Coranto 1.30.8

Archive of notes and cross input on Dev versions of Coranto (1.25.1 and Older)

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Postby cerberos76_ » Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:31 pm

In order:
1) yes back-compatibility has been thought of.
The addons will still work also if simply put in the coranto folder (instead of /addons). The core .pl files stay in the same folder, the settings files have each a CConfig variable associated with their full path, so I believe that any addon using them should not have problems.
The thing I need to check is the movement of the newsdat under /data. That might be a slight issue and is to be verified.
But the structure is really tidy in 1.30.9 (I hope this will be the solid structure to keep it on).

I know that Moveit will certainly be affected, but I plan to update it pretty soon, so no problems with it. I am thinking to a sort of small installer/upgrade script in case of old installations.

2) The addon documentation is much better separate from the addon itself (in an html file possibly). This improves its efficiency (specially for long documentations like Maginot...). The specifics will be documented for all addon coders. Old style will also be supported, but not reccomended.

3) I wrote that readme file. It is something that was really needed!
Coranto addons:
* GuestPost, one click guestposting
* MoveIt!, Advanced Backup and site transfer
* PartialRebuild, CPU-friendly enhancement of FullBuild
* URLColumn, URLs for multiple Categories/Profiles
* Tickit!, Javascript News Tickers/Faders for Coranto!
* AddonEnabler, enables or disables single, multiple or all addons in one go
* SubmitMultiple, post consecutive news in an automatic loop!
* RSSAdvanced, RelatedNews ....

Get them at: http://coranto.gweilo.org/addons/
cerberos76_

Postby Trinkaltbier » Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:13 pm

When will these alpha releases become beta releases become official releases? Just how far away are we?

Having tried out just about ever blog software in the world, nothing does what Coranto (and Newspro before it) does so efficiently.

Jamie
Trinkaltbier

Postby Parahead » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:09 pm

trinkaltbier wrote:When will these alpha releases become beta releases become official releases? Just how far away are we?
I haven´t spoken to SrNupsen nor cerberos76 about this so this is just my own thoughts, OK... Personally I have been using the 1.30.4 version of Coranto on my site without any problems since August. I sent cerberos that version and my hope at that point in time was that 1.30.4 was going to be fixed with some cosmetic things and then released as a public stable release. That didn´t happen and cerberos76 has now implemented a bunch of new things. I do *not* say this is bad in any way, quite the opposite, but just that it makes it more important to test things before an official release! I know that he is working with getting the documentation stuff in a seperate folder as well (I have sent him an addon of how this could work), but I do hope he has the time to finish of the things he has currently started in the 1.30.x series. It is really only he who can have an opinion about when it can be finilized... :-)

PS. It also would depend on how many people actually conduct testing of the releases, if none does any testing it is hard to find any bugs and declare it an official release... ;-)
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby cerberos76_ » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:47 pm

I have an internal version 1.30.9 which has some further improvements over 1.30.8, it has 8 languages and what I consider the final folder configuration certainly for this version 1.30 series. I am doing some test because many paths have changed and I need to be sure it works before releasing. I hope anyway this will be out very soon and can be tested by as many people as possible.

In general I trust the core is reasonably stable now (before the next big wave of improvements) and many smaller issues have been solved.
One big issue (the scalability) is still to be solved soon and is under works for later versions.

I have posted a roadmap with the 1.30 series.
According to this roadmap, I hope to have a stable version of this .30 series out for any site by December (a Cristmas present for all).
Coranto addons:

cerberos76_

Postby LoneOwl » Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:45 pm

Regarding the split newsdat, well a few months ago my free web host provider decided to enforce their file size limits of 256k on the cgi-bin. I don't know if it was enforced elsewhere, but in any case, that file was much bigger, I think around 1.5 megs. So if I can help, I'll try.
LoneOwl

Postby SrNupsen » Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:53 pm

On a side note, work on the new site is progressing nicely at the moment, so what better Christmas present could we possibly give our users than the new 1.30 release AND the new site design?!

