Coranto 1.30.3 is out

Archive of notes and cross input on Dev versions of Coranto (1.25.1 and Older)

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Postby Parahead » Thu May 13, 2004 6:19 pm

cerberos76 wrote:Yes, thanks for the offer.
Please be welcome to send me your bug-fixed files. I appreciate that and will soon check them and put them out as a new release.
It´s in the mail... Like I said in the mail, I use this version at my site, so it may contain things that you do not which to include in an official release, I don´t want to upset LoneOwl by including JS into the core... ;-)

cerberos76 wrote:The question on testing I asked was because I had reports from testers that sometimes the build process of 1.30.3 was not correct.
The problems I have encountered have been fixed with my modifications, but I can ofcourse not make any guaranties that I have discovered the same problem as other testers... I don´t have any profiles using multiple categories currently but I can do some testing regarding this, I saw a description of when this problem occured in one of the other 1.30-threads I think, I´ll let you know if I run into anything...
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby Lawrence » Thu May 13, 2004 9:20 pm

Based on your previous submissions, I don't doubt that the fixes are good :)
Stuff I'm working on:
- nothing

Addons:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lw-craddons/
Lawrence

Postby Groterra » Fri May 21, 2004 3:24 am

Parahead patch to coranto 130.3 doesn't fix bug that appends in each build same headlines to existing headlines in some txt profiles, rather than overwritten. I have workarounded this bug in some profiles by selecting Maginot "Unsorted (Default Chronological) for Interliking" sort order, despite profiles be standard not Maginot. But that approach doesn't work with some profiles. All profiles have multiples categories and one filtering.

Ex:
Subject 1
Subject 2

If you do a full rebuild:

Subject 1
Subject 2
Subject 1
Subject 2

If you do another full rebuild:

Subject 1
Subject 2
Subject 1
Subject 2
Subject 1
Subject 2
Groterra

Postby Parahead » Fri May 21, 2004 6:27 am

groterra wrote:Parahead patch to coranto 130.3 doesn't fix bug that appends in each build same headlines to existing headlines in some txt profiles, rather than overwritten. I have workarounded this bug in some profiles by selecting Maginot "Unsorted (Default Chronological) for Interliking" sort order, despite profiles be standard not Maginot. But that approach doesn't work with some profiles. All profiles have multiples categories and one filtering.
Could you please give a more precise example of the settings for a profile that do work and another that doesn´t, filter settings and such? Also, if you filter by time or something, please give some examples of newsitems postingtime so we can see if any are filtered out or not...

You see, I have tried to replicate this in my own environment, using several categories, using a different sorting than the default, setting filtering and so on, without being able to get it to behave so that it owerwrites the generated headline file. NOTE: I also have implemented the solution to sort headlines in a different way than the profile it belongs to, described in this thread. That should not take care of this kind of problem though, but untill we know the cause why you get this problem we can´t rule anything out...
Parahead

Postby Groterra » Sat May 22, 2004 3:15 am

I have made a mistake. It's not headlines as posted in above thread but subjects. I have created some txt profiles using Filter by Field 2 addon to include in index page by SSI. Some txt profiles disclosed the bug, but HTML files associated with these profiles didn't disclose the bug. Text profiles have been built correctly without use of Filter by Field 2 addon. I think some changes in coranto 130 conflict with Filter by Field 2 addon.

Results of tests I made:

profile 1 - filter by time and number and 1 (one) filtering by Filter by field2, multiples categories, headlines disabled. Sort order = Default (Reverse Chronological). Appends in each build same subjects to existing subjects in txt profile, rather than overwritten.
profile 2 - filter by time and number and 1 (one) filtering by Filter by field2, multiples categories, headlines disabled. Sort order = Maginot Unsorted (Reverse Chronological) for interliking. No problem.
profile 3.1 - filter by time and number and 2 (two) filtering by Filter by field2, multiples categories, headlines disabled. Sort order = Maginot Unsorted (Reverse Chronological) for interliking. No problem.
profile 3.2 - filter by time and number and 2 (two) filtering by Filter by field2, multiples categories, headlines disabled. Sort order = Default (Reverse Chronological). No problem.
Groterra

