Coranto 1.30.10

Archive of notes and cross input on Dev versions of Coranto (1.25.1 and Older)

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Coranto 1.30.10

Postby Parahead » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:51 pm

This is mainly a bugfix version of things that has been reported in 1.30.9, but it also contains some improvements. The complete changelog can be found below. Please report suggestions and feedback on any eventual problems.

• Bugfix, now using exists when checking StripSSI in SaveNews sub, crcore.pl
  • bugfix, put an eval around the call to ReadConfigInfo in the PrintCSS sub, coranto.cgi. (This will prevent the 'Fatal Error:'-blank screen when FileLock is enabled but the OS can´t handle it.)
  • Bugfix, added defined for the precense test of 'shownewsdat' and 'showconfig' in the Debug-subs, crcore.pl
  • Bugfix, added 'addondoc2' => 'AddonDoc2_ShowDoc' to the AdminHandler in cradmin.pl
  • Bugfix, added sub GetDirInfo into viewnews.cgi since sub ReadConfigInfo in crlib.pl needs it
  • Bugfix, corrected how the language options was presented at login, General Settings and User Settings page
  • Bugfix, corrected how the language options was handled in the CheckLogin sub
  • Bugfix, changed the sub GetLangOptions quite a lot
  • Changed from calling sub GetDirInfo to using CConfig{admin_path} in crcore.pl, sub GetLangOptions
  • Now defaults Language to the global language setting in the StartUp sub, crcore.pl
  • Added Stack Trace in CRdie sub in coranto.cgi as suggested by LoneOwl http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5816
  • Added a modified version of LoneOwl's Stack Trace in the AUTOLOAD sub in crcore.pl, for better targeting of calling sub.
  • Removed the global AutoLinkURL feature for Text, caused confusion since it can be specified at the Field Settings page anyway
  • Changed the code around the test of ModifyEditLink to a oneliner in the ModifyNews sub, crcore.pl
  • Fixed so that the single archive files are stored in another hash than FilesOpened, so they are not handled by the automatic link loop later on
  • Changed to use exists instead of a counter (countnews and countfiltnews) when opening outputfiles in BuildNews, crcore.pl
  • Now verifies that the 'File Path' output path exists when saving a Profile, sub EditProfileGeneralSave in cradmin.pl
  • Now the error-messages are being saved in an array when posting newsitems, so addons can override the error/OK-page better. (Will improve functionality for Guestpost. Guestpost, Multipart and CustomFields needs to be updated to my knowledge.)
  • Added new hooks in SaveNews and ModifyNews for addons to be able to override error/OK-page when submitting/editing newsitems. (SaveNews_Error, SaveNews_OK, ModifyNews_Error, ModifyNews_OK)
  • Added labels in SaveNews and ModifyNews for addons to be able to skip saving if an error is encountered during save.
    (SAVENEWS_START, MODIFYNEWS_EDITSTART)
  • Removed some previously commented out debug code in AddonDoc2_ShowDoc sub in cradmin.pl
Download here

NOTE: Any addon author that want´s to use the new feature in SaveNews and ModifyNews that makes it possible to present custom error/OK pages, should take a look at this demo addon put together as an example of how to use it...
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby Dale Ray » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:39 pm

Did all of the changes made by both Parahead and cerberos76 get into this release?
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby cerberos76_ » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:45 pm

No, my changes are still on my PC.
I guess Parahead was in a hurry to release this version out. That is good anyway, so people can start testing the build fix, which is important. If any further fix is needed we will add to the .11 which will contain my changes.

Parahead:
- I haven't yet looked at the code. But wasn't the loneowl stacktrace already in CRdie? i remember having added that a few versions ago and it was working well. Did you add anything else?
Coranto addons:
* GuestPost, one click guestposting
* MoveIt!, Advanced Backup and site transfer
* PartialRebuild, CPU-friendly enhancement of FullBuild
* URLColumn, URLs for multiple Categories/Profiles
* Tickit!, Javascript News Tickers/Faders for Coranto!
* AddonEnabler, enables or disables single, multiple or all addons in one go
* SubmitMultiple, post consecutive news in an automatic loop!
* RSSAdvanced, RelatedNews ....

Get them at: http://coranto.gweilo.org/addons/
cerberos76_

Postby Parahead » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:45 pm

cerberos76 wrote:No, my changes are still on my PC.
I guess Parahead was in a hurry to release this version out. That is good anyway, so people can start testing the build fix, which is important. If any further fix is needed we will add to the .11 which will contain my changes.
Well, I just thought it better to release a new version with my fixes since I was on a role today... Occasionally things tend to take quite a while if not done at once. ;-)

Parahead:
- I haven't yet looked at the code. But wasn't the loneowl stacktrace already in CRdie? i remember having added that a few versions ago and it was working well. Did you add anything else?
Nah, at least not in the 1.30.9 release. I also thought it was included in the release I sent you previously (1.30.4), but it wasn´t there now. No biggie, it is there now... :) Also, the improved stacktrace in AUTOBUILD is much better than nothing wich was previously the case, but I have already seen a need to improve it further, it could be better at pointing out the line of the error depending on if the offending line is in a normal sub or in a autoload sub ($Subs{$subs}). I will see if I can work something out...