SrNupsen
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby LoneOwl » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:01 am

I could give an honest answer to that....but probably shouldn't... Let's just say I'll have had about 10 bottles of wine since the break started.
LoneOwl

Postby bozoka45 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:27 am

Ok, I had version 1.24 installed with a ton of addons. I wanted to try out this nifty new version of Coranto. I used Moveit! to move my important files from point A to point B. When I put the addons into the /addons folder, none of them are registered. They are, however, registered within the data files directory.

I'm working on a solution right now, it seems from what I've read in this thread that its more a problem with Moveit! then with Coranto?

Update:

Easier solution than I thought. I just had to add:

AddonDir``xD:/www/cgi-bin/2005/addons

to my nsettings.cgi.

Perhaps an "upgrade" section (kinda like the setup script that runs the first time someone uses Coranto) would fix this.

Are there any other "new" fields within nsettings.cgi that I should add to my older copy?

BTW, I definately like the new file organization. Can't wait until the templates are done the same way.
bozoka45

Postby bozoka45 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:47 am

Just one other issue I noticed, not sure if intentional or not. I deleted an addon (the hardcopy) while it was enabled. Instead of printing out the normal error message telling me the addon was gone, disabled, and everything will be OK, I got a fatal error. I had to restore the addon, then refresh, disable, then delete the addon.
bozoka45

Postby LoneOwl » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:10 am

Eh, the easiest way for bugs to crop up is to edit the code..... It's a beta, after all.
LoneOwl

Postby cerberos76_ » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:12 am

bozoka45 wrote: When I put the addons into the /addons folder, none of them are registered. They are, however, registered within the data files directory.

Do you mena they are not enabled? Or do you mean they are not even listed in the addon manager?

I have written a routine which autoenables addons put i the /addon folder. This is in the current version also in .8), but is commented out. ths is because I need more testing. the problems came from 'private' installations, but it is something easy to improve.
If you have time uncheck the comment on that routine (in craddon.pl) and test it a bit more... I am thinking anyway to release that as a separate addon.

I'm working on a solution right now, it seems from what I've read in this thread that its more a problem with Moveit! then with Coranto?

No. For moving things there should not be problems with Moveit!
The problms are the paths where Moveit will try and find files for its periodic backups. I will modify that addon to use both old and new method soon.

Easier solution than I thought. I just had to add:

AddonDir``xD:/www/cgi-bin/2005/addons

to my nsettings.cgi.

Perhaps an "upgrade" section (kinda like the setup script that runs the first time someone uses Coranto) would fix this.

Yes. that is needed for upgrading from previous version. I have in mind a small script to do that. For the moment I have first to make this new release more stable for those starting from scratch and testing with it.

Are there any other "new" fields within nsettings.cgi that I should add to my older copy?

There are a few language ones.
To be sure of exact names, just read the setup file and compare with the one from 1.24. Yo will find a couple of extra CConfig variables to add when upgrading... this will be automatic in the upgrade script... but not yet done.

BTW, I definately like the new file organization. Can't wait until the templates are done the same way.

This is extracted from the current readme from the .9 version I am still testing. It gives you the current status of folder organisation

=============================
Coranto Folder Structure
In the distribution .zip file you will find all the files needed to run Coranto on your site (no extra modules required:

+ cgi-bin --- This folder contains necessary coranto data
| + addons --- This folder contains Coranto addons
| + data --- This folder contains Coranto database
| | + arc --- This folder contains Coranto archives
| + debug --- This folder contains Coranto debug functions
| + docs --- This folder contains Coranto addon documentation
| + languages --- This folder contains Coranto languages strings
| + templates --- This folder contains Coranto templates
|
+ documentation --- This folder contains Coranto documentation

All the files inside cgi-bin should be transferred to your (remote) web site (via FTP for example) to allow a full working version of Coranto.
The files under documentation are for you reading and learning. They are not needed remotely.

If you need to save space remotely you can also:
- remove the folder debug
- remove the languages you do not intend to use from the languages folder
- remove the addon documentation folder (docs)
Coranto addons:

cerberos76_

Postby cerberos76_ » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:14 am

bozoka45 wrote:Just one other issue I noticed, not sure if intentional or not. I deleted an addon (the hardcopy) while it was enabled. Instead of printing out the normal error message telling me the addon was gone, disabled, and everything will be OK, I got a fatal error. I had to restore the addon, then refresh, disable, then delete the addon.