Postby Parahead » Sat May 22, 2004 12:27 pm

groterra wrote:I have made a mistake. It's not headlines as posted in above thread but subjects. I have created some txt profiles using Filter by Field 2 addon to include in index page by SSI. Some txt profiles disclosed the bug, but HTML files associated with these profiles didn't disclose the bug. Text profiles have been built correctly without use of Filter by Field 2 addon. I think some changes in coranto 130 conflict with Filter by Field 2 addon.
A quick look into the Filter by Field 2 addon makes me certain that the problem is because of this thing I mentioned a couple of posts up in this thread. I *think* this bug (yes, I would say bug) in Coranto can be fixed by moving the two lines of code where the incrementing in crcore.pl is done to another place (right before the file opening test). I will do some investigation about this and get back to you...
Parahead

Postby Parahead » Sat May 22, 2004 1:03 pm

Yeah, the solution is to move the incrementation from one place to another... I can´t see any reason for this to conflict with anything, but since cerberos76 and Lawrence has been poking around in this particular area to speed up the building process I might have overlooked something. Anyway, I have done this modification in my version and is not experiencing any problems, any modification is up to you though and always do a backup before doing anyting...

In crcore.pl, find the three *separate* lines below and remove them (or comment out):
Code: Select all
$countnews{$i}++;
my $profcountnews=$countnews{$i};
$countfiltnews{$i}++;

Then you find the line:
if ($profcountnews==1) {$FilesOpened{$i} = CRopen(">$ProfFilePath{$i}/$newsprofiles{$i}->{'textfile'}");}

And change that to:
if (++$countnews{$i}==1) {$FilesOpened{$i} = CRopen(">$ProfFilePath{$i}/$newsprofiles{$i}->{'textfile'}");}

And the line:
if ($countfiltnews{$i}==1) {$FilesOpened{$i} = CRopen(">$ProfFilePath{$i}/$newsprofiles{$i}->{'textfile'}");}

should be changed to:
if (++$countfiltnews{$i}==1) {$FilesOpened{$i} = CRopen(">$ProfFilePath{$i}/$newsprofiles{$i}->{'textfile'}");}

Let us know if that take care of your problems or if you run into anything...
Parahead

Postby cerberos76_ » Sat May 22, 2004 9:47 pm

One side effect of this fix is that if Profile is not Standard, then the value of $countnews{$i} is wrong.

If an addon hooks in here:
# HOOK: BuildNews_ProfileType

and tries to use that same variable for some speed up or other tricks, it will be tricked in finding its value is wrong. ($countnews{$i} should return the number of news processed/built for that profile at any given time; it was put at the top of the build process to count all news...).

The increment of that counter with Parahead latest fix is done not for each news on each profile but only when that particular if gets called... which is only for standard profiles in crcore.pl (at the moment). This results in the counter being wrong for all other profiles

I will think to some cleaner solution, but as a temporary fix should work.
Coranto addons:
* GuestPost, one click guestposting
* MoveIt!, Advanced Backup and site transfer
* PartialRebuild, CPU-friendly enhancement of FullBuild
* URLColumn, URLs for multiple Categories/Profiles
* Tickit!, Javascript News Tickers/Faders for Coranto!
* AddonEnabler, enables or disables single, multiple or all addons in one go
* SubmitMultiple, post consecutive news in an automatic loop!
* RSSAdvanced, RelatedNews ....

Get them at: http://coranto.gweilo.org/addons/
cerberos76_

Postby Parahead » Sun May 23, 2004 8:22 am

cerberos76 wrote:One side effect of this fix is that if Profile is not Standard, then the value of $countnews{$i} is wrong.

If an addon hooks in here:
# HOOK: BuildNews_ProfileType

and tries to use that same variable for some speed up or other tricks, it will be tricked in finding its value is wrong. ($countnews{$i} should return the number of news processed/built for that profile at any given time; it was put at the top of the build process to count all news...).