Oh, another thing cerberos. The language files included in the package do have a small bug, although nothing limiting funcionality though, more like a annoying thing. The last value in all the hashes is ended with a comma just like all the other fields, which is not a nice way of ending a hash before the right paranthesis. I guess the automatic language script you use just needs a small update to fix this.
Parahead

Postby msbzdragn » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:17 pm

cerberos76 wrote:No, my changes are still on my PC.

Cerberos

May I ask for the (millionth?) time that you please confirm you will not be placing any code that references other servers than coranto.gwe ilo.org and the server Coranto has been installed on by the user in the core?

Some time ago you stated your intention to completely change the setup and other routines to your server. I stated at the time that I do not want you to do this, since it increases the chances of future problems should a server go down, or you disappear. Since that time I have asked you to clarify this numerous times, and to the best of my knowledge you have failed to do so.

I want the current mechanisms for checking core version numbering, etc. (all the functions that point to this server) retained in any core builds you release. You may, if you wish to change these routines, do so via an *optional, seperately downloaded* addon - but you may not remove these routines from the core to force people to use the addon, and you may not change these routines in the core to point to your own servers, even in test builds.

As I've stated several times, I am happy for you to have the access required to this server to make any changes you need to the backend scripts, so there's no need for you to use your own server, even for a test build.

Sorry for the long and dramatic post, but it concerns me that I have aired this several times and really received no response, other than hearing somewhere a suggestion you were going to put the changed code in an addon instead.
Michael R. Tomkins
Administrator, 'Unofficial Coranto / NewsPro Forums'

Mitsubishi Diamante Forum

Do NOT send me instant messages asking for Coranto help without me telling you explicitly to do so. You WILL be placed on ignore if you do so; I don't have time to provide personal tech support to every person who IM's me. Sorry!
msbzdragn

Postby cerberos76_ » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:17 pm

Parahead wrote:
The language files included in the package do have a small bug, although nothing limiting funcionality though, more like a annoying thing. The last value in all the hashes is ended with a comma just like all the other fields, which is not a nice way of ending a hash before the right paranthesis. I guess the automatic language script you use just needs a small update to fix this.

Actually that was intentional, to avoid hash ordering, but for diferent reasons I thought afterwards that sorting was useful to keep the same order in all languages. So I will change that in the future.
Coranto addons:

cerberos76_

Postby LoneOwl » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:23 pm

Perl doesn't guarantee having the same order for a hash in even the same run of perl. In fact, it's more guaranteed not to be the same. Plus the method used to randomize the hash(there are some security issues), isn't constitent through all the perl versions.
LoneOwl

Postby Parahead » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:37 pm

msbzdragn wrote:May I ask for the (millionth?) time that you please confirm you will not be placing any code that references other servers than coranto.gwe ilo.org and the server Coranto has been installed on by the user in the core?
May I also point out that the automatic linking option available in the 1.30.x includes an option to - as well. Personally I don´t think it is correct that the person currently happen to work with the core should place an additonal URL in the list of links, but that is just me.
Parahead

Postby msbzdragn » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:39 pm

Parahead wrote:
msbzdragn wrote:May I ask for the (millionth?) time that you please confirm you will not be placing any code that references other servers than coranto.gwe ilo.org and the server Coranto has been installed on by the user in the core?
May I also point out that the automatic linking option available in the 1.30.x includes an option to - as well. Personally I don´t think it is correct that the person currently happen to work with the core should place an additonal URL in the list of links, but that is just me.

Parahead: Can you remove that for me please?
Michael R. Tomkins

Do NOT send me instant messages asking for Coranto help without me telling you explicitly to do so. You WILL be placed on ignore if you do so; I don't have time to provide personal tech support to every person who IM's me. Sorry!
msbzdragn

Postby Parahead » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:23 pm

msbzdragn wrote:
Parahead wrote:

Parahead: Can you remove that for me please?
Yes, of course I can do that in the next release made by me. But hopefully cerberos will do so himself in the 1.30.11 release he is planning after reading this post.
Parahead

Postby cerberos76_ » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:50 pm

a) I had a lot of changes to the core and as discussed in a different thread the links to all the version checking functions were eliminated and an hook was placed instead. Parahead was too fast in releasing this version for any update on my side, so my changes on this thing will only come in the next version.

b) In terms of optional links at the end of news items, when adjusting the list many versions ago (in mid 2004) I inserted an option to choose a link to the Coranto Alpha Site (which is hosted on my server) as well as a link to this forum, a text string or nothing at all (default is nothing).
The alphas are the experimental versions which are released for testing and introduction of new functionalities. All the alphas have been released on my site and I have for long time planned also an interface for posting nightly build detailed news, comments, suggestions etc. This site has not been made public in full, but will soon be.

Given that the purpose of the link is simply to give some credit to the author of the work and a chance for others to find new releases, I do not see why such link option to the Alpha site should be a problem.
It is up to the people using the script to decide if they wish or not to have any link at all, and which link they wish if any.