I thought I debugged those little problems... probably not all of them.
Could you tell where the addon was located (in the new cgi-bin/addon folder? or in the old place cgi-bin? and what addon was it? )
Coranto addons:

cerberos76_

Postby bozoka45 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:56 pm

Do you mena they are not enabled? Or do you mean they are not even listed in the addon manager?

They were not listed. They were listed when I moved them into the core files path, however.

Coranto Folder Structure
In the distribution .zip file you will find all the files needed to run Coranto on your site (no extra modules required:

+ cgi-bin --- This folder contains necessary coranto data
| + addons --- This folder contains Coranto addons
| + data --- This folder contains Coranto database
| | + arc --- This folder contains Coranto archives
| + debug --- This folder contains Coranto debug functions
| + docs --- This folder contains Coranto addon documentation
| + languages --- This folder contains Coranto languages strings
| + templates --- This folder contains Coranto templates
|
+ documentation --- This folder contains Coranto documentation

All the files inside cgi-bin should be transferred to your (remote) web site (via FTP for example) to allow a full working version of Coranto.
The files under documentation are for you reading and learning. They are not needed remotely.

If you need to save space remotely you can also:
- remove the folder debug
- remove the languages you do not intend to use from the languages folder
- remove the addon documentation folder (docs)

Very nice!

Could you tell where the addon was located (in the new cgi-bin/addon folder? or in the old place cgi-bin? and what addon was it? )

In the /addon folder. cra_filterbyfield2.pl (Filter by Field 2 by Parahead).
bozoka45

Postby bozoka45 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:55 am

I've noticed another backwards compatibility bug regarding the addons folder.

For the Category Locking feature of the XMS addon, XMS first checks to make sure that cra_ncategory.pl is loaded. Because the new LoadedAddons variable is setup such as below, the XMS addon is unable to find that the Category addon is loaded This prevents the "Category Locking" feature from appearing within XMS.

I was able to fix this by editing version 2.0 build 8 of XMS to read:

Code: Select all
if($LoadedAddons{'cra_ncategory.pl'} or $LoadedAddons{'cra_tintinnabulum.pl'}){

To:

if( $LoadedAddons{'cra_ncategory.pl'} || $LoadedAddons{'cra_tintinnabulum.pl'} || $LoadedAddons{'addons/cra_ncategory.pl'} || $LoadedAddons{'addons/cra_tintinnabulum.pl'} ){

New way AddonsLoaded looks:

AddonsLoaded``xaddons/cra_annerice.pl~addons/cra_backup.pl~....

Old way:

AddonsLoaded``xcra_annerice.pl~cra_backup.pl~....

I wouldn't be surprised if one or two more addons had a problem with this....

*UPDATE*

Ok, just wanted to point out that while you can now select a category to lock, I haven't been able to get it to work. After I select one category to lock to a profile, I go to the Submit Page, and instead of displaying the Category without a drop-down box, as its supposed to work, I get a drop-down box with all the categories listed.

I have version 1.24 with the same addons loaded and I'm not having this problem.

Any ideas?
bozoka45

Postby cerberos76_ » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:11 pm

The new method of loading addon is necessary to guarantee thatalso addons in cgi-bin can be supported (so if you want you can have addons in both cgi-bin and cgi-bin/addons folder).

I expect that the new folder organisation might have a very limited impact on a few addons, that will need small modifications (as you pointed out for XMS). While developing the beta we will try and find out these problems and sort them out.

I personally do no use XMS, but will start giving a look to that code once 1.30.9 is out. From what you say, I doubt the drop-down problem is related to the the changes we made (i.e. if the categories are identified I do not see how thei display might be affected by the folder name change...). But if you have time, give a look into that code to see where the problem is.
Coranto addons:

cerberos76_

PreviousNext

Return to Coranto Development Archives -- 1.25.1 and Older