Coranto 1.30.8

Archive of notes and cross input on Dev versions of Coranto (1.25.1 and Older)

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Postby Parahead » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:18 pm

LoneOwl wrote:Regarding the split newsdat, well a few months ago my free web host provider decided to enforce their file size limits of 256k on the cgi-bin. I don't know if it was enforced elsewhere, but in any case, that file was much bigger, I think around 1.5 megs. So if I can help, I'll try.
It is quite possible to have the newsdat.txt file outside the cgi-bin folder though...

cerberos76 wrote:The new method of loading addon is necessary to guarantee thatalso addons in cgi-bin can be supported (so if you want you can have addons in both cgi-bin and cgi-bin/addons folder).

I expect that the new folder organisation might have a very limited impact on a few addons, that will need small modifications (as you pointed out for XMS). While developing the beta we will try and find out these problems and sort them out.
There are a bunch of addons that do test for other addons (some examples: ChangeDateNew, CopyNews, CustomFields, Multipart, ShadowMail) but I think that XMS is the only one doing a test like this, the others do a regular expression match that finds them anyway.

Having that said, my personal opinon is that the AddonsLoaded variable should only contain the filename, not the folder as well. I also do not think it is a good idea to be able to have the same addon activated (or even just located) in both the cgi-bin/coranto folder as well as the cgi-bin/coranto/addon folder. That approach is guaranteed to make some users confused and a source of trouble. My suggestion is to perform a check if the same addon is located in both these folder and issue a warning about it, but that is just me... ;-)
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby Parahead » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:21 pm

Parahead wrote:Having that said, my personal opinon is that the AddonsLoaded variable should only contain the filename, not the folder as well. I also do not think it is a good idea to be able to have the same addon activated (or even just located) in both the cgi-bin/coranto folder as well as the cgi-bin/coranto/addon folder. That approach is guaranteed to make some users confused and a source of trouble. My suggestion is to perform a check if the same addon is located in both these folder and issue a warning about it, but that is just me... ;-)
Having thought about it some more, what is the reason to be able to have addons in both the cgi-bin/coranto and cgi-bin/coranto/addons folder? Since the addons folder is used in the 1.30.x series, shouldn´t that be the only place to put addons from now on? I assume this approach is used for the languages, templates and the rest of the folders anyway? Or am I missing something?
Parahead

Postby cerberos76_ » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:10 pm

The idea of supporting both cgi-bin and cgi-bin/addons comes from the auto-enabling addons. I have written a small subroutine that will autoenable any addon placed inside the cgi-bin/addons folder (i.e. you place it there and it is on by default).

It is already inside the core, even if its call is commented out because I needed more testing (with private instlallations; I had no problems with public ones).
Since then I have thought that is probably better to distribute it as a separate addon (and I will do so) or as an option of AddonEnabler, but still I want a mechanism to have the addons clealry separated as an option (i.e. those in cgi-bin not autoenabled but usable even if the Autoenabler addon is on).
Coranto addons:
* GuestPost, one click guestposting
* MoveIt!, Advanced Backup and site transfer
* PartialRebuild, CPU-friendly enhancement of FullBuild
* URLColumn, URLs for multiple Categories/Profiles
* Tickit!, Javascript News Tickers/Faders for Coranto!
* AddonEnabler, enables or disables single, multiple or all addons in one go
* SubmitMultiple, post consecutive news in an automatic loop!
* RSSAdvanced, RelatedNews ....

Get them at: http://coranto.gweilo.org/addons/
cerberos76_

Postby bozoka45 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:24 pm

cerberos76 wrote:I personally do no use XMS, but will start giving a look to that code once 1.30.9 is out. From what you say, I doubt the drop-down problem is related to the the changes we made (i.e. if the categories are identified I do not see how thei display might be affected by the folder name change...). But if you have time, give a look into that code to see where the problem is.

I'd be willing to bet you're right on this one. I'll continue to search for whats making XMS falter.
bozoka45

Postby cerberos76_ » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:27 pm

Parahead wrote: XMS is the only one doing a test like this, the others do a regular expression match that finds them anyway.

Yes, regex matching with the addon name solves any problem.
This is also why I was puzzled in hearing of the other 'side effect' that bazooka was talking about and which I don't know why should be caused by this new mechanism...

