NewPro crapped out - had to re-install need help getting fil

Archive of notes and cross input on Dev versions of Coranto (1.25.1 and Older)

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

NewPro crapped out - had to re-install need help getting fil

Postby praha » Thu Apr 25, 2002 4:59 pm

Hello,

Yesterday while submitting a news item on my website, goldseek.com - my news.txt file would NOT update!?! My newsdata.txt file would but no matter what I did, news.txt file would not accept anyting!! So after hours of attempting to fix it I decided to re-install a backup copy I had.

Now I now seem to have NewsPro 100% back up and working BUT this is what I lost....

all the news items, several hundred, which are STILL in their folders with the news item - they were not deleted (i am using newscat and profiles). Now how can i get newspro to recognize all those previous news submittions thats were made?? Right now if you go to my website, goldseek.com - you will see under the Editorials/Commentaires and reports section that only 1 item is there - I have not allowed Newspro to overwrite my old Archive so the previous news.txt ARCHIVED files are still around.

Basically, I am not sure how Newspro TAGS news items submitted so w/ my problem now, I cannot seem to figure out how to get Newspro to recognize all those news items i submitted before.

ANY suggestions or help would be very much appriciated!!! i would hold you in my highest regards and would love to even possibly help in future devlopment since I am learning soo much about newspro's features -- i just can't seem to figure this one out!

Thanks!
Peter
praha

Postby msbzdragn » Thu Apr 25, 2002 6:43 pm

Oh dear - if you overwrote your newsdat.txt file, you've got a very nasty job in front of you. NewsPro stores all of its news items in that file (the news database); there is no way for it to reimport news from your archive pages.

Your only choice is to manually go through and cut'n'paste all of that old stuff and resubmit it as new news items. I can't remember how you change the dates any more, but there is a way to do so. I'm sure somebody else can answer that part of the question...
Michael R. Tomkins
Administrator, 'Unofficial Coranto / NewsPro Forums'

Mitsubishi Diamante Forum

Do NOT send me instant messages asking for Coranto help without me telling you explicitly to do so. You WILL be placed on ignore if you do so; I don't have time to provide personal tech support to every person who IM's me. Sorry!
msbzdragn

Thanks -- followup

Postby praha » Thu Apr 25, 2002 10:12 pm

Thanks for the info. I didnt realize newsdat.txt held ALL news submitted. I think that after a few hundred news items that possible just was too much for it to handle? Any idea of how many files newsdat.txt should hold?

I was able to retrieve from google.com's cahced pages some of the info back... a temp fix for the next few days :)

Does COranto use one file for all news too?? If not, can we look into buliding past this newspro flaw?

Also, even if you use categories and profiles you sure all news is stored in newsdat.txt file?

I appriciate your time replying to me. I looked at your website and enjoy what you have done with newspro. Looks like we have a similar setup for the snippet there -- except your layout seems to be more clear.

Peter
praha

Postby msbzdragn » Thu Apr 25, 2002 11:09 pm

Peter

Thanks for the kind words about my site. I have hundreds of items and many megs in both NewsPro and Coranto with no problems. Coranto has been tested to much larger database sizes.

Both NewsPro and Coranto use flat-file databases by default and I doubt this is your problem. Coranto can be made to use SQL with the CorantoSQL addon, but I would guess your problem was related to browser caching, a caching server or perhaps your web server is killing processes that use a lot of processing and caught it whilst it was writing the files. (Coranto builds only changed items by default, NewsPro has to build them all.)
Michael R. Tomkins
Administrator, 'Unofficial Coranto / NewsPro Forums'

Mitsubishi Diamante Forum

Do NOT send me instant messages asking for Coranto help without me telling you explicitly to do so. You WILL be placed on ignore if you do so; I don't have time to provide personal tech support to every person who IM's me. Sorry!
msbzdragn

Return to Coranto Development Archives -- 1.25.1 and Older