.30.x series (1.30.5 to be exact) I have only tested the development versions on a clean install, which works excellent. I have also done some minor tests with some of the basic addons, this works great too.

What I do feel needs more testing is integrated and heavy tests regarding all addons. Most addons will surly work out-of-the-box, but some will have problems with the new folder structure mainly. This is something I think you guys and girls in the community can help out and report back if they work or not. It is still a development version, so only in a testing environment though!!!

What also needs testing and verifification is that an upgrade from 1.24 to 1.30.x can be done without any glitch. I don´t think that is the case right now, so any of you doing tests should do it on a clean install of 1.30.11, OK. This issue is on my TODO-list and I will try and focus on it.

I know that cerberos and I have a slightly different view on the roadmap for Coranto 1.30.x. Personally I feel that the current features thrown in to the 1.30.x series are good stuff and we have addressed problems that exists in the 1.24 release as well, so trying to make the 1.30.x series stable and suitable for live heavy sites is a good thing, the 1.30.11 is a good step in that direction. *Then* focus on adding the new DB support and GUI improvements.

NOTE: Anyone installing and trying this version out should do it in a testing environment and on a fresh 1.30.11 installation.

Anyway, the changelog for 1.30.11 is as follows:
  • Bugfix, the search functions 'Next Page'-button at the Modify News page did not work
  • Bugfix, the previously choosen field to search in was deselected during the search at Modify News
  • Bugfix, in sub StyleToPerl for the <TextField: Hash{"Key"}> styletag
  • Bugfix, the the isNewXXX subs all contained a bug which prevented re-use of them in the same style,
    now they take advantage of the new isNewValue sub
    (applied to isNewDate, isNewYear, isNewMonth, isNewWeek, isNewUser, isNewCategory and isNewFile)
  • Bugfix, added a check for the ForceFullBuild variable at the Speedup code in the BuildNews sub.
    (discussed here: http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7601)
  • Bugfix, when a newsitem placed in an archive was deleted or modified the AutoBuild feature did not work
    (the ModifyNews_Delete and ModifyNews_EditSave subs updated to use ForceFullBuild)
  • Added the new sub isNewValue which can be used in a style like so: <If: isNewValue: Name_Of_Field>
  • Added a "Back To Edit Style"-button at the Style saving page (sub EditNewsStyles_EditSave) if error in style is detected
  • Added functionality at Style Edit page (sub EditNewsStyles_Edit) to handle re-submission of Style from the Save page
  • Improved functionality for sub GetLangOptions, now handles global and individual settings as input params
    (Changed callings to sub accordingly in sub LoginPage, EditUserInfo)
  • Improved the GetLangOptions and LoginPage subs to handle the Coranto setup better
  • Improved the sub StyleToPerl in general for the numeric matching styletags
    (Added <=, >=, <, and > as well as better veryfing regexp check that the matching value is numeric)
  • Improved the sub StyleToPerl in general for the string matching styletags
    (The quotes are no longer optional and using better regexp so matching value can contain $ and @)
  • Added new search option at the Modify News page, "(All Fields)".
  • Added possibility in the Settings Page to choose the default search field at the Modify News page.
  • Added some new language variables for the new search options.
    AdvSet_DefSearchField_Head, AdvSet_DefSearchField_Desc and Modify_Search_AllFields
  • Added a list of supported styletags in the tagsdoc.html file
  • Added new HOOK MainPage_VersionCheck to be used by addons who whish to override the normal version check
  • Removed the linkoption to the Coranto Alpha site in the Profile Settings page, sub EditProfDefinition
    (As requested by msbzdragn)
  • Version check in sub MainPage now uses coranto.gwe ilo.org as previously
  • Version check does not collect e-mail info anymore if Urgent Notification is choosen, instead an image is presented

NOTE: Anyone installing and trying this version out should do it in a testing environment and on a fresh 1.30.11 installation.