Having that said, my personal opinon is that the AddonsLoaded variable should only contain the filename, not the folder as well. I also do not think it is a good idea to be able to have the same addon activated (or even just located) in both the cgi-bin/coranto folder as well as the cgi-bin/coranto/addon folder. That approach is guaranteed to make some users confused and a source of trouble. My suggestion is to perform a check if the same addon is located in both these folder and issue a warning about it, but that is just me... ;-)

I don't see it as confusing at all. Read the other comment on the auto-enabling feature and you will understand why I left two options.
I do not think people are so dumb to put an addon in both folders...
Coranto addons:

cerberos76_

Postby LoneOwl » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:18 am

Where would an autenabled but then disabled addon go to?
LoneOwl

Postby Parahead » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:43 am

cerberos76 wrote:
Parahead wrote:Having that said, my personal opinon is that the AddonsLoaded variable should only contain the filename, not the folder as well. I also do not think it is a good idea to be able to have the same addon activated (or even just located) in both the cgi-bin/coranto folder as well as the cgi-bin/coranto/addon folder. That approach is guaranteed to make some users confused and a source of trouble. My suggestion is to perform a check if the same addon is located in both these folder and issue a warning about it, but that is just me... ;-)

I don't see it as confusing at all. Read the other comment on the auto-enabling feature and you will understand why I left two options.
I do not think people are so dumb to put an addon in both folders...
cerberos, I do understand your thoughts about auto enabling, but if there is an Yes/No-option for that and the solution is provided as an addon then I don´t see any problem in having addons only in the addon folder? And I wouldn´t say dumb, but misstakes happens so eliminating sources of errors is a good idea. For example, we have had a couple of reports about problems when people upgrade. Both them and we in the community then spends some time figuring out what can be wrong and then it turns out that they previously have changed the extension from .pl to .cgi and forget about it when they upgrade. Dumb or not, same thing basically... ;-)
Parahead

Postby cerberos76_ » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:11 pm

LoneOwl wrote:Where would an autenabled but then disabled addon go to?

if the autenabling feature is on:
The file stays where it is. If the addon is placed in the cgi-bin/addon folder and the autoenabling is on, the addon is simply automatically reenabled at the next login.

If you want the addon really on/off (i.e. use some time or test) and still wish to take advantage of the autoenabling feature for other addons, you will need to place the test addon in cgi-bin and use exactly as in the past.

If the autoenabling feature is off:
The file stays where it is and there is no difference in placing the addon in cgi-bin or in cgi-bin/addons

Parahead:
Just see this double folder support as a debugging feature.
You can say to the 'newbies' that they have to put the addons in /cgi-bin/addons and stop. With the autoenabling on, I think it is the maximum of ease for them. They will put addons there and they will be magically added on...
[ I am also writing a little distribution script, which prebuilds coranto zips with some predifined addons at user's choice and this would make things even easier for them to start quickly]

Advanced users might use the double folder option as they like with more flexibility. One example is what I just said: you might wish to have installations with autoenabling on for addons you trust and know, but you might also want to give some little testing to others and not like to have them autoenabled all the time at each login.
Coranto addons:

cerberos76_

Postby Dale Ray » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:48 pm

I hope that if the addon auto enable code is included in the core that a setting is added to the main settings page to disable this "feature". I am sure I am not the only "paranoid" who wants complete control of the addons.

I also think that there should only be ONE place for addons. Newer and inexperienced users will be confused by having multiple locations for addons. It will also make it more difficult for assisting users with troubleshooting. I can see the post now, "Darn! I forgot that addon in the other folder."
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby bozoka45 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:49 pm

Dale Ray wrote:I hope that if the addon auto enable code is included in the core that a setting is added to the main settings page to disable this "feature". I am sure I am not the only "paranoid" who wants complete control of the addons.

I'd rather turn them off/on than have the autoenable feature as well. Sometimes I upload addons and don't want them on just yet.
bozoka45

Postby cerberos76_ » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:11 pm

autoenabling addons will be an optional feature. As I mentioned I plan to release that routine as a separate addon (only optionally autoenabled if chosen in the multi-distribution!). So only those who wish this feature will have it.

For the folders: I think some people do not read my posts.
I said: consider as if only the cgi-bin/addon exist as a place for your addons and suggest to users to use ONLY that folder.

