Discussion of new versions

Archive of notes and cross input on Dev versions of Coranto (1.25.1 and Older)

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Discussion of new versions

Postby SrNupsen » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:50 pm

Hi all,

a) Parahead is as of now a moderator of this forum, allowing him to start threads since he seems to have some good ideas for future versions :wink:

b) Technical discussion thread split. Please keep on topic guys!

c) Small reminder: Only moderators are allowed to start threads in this forum, but everybody can reply to threads here.

Also a small question to cerberos: Are the ideas we see here due for the 1.30 series, and if not ( :wink: ) what's the time frame for releasing 1.30?

SrNupsen
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Re: Discussion of new versions

Postby cerberos76_ » Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:42 am

SrNupsen wrote:
Also a small question to cerberos: Are the ideas we see here due for the 1.30 series, and if not ( :wink: ) what's the time frame for releasing 1.30?

The major focus of the series 1.30.x is optimising the database and removing current space constraints. That is what has been discussed specially lately. This is a real major task.
Of course along the way there might some hook requests, small visual improvements, some other smaller code improvement ideas (such as the locking with nsettings etc).
Coranto addons:
* GuestPost, one click guestposting
* MoveIt!, Advanced Backup and site transfer
* PartialRebuild, CPU-friendly enhancement of FullBuild
* URLColumn, URLs for multiple Categories/Profiles
* Tickit!, Javascript News Tickers/Faders for Coranto!
* AddonEnabler, enables or disables single, multiple or all addons in one go
* SubmitMultiple, post consecutive news in an automatic loop!
* RSSAdvanced, RelatedNews ....

Get them at: http://coranto.gweilo.org/addons/
cerberos76_

Re: Discussion of new versions

Postby Parahead » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:59 am

SrNupsen wrote:a) Parahead is as of now a moderator of this forum, allowing him to start threads since he seems to have some good ideas for future versions :wink:
Thank you for your trust! :-)

cerberos76 wrote:The major focus of the series 1.30.x is optimising the database and removing current space constraints. That is what has been discussed specially lately. This is a real major task.
Of course along the way there might some hook requests, small visual improvements, some other smaller code improvement ideas (such as the locking with nsettings etc).
I know we have discussed this before cerberos, but what do you think about releasing 1.30.4 which would basically be the 1.30.3 with the small fixes attached to it as described in that thread? My personal view on this is that it then should be stable enough to have people start testing this series? I have used such a patched version of 1.30.3 on my site for month now without problems. Maybe even be so bold as to say that 1.30.4 should be an official release (1.31) and we could continue the development as you describe in 1.32.x? Just a suggestion and I can take no for an aswer... ;-)
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby cerberos76_ » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:50 am

I agree that 1.3.4 is stable enoguh to be put together, but needs more people trying it out before an official release.
So I will prepare a package with it and encourage more testers in.
Coranto addons:
* GuestPost, one click guestposting
* MoveIt!, Advanced Backup and site transfer
* PartialRebuild, CPU-friendly enhancement of FullBuild
* URLColumn, URLs for multiple Categories/Profiles
* Tickit!, Javascript News Tickers/Faders for Coranto!
* AddonEnabler, enables or disables single, multiple or all addons in one go
* SubmitMultiple, post consecutive news in an automatic loop!
* RSSAdvanced, RelatedNews ....

Get them at: http://coranto.gweilo.org/addons/
cerberos76_

Postby SrNupsen » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:02 am

cerberos76 wrote:So I will prepare a package with it and encourage more testers in.

That's very good.

SrNupsen
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
SrNupsen

Postby Parahead » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:16 am

cerberos76 wrote:I agree that 1.3.4 is stable enoguh to be put together, but needs more people trying it out before an official release.
So I will prepare a package with it and encourage more testers in.
Yes, of course it would need more testing before becoming an official release, what I ment was the that the goal with the 1.30.4 release would be to halt any further improvements or additions to the 1.30.x and make the functionality currently in that series become an official version (1.31) with 1.30.4 as the first step...

The *development* could then continue in 1.32.x...
Parahead

Postby shanemckiness » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:24 pm

Is there a master list of all the current (known) bugs in the beta version? I would like to get to testing it out soon, if possible. :cry:

-Shane
shanemckiness

Postby Parahead » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:16 am

shanemckiness wrote:Is there a master list of all the current (known) bugs in the beta version? I would like to get to testing it out soon, if possible. :cry:
I have had a package ready for release from a technical point of view now for a while (about one and a half month) as mentioned in this thread and I have not really worked with it any more from that point in time. Basically from my point of view it is up to SrNupsen and dragn if they would like to release it as is or take the oppertunity to update the docs, license text, installation messages and so on.

I don't know of any bugs in the package though, but I am sure some will be found when the beta is released. A known problem tough is that some addons will have a hard time with the new folder structure (before they are updated to deal with it), but there is a fallback approach of not using subfolders as well. Since the persons involved in the new 1.31.x package more or less have been focused to bring it to the same level of development as where 1.30.x was interupted, I have not put in any work on the database abstraction layer or the requests for a new admin layout, which both makes a big impact on Coranto.
Parahead

Postby msbzdragn » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:37 pm

If anybody has some spare time and wants to offer to write a new readme etc., that'd be very helpful...
Michael R. Tomkins
Administrator, 'Unofficial Coranto / NewsPro Forums'

Mitsubishi Diamante Forum

Do NOT send me instant messages asking for Coranto help without me telling you explicitly to do so. You WILL be placed on ignore if you do so; I don't have time to provide personal tech support to every person who IM's me. Sorry!
msbzdragn

Postby Parahead » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:51 am

msbzdragn wrote:If anybody has some spare time and wants to offer to write a new readme etc., that'd be very helpful...
Anyone interested can send me a PM to get more detailed info about what needs to be done.
Parahead

Return to Coranto Development Archives -- 1.25.1 and Older