Download here
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby Psykosys » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:43 am

[moved from 1.30.10 thread now that this one is here]

Here's my attempt to run 1.30.11 so far:

Running a clean install of 1.30.11 on an Apache2 server, Perl5 under Windows ME
(a setup under which v1.24 worked fine for me), I came upon this error during the initial setup stages:
On the bottom of the page in which Coranto reports:
Testing paths and file permissions... all tests were successful. The paths you entered seem correct, as do file permissions.
, I am getting the error message:
Unable to open Group/Apache2/cgi-bin/corantob/data/ccfgtmp1.cgi. No such file or directory at C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/cgi-bin/corantob/crcore.pl line 300.
This is followed by the standard "Useful Information" crash info. (There is indeed no ccfgtmp1.cgi in that directory). After proceeding through the rest of the setup (with the same error shown on the bottom of each page), I arrive at "Setup Complete", but then when I attempt to login I still see the "to set up Coranto.." instructions at bottom; crcfg, it turns out, was not modified at all through the set up process.

I suppose this has to do with the changes made for improved handling of data files/non-destructive data file creation?

The whole reason that I did a clean install was that I had initially tried upgrading my previous installation (v1.24) to 1.30.11; I copied over all files from the zip besides crcfg, newsdat, etc, replacing the old versions, and moved the addons and templates to the /addons and /templates subdirectories. Then when I surfed to coranto.cgi I ended up with an infinite loop of "Content-type: text/html Cache-control: no-cache" as output, with a "Fatal Error" page title. Strange stuff...

<edit>Whoops, forgot about the nifty new stack trace. Here's the trace for one of the setup pages, for what it's worth:
(eval) in C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/cgi-bin/corantob/coranto.cgi, line 35
main in C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/cgi-bin/corantob/coranto.cgi, line 39
RunCoranto in C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/cgi-bin/corantob/coranto.cgi, line 67
SetupHandler in C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/cgi-bin/corantob/crcore.pl, line 78
exit in C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/cgi-bin/corantob/crsetup.pl, line 273
(eval) in C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/cgi-bin/corantob/crlib.pl, line 175
DESTROY in C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/cgi-bin/corantob/crlib.pl, line 175
SaveCConfig in C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/cgi-bin/corantob/crlib.pl, line 234
CRopen in C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/cgi-bin/corantob/crlib.pl, line 290
CRdie in C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/cgi-bin/corantob/crcore.pl, line 317
</edit>
Psykosys

Postby Parahead » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:51 am

Sorry, SrNupsen and I wasn´t synchronized, I was a little slow with the Core Development post. Thanks for moving your post in 1.30.10 to here instead...

Psykosys wrote:
Unable to open Group/Apache2/cgi-bin/corantob/data/ccfgtmp1.cgi. No such file or directory at C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/cgi-bin/corantob/crcore.pl line 300.
This is followed by the standard "Useful Information" crash info. (There is indeed no ccfgtmp1.cgi in that directory). After proceeding through the rest of the setup (with the same error shown on the bottom of each page), I arrive at "Setup Complete", but then when I attempt to login I still see the "to set up Coranto.." instructions at bottom; crcfg, it turns out, was not modified at all through the set up process.

I suppose this has to do with the changes made for improved handling of data files/non-destructive data file creation?
Yes, this is something that was added into 1.30.9, what is the chmod settings for your data folder (and the nsettings.cgi file)?

Psykosys wrote:The whole reason that I did a clean install was that I had initially tried upgrading my previous installation (v1.24) to 1.30.11; I copied over all files from the zip besides crcfg, newsdat, etc, replacing the old versions, and moved the addons and templates to the /addons and /templates subdirectories. Then when I surfed to coranto.cgi I ended up with an infinite loop of "Content-type: text/html Cache-control: no-cache" as output, with a "Fatal Error" page title. Strange stuff...
Hmmm... I will take a look at this. Upgrading from 1.24 to 1.30.11 is not something I reccomend currently, it has not been tested properly and there are some new settings in the 1.30.x series. This needs to be looked into exactly what needs to be done to get it to work properly... The "Content-type: text/html Cache-control: no-cache" is something I saw when I implemented the EasyEdit addon, when I loaded Coranto without running it, I will check this out (thanks for the stack trace).