Any other use or folder will be for testing/debugging and for those who know what they do...
Coranto addons:

cerberos76_

Postby bozoka45 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:25 pm

I wanted to report back on the XMS problem I was having. If you've read this thread, you'll know that I reported that category locking was not working between XMS v 2.1 and Coranto 1.30.8

I upgraded my first version of Coranto from 1.24 to Coranto 1.30.8, so I thought it might have been a problem with the upgrade. However, I just setup a fresh copy of Coranto 1.30.8, enabled XMS (after making the fix to search for the ncategory.pl file) and tried to use Category locking. For some reason, it didn't work. I was presented with a drop down box of all the categories.

I'll look around in the XMS code, but I personally doubt I'll have too much luck, its a little too advanced for me.

Being that this is a pretty popular addon, I thought I should post it in here.
bozoka45

Postby Parahead » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:21 am

bozoka45 wrote:I upgraded my first version of Coranto from 1.24 to Coranto 1.30.8, so I thought it might have been a problem with the upgrade. However, I just setup a fresh copy of Coranto 1.30.8, enabled XMS (after making the fix to search for the ncategory.pl file) and tried to use Category locking. For some reason, it didn't work. I was presented with a drop down box of all the categories.
I still think this has to do with XMS searching for other enabled addons with a equal search insteda of a regexp one...

bozoka45 wrote:I'll look around in the XMS code, but I personally doubt I'll have too much luck, its a little too advanced for me.
Do a search for "cra_" and you will find every place where it does a search for other addons (cra_ncategory.pl and cra_tintinnalbum.pl), the quick fix for *your* installation would be to add the addons path in the checking, since I guess you have them placed in that folder. I fix this in a better way using regexp later on...
Parahead

Postby bozoka45 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:08 am

You were right, Para :)

I made a rookie mistake. This is the other line that needs to be changed:

Code: Select all
$Subs{DisplaySubForm} =~ s!# HOOK: DisplaySubForm_TopRow[\s\S]+?;\}!if(\$Addons{DisplaySubForm_TopRow}){for my \$w (\@{\$Addons{DisplaySubForm_TopRow}}){my \$addon=\$w->[2];if((\$addon->{file} eq 'addons/cra_ncategory.pl' or \$addon->{file} eq 'addons/cra_tintinnabulum.pl') and \$XMS_DB->{\$profname}->{LockCats} ne 'Disabled' and \$XMS_DB{\$profname}->{LockCats} ne 'AllCategories'){my \@LockCats = split(/\\`\\|\\`/, \$XMS_DB{\$profname}->{LockCats});my \$catopts = join '', map { qq~<option value="\$_">\$_</option>~ } \@LockCats;print FieldsRow('Category', ( \@LockCats > 1 ? qq~<select name="Category"~ . ( \$addon->{file} eq 'addons/cra_tintinnabulum.pl' ? ' multiple' : '' ) . qq~>\$catopts</select>~ : qq~\$LockCats[0]<input name="Category" type="hidden" value="\$LockCats[0]">~));}else{eval \${\$w->[0]};AErr(\$addon,\$\@)if \$\@;};}!;

Its a hook, so its commented. So in my text editor, I quickly looked at it and thought "oh! it must be an old something or other that he commented" and really didn't bother looking into it. Its line 664 or so.

XMS looks to be working great with Coranto 1.30.8 now. I guess an updated version of XMS should be included in the Coranto 1.30.8 package?

Also, Parahead, does your empty profile addon work with 1.3x series yet? I know in the docmentation it says it doesn't, but I wasn't sure how up-to-date that is.
bozoka45

Postby Parahead » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:53 pm

bozoka45 wrote:XMS looks to be working great with Coranto 1.30.8 now. I guess an updated version of XMS should be included in the Coranto 1.30.8 package?
Nope, XMS should not be included in the release package. There is only one addon included in the package and that is the Category addon (for historical reasons), no other addon should be included into the official release.

bozoka45 wrote:Also, Parahead, does your empty profile addon work with 1.3x series yet? I know in the docmentation it says it doesn't, but I wasn't sure how up-to-date that is.
I think the hook that I refer to in the documentation has been reverted to the old place from 1.30.4 and onwards so it should work with the current release of 1.30.x. Please do give the EmptyProfile addon a try if you are in need of the funcionality and report back... :-)
Parahead

PreviousNext

Return to Coranto Development Archives -- 1.25.1 and Older