Coranto 1.30.10

Archive of notes and cross input on Dev versions of Coranto (1.25.1 and Older)

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Postby LoneOwl » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:33 pm

cerberos76 wrote:
LoneOwl wrote:Hmmm..... Technically, isn't all work done on the core considered illegal?

Absolutely no.
Technically there is only one single person who might claim rights on the code which is written in the core. He would have to demonstrate somehow his position (not very easy given such a long time passed and most of the proof of his identity lapsed). He could claim as his the code anyone has written in the core, but not much more. If we infringed any trademark, he could sue also for that. But I believe he never registered Coranto enywhere in the word. So legally the worst is loss of ownership for some code.
Just because it's hard to prove in a court of law doesn't mean it's illegal.

Anyway, laws change....the internet connects so many nations with so many laws.... Legalities on the internet are tricky issues. Plus then there are organizational rules.

Sorry, this is your opinion. I respect current laws in the country I live in.
If they change, I adapt to them. If necessary I make pressure trhough the right channels to make sure politicians act in line with my needs.
But laws are there to give clear guidance.
Then why is it that if I were to claim that the holocaust never happened, even though I'm an American citizen who's never been to Europe, let alone Germany, I could potentially be sent to Germany to stand trial? When it comes to America, if I want to I can deny that World War 2 never even happened and I'm legally ok. And if you're able to get politicians to do what you want in America, you have to be rich, and I'm not.

Now, which nation's laws are we just going to ignore because we don't care about them? All but the US and EU, and maybe Japan as well?

If you wish information about privacy laws, you can easily do a search trough your information channels. If you don't take laws seriously it is your problem and you are welcome to risk on your own.
What about when laws are conflicting? Anything tricky part that I know can happen in the US, is each of the 50 states can implement their own laws that everyone on earth would have to abide by. How many provinces are there in Europe? How many on Earth? I'm not exagerating. There can just be that many laws to have to contend with and how can anyone really know them all when, since having it online permits it's viewing in that area, it becomes illegal.

As far as I can tell, one of the main reasons you want it out of the core is to say "if anything bad happens, it's not my fault."

Any professional in the field of ITC takes steps both to make sure that responsabilities are clear and to make sure he is in control of the parts of work he is responsible for. I have stated multiple times that separating the responsabilities of the core programmers from the responsabilities of any addon is a necessary step.
I will take responsabilities for what I do and I can control. I will not take responsability for any site I do not have control of (specially if in the past it demonstrated unreliable in terms of securing data).
So if the programmer is put in charge of collecting information about who visits a site, and get as much data as possible from visitors, would it be his responsibility or that of management, or someone else entirely? There's always the "do this or you're fired" issue, and what if they do it, and it leads to a breach of information?
LoneOwl

Postby cerberos76_ » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:51 pm

I suggest to close the discussion on laws here.
Lownowl earlier I tried to reply to some of your questions, but I think you would better sit down a day with one of your friends laywer as you seem to want a full overview of international treaties and job laws, which we cannot do in here.

If you have suggestions for the core, please continue the discussion on coding.
Coranto addons:
* GuestPost, one click guestposting
* MoveIt!, Advanced Backup and site transfer
* PartialRebuild, CPU-friendly enhancement of FullBuild
* URLColumn, URLs for multiple Categories/Profiles
* Tickit!, Javascript News Tickers/Faders for Coranto!
* AddonEnabler, enables or disables single, multiple or all addons in one go
* SubmitMultiple, post consecutive news in an automatic loop!
* RSSAdvanced, RelatedNews ....

Get them at: http://coranto.gweilo.org/addons/
cerberos76_

Postby LoneOwl » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:21 am

Your main reason for wanting it out of the core seems to be laws! You still didn't reply to my last comment on categories.

How does the end user benefit from having version checking out of the core? Coranto is for the end user after all, and how do they truly benefit?

And if you're wanting something to help make Coranto smaller, and perhaps a tiny bit faster, a while back I wrote a module to do SHA-1 checksums, the same kind used by Coranto, except how I have it done is less than 100 lines, compared to 285, and 2.7k without comments, compared to 6.5k. Plus it works with the million a's test.
LoneOwl

Postby msbzdragn » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:29 am

This topic has become drowned in off-topic posts. I have made my decision and stated it several times.

* We will not be removing version checking from the core (it is unnecessary, as addons can already override the built-in version checking as demonstrated by Parahead).

* We will not be placing links to third-party servers of individuals who contributed to the core in the core; they receive their credit already through a link to this community, and our heartfelt thanks.

Discussion of laws and these decisions is off-topic, and any posts on these topics in the new thread will be deleted. If you wish to discuss these topics, do so in the off-topic banter forum. My decisions are final, and any core distributions submitted to me for release on this site will have the version checking reinstated and third-party links removed, if the distributions do not comply with my decision.

If you wish to discuss other bugs in the Coranto 1.30.10 core, you may do so here:

http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7913
Michael R. Tomkins
Administrator, 'Unofficial Coranto / NewsPro Forums'

Mitsubishi Diamante Forum

Do NOT send me instant messages asking for Coranto help without me telling you explicitly to do so. You WILL be placed on ignore if you do so; I don't have time to provide personal tech support to every person who IM's me. Sorry!
msbzdragn

Postby msbzdragn » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:08 pm

The 1.30.10 core has been withdrawn as a member of this community has chosen to reverse his pledge to surrender legal rights to his code in that core, and is now making legal threats.

The core has been removed from this site, and that user has been permanently banned from the community.
Michael R. Tomkins
Administrator, 'Unofficial Coranto / NewsPro Forums'

Mitsubishi Diamante Forum

Do NOT send me instant messages asking for Coranto help without me telling you explicitly to do so. You WILL be placed on ignore if you do so; I don't have time to provide personal tech support to every person who IM's me. Sorry!
msbzdragn

Previous

Return to Coranto Development Archives -- 1.25.1 and Older