Mental Note: I think it has something to do with the CRdie function being called repetadly if the ReadConfigInfo (in the PrintCSS) does not eval? One should take care of the eval better...
Parahead

Postby Parahead » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:10 am

Psykosys wrote:The whole reason that I did a clean install was that I had initially tried upgrading my previous installation (v1.24) to 1.30.11; I copied over all files from the zip besides crcfg, newsdat, etc, replacing the old versions, and moved the addons and templates to the /addons and /templates subdirectories. Then when I surfed to coranto.cgi I ended up with an infinite loop of "Content-type: text/html Cache-control: no-cache" as output, with a "Fatal Error" page title. Strange stuff...
I have checked this out now, it is caused by the fact that Coranto can´t read/find the nsettings.cgi file. A solution to get rid of the naughty loop is to open up coranto.cgi and find line 158, and add a line so it looks like this afterwards:
Code: Select all
sub PrintCSS {
 $cssPrinted = 1;
And also go to line 118 and change that to this instead:
 print PrintCSS() unless $cssPrinted;

This is the quick fix, but you should get a better error message now anyway. I will see if I can implement a nicer fix in the next release of 1.30.x. Anyway, I think this issue will be solved for you if you make sure the data-folder is read/writable, because the thing about Coranto not being able to open the file "ccfgtmp1.cgi" indicates it can´t write to that folder. You see, the file shouldn´t exist at first, it is the file that Coranto writes to temporarly before renaming it to nsettings.cgi.
Parahead

Postby Trinkaltbier » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:55 pm

I am reevaluating Coranto as the mechanism for a major project. How close are we to a stable release of 1.30?

PS: I do not mean to insinuate that the beta is unstable, just want to know how close things are!
Trinkaltbier

Postby Psykosys » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:47 pm

Parahead wrote:Anyway, I think this issue will be solved for you if you make sure the data-folder is read/writable, because the thing about Coranto not being able to open the file "ccfgtmp1.cgi" indicates it can´t write to that folder.

That's the thing - I'm using Windows ME (on an old computer I'm just using for some server software testing) which, being completely abysmal, has no permissions to set (everything should be the equivalent of 777 by default). I wish I could test it further on this setup, but I've only been able to use it because I'm on spring break this week, headed back to college soon. Oh well, hopefully it's just a quirk with running Apache on a piece of junk (or, actually + more likely, the default Apache setting for whether scripts can write files in the cgi-bin) and won't happen to anyone else.
Psykosys

Postby SrNupsen » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:20 pm

trinkaltbier wrote:I am reevaluating Coranto as the mechanism for a major project. How close are we to a stable release of 1.30?

PS: I do not mean to insinuate that the beta is unstable, just want to know how close things are!

The 1.30 series will need some more weeks of testing, I think - but I guess Parahead is able to answer this one better.

But unless you are in particular need of any of the new features, there's ofcourse 1.24 - which has been out for quite some time now and is very stable.

SrNupsen
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby Andross » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:20 pm

I am having problems getting Coranto to work on my PC as well.
This is the first thing I've done something of the sort, so I followed the step-by-step guide in the Q&A section for the install.

I place my files in the folder 'coranto' under 'cgi-bin', and I did the steps correctly I think. I'm pretty sure my Perl path is right, otherwise I don't think I'd even get the following error message, which is:
Could not include file crcore.pl. The file, however, appears to exist. This usually indicates some form of syntax error in the file. Message: Can't locate Fcntl.pm in @INC (@INC contains: C:\sambar61\cgi-bin\coranto .) at C:\sambar61\cgi-bin\coranto/crcore.pl line 14.BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:\sambar61\cgi-bin\coranto/crcore.pl line 14.Compilation failed in require at C:\sambar61\cgi-bin\coranto\coranto.pl line 75.

The folder that ActivePerl is in is called 'Perl' and the folder SamBar is in is 'sambar61'. I hope this is just something stupid I'm doing.

In addition, do I need to change the coranto.pl file to the Perl directory, or where perl.exe is? (Currently, it's like this: #!c:\Perl\bin). I also notice the forward slashes change to a backslash when it gets to the location of crcore.pl O_O

This is also Windows XP Home, so I don't know if that might have an effect as well.

