Coranto Translation (localisation)

Archive of notes and cross input on Dev versions of Coranto (1.25.1 and Older)

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Coranto Translation (localisation)

Postby cerberos76_ » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:16 pm

I just start a proper topic on this, given the requests...

My question: how important is this?
Besides the fact that there is an half implementation that could be improved on, do you really see an important feature to translate Coranto (internal) interface?
Coranto addons:
* GuestPost, one click guestposting
* MoveIt!, Advanced Backup and site transfer
* PartialRebuild, CPU-friendly enhancement of FullBuild
* URLColumn, URLs for multiple Categories/Profiles
* Tickit!, Javascript News Tickers/Faders for Coranto!
* AddonEnabler, enables or disables single, multiple or all addons in one go
* SubmitMultiple, post consecutive news in an automatic loop!
* RSSAdvanced, RelatedNews ....

Get them at: http://coranto.gweilo.org/addons/
cerberos76_

Postby SrNupsen » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:02 pm

I think it's quite important. My arguments are:

1) Requests for new features are getting more and more specific. This indicates that Coranto is now closer to 100% "completed" than ever. Language support is, in my opinion, the last big improvement that rests to do (and one that has been discussed for a long time).

2) Language support will enable people from all over the world to use Coranto. I do realize that most people using the Internet now speak English to some extent, but I imagine that this would make Coranto attractive to, let's say, a Hungarian web host that wants to provide an installation of Coranto as part of one of his webpackages, a Dutch news editor who's looking for an easy system for guest posting or whatever you can imagine.

If they see that Coranto can be translated into their laguage, chances are that they will do it for their customers. This way we will see Coranto ported to a number of languages, more people drawn to this forum and the user base growing.

There are two major problems with language support:

1. The amount of work needed. Moving all of Coranto's text out of the core files and into language files will be a hell of a job. To this I can only say that I'm no coder but that I would be happy to help with whatsoever. Perhaps this is silly, but a suggestion to ease the job would be:

- Write a script that extracts all text from the core files into a text file (one variable each line). Treat special characters, escapes and so on.
- Look through the text file and give each text a reasonable variable name
- Make another script that parses all the core files and replaces each text occurence with a reference to the corresponding variable.
- Insert a "NeedFile('norwegian.pl')" where appropriate.

Can this be done?

2. Addons. They don't necessarily follow the same system, and most likely very few addon coders will be willing to recode their addons to provide language support. One solution is, ofcourse, hard translation of the script itself, but this will be pointless if a new version of the addon comes out. UNLESS: I imagine there exist quite a few comparison scripts, allowing the user to compare two text files, review the changes and then output a third text file with the approved changes. This way, upgrading an addon will simply be a matter of discarding all reported text changes (as you would want to keep your original translation) and approving all changes to the code (as this is, in fact, the actual upgrade) - > shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

With time, addon coders could be encouraged to think language support when they are developing a new addon, and put their variables in an external file instead of in the script itself.

This, my friends, is my opinion. I will now be delighted to hear yours.

SrNupsen

Problems: Addons, amount of work.
Then what about addons being updated (if the addon file itself is translated?)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby cerberos76_ » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:58 pm

SrNupsen wrote:- Write a script that extracts all text from the core files into a text file (one variable each line). Treat special characters, escapes and so on.
- Look through the text file and give each text a reasonable variable name
- Make another script that parses all the core files and replaces each text occurence with a reference to the corresponding variable.
- Insert a "NeedFile('norwegian.pl')" where appropriate.

Can this be done?

I guess it would be much easier to do it manually.
It would take about 3-4 hours once to pull all the strings in a separate file.
Writing such a script to do in automatic would be very very challenging.
But doing it manually cna be done more cleverly...
for example the variable name for the language strings could be written so that parsing and extraction would be possible in the future and could be also implemented by addon coders (if they wish so).

For the addons, the only sensible menthod is to use variables for strings and keep them separate. Anything else is impractical.
But it should be responsability of the addon coder to do this. Nobodyelse can do the modifications to enable the translation (unless the addon is open source; but only very few of them are open source)...
Coranto addons:
* GuestPost, one click guestposting
* MoveIt!, Advanced Backup and site transfer
* PartialRebuild, CPU-friendly enhancement of FullBuild
* URLColumn, URLs for multiple Categories/Profiles
* Tickit!, Javascript News Tickers/Faders for Coranto!
* AddonEnabler, enables or disables single, multiple or all addons in one go
* SubmitMultiple, post consecutive news in an automatic loop!
* RSSAdvanced, RelatedNews ....

Get them at: http://coranto.gweilo.org/addons/
cerberos76_

Postby SrNupsen » Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:28 pm

cerberos76 wrote:But it should be responsability of the addon coder to do this. Nobodyelse can do the modifications to enable the translation (unless the addon is open source; but only very few of them are open source)...

Yup, you're right. No addon author can be forced to include language support (and I guess it won't always be needed), but I think it would be a great motivation if the core itself has it.

SrNupsen

[EDIT] I remember Lawrence was working with laguage support a long time ago. Has anybody heard from him lately?
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
SrNupsen

Postby Joyrex » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:00 am

Topic subtitle: localization :D

Kinda useful if you're doing proofing on translations...
We are the music makers...we are the dreamers of the dreams...
Joyrex

Postby faithless » Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:40 pm

s or z ,depending on where you're from.
faithless

Postby kriko » Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:10 pm

faithless wrote:s or z ,depending on where you're from.

z is from british english and s is from american english, thus z being the correct form :p
Kristjan aka. kriko
now a wireless expert
kriko

Postby LoneOwl » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:15 pm

To be accurate, there's American English and British English, and they are seperate. There are of course obvious similarities, but many differences. Even in American English there are dialects. But I think it's Webster who gave us American English, that and the fact we had some times of people living away from towns.
LoneOwl

Languages

Postby Lumberjack » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:58 pm

Back to the original language discussion, I think it would work very well if it was arranged in the same way as the subroutines are now. Put each one in a named block (or similar) and give the core an interface with the text in order to call it. The interface would need to allow an option to specify a different file, in order to be compatible with addons. If this was a core feature, it would be the best way for addon authors to make their addons accessible to language translation. Just provide a template as a starter. Of course, doing it this way would often require nesting this text interface inside other things, such as a table row interface command, etc. But people would soon pick it up.
Lumberjack

Postby Parahead » Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:50 am

Is there anyone that has actually been involved in a localization project that can give some pointers?

Has anyone of you used the Locale::Maketext module?
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby doom » Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:36 am

Good evenin'

I think SrNupsen pretty much said it all. Beeing able to translate Coranto (the interface) would be very very good.

As it is right now, one can only translate like 40% of the lines, so we end up with a Frankenstein Coranto that isnt very user-friendly. Please, to all the coders behind Coranto - go ahead with the localization thing!
doom

Postby doom » Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:40 am

Parahead wrote:Is there anyone that has actually been involved in a localization project that can give some pointers?

Has anyone of you used the Locale::Maketext module?

Parahead, i once dealt with the translation of Sourceforge.net - i really didnt mess with any code, it was just a sheet with many lines that i changed and sent them back.

They put it online but then i noticed some stuff was still in english. I guess their system wasnt perfect, just like Coranto's :/
doom

Return to Coranto Development Archives -- 1.25.1 and Older