So, from my point of view it will remain like this.
And if in the future there will be additional pro-Coranto sites from people who contributed with dedicated programming to its core, where some special features or other important things will be released, I will have no problem in adding additional options to these extra sites as well.
Coranto addons:

cerberos76_

Postby msbzdragn » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:01 pm

cerberos76 wrote:a) I had a lot of changes to the core and as discussed in a different thread the links to all the version checking functions were eliminated and an hook was placed instead. Parahead was too fast in releasing this version for any update on my side, so my changes on this thing will only come in the next version.

b) In terms of optional links at the end of news items, when adjusting the list many versions ago (in mid 2004) I inserted an option to choose a link to the Coranto Alpha Site (which is hosted on my server) as well as a link to this forum, a text string or nothing at all (default is nothing).
The alphas are the experimental versions which are released for testing and introduction of new functionalities. All the alphas have been released on my site and I have for long time planned also an interface for posting nightly build detailed news, comments, suggestions etc. This site has not been made public in full, but will soon be.

Given that the purpose of the link is simply to give some credit to the author of the work and a chance for others to find new releases, I do not see why such link option to the Alpha site should be a problem.
It is up to the people using the script to decide if they wish or not to have any link at all, and which link they wish if any.

So, from my point of view it will remain like this.
And if in the future there will be additional pro-Coranto sites from people who contributed with dedicated programming to its core, where some special features or other important things will be released, I will have no problem in adding additional options to these extra sites as well.

OK cerb, a couple of notes from me.

* Links to your alpha site WILL be removed from any builds released on this server, sorry - that is not up for debate. You did not ask me before adding these.

* I am fine for you to add hooks to provide an alternate version check in the core, but those will be in addition to the standard version check in the core, which will remain the default
Michael R. Tomkins

msbzdragn

Postby cerberos76_ » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:37 pm

msbzdragn wrote:
* Links to your alpha site WILL be removed from any builds released on this server, sorry - that is not up for debate. You did not ask me before adding these.

* I am fine for you to add hooks to provide an alternate version check in the core, but those will be in addition to the standard version check in the core, which will remain the default

Dragon, I accept discussion and suggestions for improvements in the code. If you have any you are welcome to pass them.

As for 'asking' permission, of course I did not ask for this modification, as I did not ask you permission to remove the links to the cybersquatted site amphibianweb, as I did not ask permission to produce multiple languages, documentation, adding lots of feature etc.
This is because I feel the common sense and desire to improvement to the core should guide who writes the code. (and not the 'permission' of the hoster of a support web site, with all respect for the time and money you invest in this)

If Elvii was among us, I would certainly have asked his opinion (on much more important things than this)... as he is the only one who could have a real word on Coranto. But that is a different thing alltogeter.

As for the 'modifications' to the version checking, I repeat what I said earlier: version checking is in my view NOT necessary in the core. And removing it in full and leave its function to dedicated addons is the only guarantee that the code does not become soon obsolete (as happened to other functions in the core earlier).
Coranto addons:

cerberos76_

Postby Parahead » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:40 pm

cerberos76 wrote:a) I had a lot of changes to the core and as discussed in a different thread the links to all the version checking functions were eliminated and an hook was placed instead. Parahead was too fast in releasing this version for any update on my side, so my changes on this thing will only come in the next version.
cerberos, do *not* try and put the blame on me please, the discussion of the links and version check is almost 3 months old, it started the same day as you released 1.30.9 so you really do have had the time to do something about this. The fact that it has taken this long for an update of 1.30.9 is one of the reasons I released 1.30.10 without waiting for a response from you first...

And my personal opinion is that the alphas should be released here at CTUS, not at another site. The Coranto community isn´t big enough to be diverted to more sites, it needs one central place for information. Having information spread among several sites isn´t intutive to new users and just makes things confusing...

cerberos76 wrote:Given that the purpose of the link is simply to give some credit to the author of the work and a chance for others to find new releases, I do not see why such link option to the Alpha site should be a problem.
And I though the author of Coranto was Elvii?
Parahead

Postby msbzdragn » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:49 pm

cerberos76 wrote:As for the 'modifications' to the version checking, I repeat what I said earlier: version checking is in my view NOT necessary in the core. And removing it in full and leave its function to dedicated addons is the only guarantee that the code does not become soon obsolete (as happened to other functions in the core earlier).

Version checking WILL remain in the core. Any version posted by you without the standard version checking (or version checking which points to this server) will not be made official, and links to such versions will likely be removed from the forums as well.

This is again not up for question. If you want to release such versions on your site you are welcome to do so (at entirely your own risk - I disclaim any support or legal responsibility for such versions). You will not be allowed to link to said site from these forums if you choose to do so however, because I have concerns about support issues caused by parallel releases of a forked Coranto, and about legal responsibility for a version I have no control over. Since Phil's script was completely separate from Coranto, I offered him the ability to choose to buy advertising here if he wanted links; I'll not be offering that to you because your script would be based on Coranto.
Michael R. Tomkins

msbzdragn

Next

Return to Coranto Development Archives -- 1.25.1 and Older