EDIT: I'll uninstall everything for the time being. I'm hoping it was a mistake in setup.
EDIT2: Oh crap, I didn't notice it was a program that ran in the background. So I never restarted it. Oh well, I'll try once more then.
EDIT3: Scratch this problem, it was the fact I didn't notice where to restart that I screwed up. It works fine now.
Andross

Postby Dale Ray » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:38 pm

The path to your perl install should be included in your Windows path environment. You can also duplicate the default perl path that is used on *nix servers by creating a folder named 'usr' and copying the folders from your perl install ito it. The usr folder should be on the same drive as your server software install.

The default in most perl scripts:

#!/usr/bin/perl

will then reflect where to find perl.

If the perl path is part of your environment path variable you are supposed to be able to ignore the shebang line in your perl scripts (#!/usr/bin/perl) but I found that for some scripts I had to use the second solution (creating the usr directory).

Depending on your server software there may be a setting that points to your perl (and php) install that has to set in the config file for the server.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Parahead » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:50 pm

Psykosys wrote:Unable to open Group/Apache2/cgi-bin/corantob/data/ccfgtmp1.cgi. No such file or directory at C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/cgi-bin/corantob/crcore.pl line 300.
I was in a kind of a hurry this morning when reading this message, didn´t notice that the first part of the path actually is missing. Coranto does not like paths with spaces in them so use a path with no spaces if possible... Don´t know if we can improve that part though, will check it out.

Andross wrote:EDIT3: Scratch this problem, it was the fact I didn't notice where to restart that I screwed up. It works fine now.
Okidoki, good! :-)

trinkaltbier wrote:I am reevaluating Coranto as the mechanism for a major project. How close are we to a stable release of 1.30?
It is very hard to say, I tried to explain what needs to be tested more in my first post... And like SrNupsen mentions, there is the 1.24 release which has been out for some time now and is stable.
Parahead

Postby Andross » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:50 pm

As said after my last edit, the problem was because the Sambar program needed to restart. It's all okay now :)
Andross

Postby Parahead » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:58 pm

Andross wrote:As said after my last edit, the problem was because the Sambar program needed to restart. It's all okay now :)
Yes, Okidoki, good, good! ;-)
Parahead

Postby Andross » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:14 am

I have found some problems with addons.
First, ShadowMail has a problem with the folder tree I believe, as it cannot locate a file.
Second, Addon Enabler also seems to suffer from this, as it does not recognize that there are other addons that are disabled and need enabling (it says 'nothing selected, so nothing done' pretty much)

I believe that is all so far. I don't believe Maginot has any issues, XMS is working apparently, and I'll go ahead and give a full list of what has been working for me sometime next week.

I suggest just bug-checking any addons that have files in separate folders or addons that use the old folder tree (Template Editor might be one, for example, as it probably won't create the .tmpl files in the right place).
Andross

Postby Trinkaltbier » Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:53 am

I am using 1.22 actually (in testing), and Newspro, believe it or not. When I thought about upgrading to 1.24, I said, what the hay, why not go all the way. Some of the new features do look appealing to me. I think I will install, just to see where we are at!

Thanks!

Jamie
Trinkaltbier

Postby Parahead » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:37 pm

Andross wrote:I have found some problems with addons.
First, ShadowMail has a problem with the folder tree I believe, as it cannot locate a file.
Thanks for the report, like I mentioned previously, I will take a look at ShadowMail (and my other addons) to see which ones work as intended and which ones need updates.

Andross wrote:I don't believe Maginot has any issues, XMS is working apparently, and I'll go ahead and give a full list of what has been working for me sometime next week.
Personally I am using ChangeDateNew 3.5.6 and haven´t discovered any issues yet...

Andross wrote:I suggest just bug-checking any addons that have files in separate folders or addons that use the old folder tree (Template Editor might be one, for example, as it probably won't create the .tmpl files in the right place).
Yes, this is more or less what I said in my first post... ;-) Your assumption about Template Editor is probably correct.

trinkaltbier wrote:I am using 1.22 actually (in testing), and Newspro, believe it or not. When I thought about upgrading to 1.24, I said, what the hay, why not go all the way. Some of the new features do look appealing to me. I think I will install, just to see where we are at!
Just remember that we still are talking about the development branch here.
Parahead

Next

Return to Coranto Development Archives -- 1.25.1 and Older