The increment of that counter with Parahead latest fix is done not for each news on each profile but only when that particular if gets called... which is only for standard profiles in crcore.pl (at the moment). This results in the counter being wrong for all other profiles

I will think to some cleaner solution, but as a temporary fix should work.
OK, I hear what you are saying and understand the goal... :-)

I have some objections though, the thing is that having the counter at the "old" place in the begining of the loop counted *each* newsitem, not taking into considiration if it was being filtered out or not. For example if you had specified a "skip items" number in the profile the "file open test" would be throwned off and always appending.

It will also force every addon that does any filtering to decrement the counter in order for the file open test to work properly. No addon currently does this so any of them that would like to work with the 1.30-series must then be upgraded, like the Filter-by-Field addon. I don´t think that is a good approach considering the confusion it would mean of which addon version is working with which Coranto version... Scenarios like the one with the FbF-addon would be "common" and I could also see interesting bugs appearing when people start using old addons with the 1.30-series together with other updated addons that rely on the counter.

My humble suggestion is to keep it in the way it is after the fix I presented above and if an addon would like to use the "BuildNews_ProfileType"-hook and take advantage of this type of increment, they can do that very thing with a addonspecific increment.

BTW, I have made an addon called NewsCounter (found at my site) which basically does this counting thing *before* the actual building and stores the information in three different arrays, one for the total number of newsitems in a profile, one for the active number of news and one for how many news that has been archived. The problem with that addon is the same as here, it only works properly with a normal profile since an addon implementing another profile type can filter out items or just isn´t aware of how to deal with the counterarray...
Parahead

Postby Groterra » Wed May 26, 2004 7:14 am

parahead, I have tested v130-3 with your mod and it still appends in each build same subjects to existing subjects in txt profile, rather than overwritten.
Groterra

Postby Parahead » Wed May 26, 2004 11:04 am

groterra wrote:

parahead, I have tested v130-3 with your mod and it still appends in each build same subjects to existing subjects in txt profile, rather than overwritten.
Hmmm, OK... When you say "subject", what do you mean then, are we talking about a normal profile where the headlines-part in that profile is not working? Or something else? Please specify in detail and any settings you have for that profile so I can duplicate this...
Parahead

Postby Groterra » Thu May 27, 2004 6:44 am

Subject means the result of <field: subject>. Profile with default sort order only disclosed the bug in txt file. Html file generated by profile is OK.

profile 1 - filter by time and number and 1 (one) filtering by Filter by field2, multiples categories, headlines disabled. Sort order = Default (Reverse Chronological). Appends in each build same subjects to existing subjects in txt profile, rather than overwritten.
profile 2 - filter by time and number and 1 (one) filtering by Filter by field2, multiples categories, headlines disabled. Sort order = Maginot Unsorted (Reverse Chronological) for interliking. No problem.
profile 3.1 - filter by time and number and 2 (two) filtering by Filter by field2, multiples categories, headlines disabled. Sort order = Maginot Unsorted (Reverse Chronological) for interliking. No problem.
profile 3.2 - filter by time and number and 2 (two) filtering by Filter by field2, multiples categories, headlines disabled. Sort order = Default (Reverse Chronological). No problem.
Groterra

Postby Parahead » Fri May 28, 2004 12:13 pm

groterra wrote:parahead, I have tested v130-3 with your mod and it still appends in each build same subjects to existing subjects in txt profile, rather than overwritten.
Parahead wrote:Hmmm, OK... When you say "subject", what do you mean then, are we talking about a normal profile where the headlines-part in that profile is not working? Or something else?
Subject means the result of <field: subject>. Profile with default sort order only disclosed the bug in txt file. Html file generated by profile is OK.
I am not really following you here, are you saying that only the *subject* (<Field: Subject>) is appended in each build? Aren´t we talking about a complete newsitem?

groterra wrote:profile 1 - filter by time and number and 1 (one) filtering by Filter by field2, multiples categories, headlines disabled. Sort order = Default (Reverse Chronological). Appends in each build same subjects to existing subjects in txt profile, rather than overwritten.
Could you please provide me with your version of crcore.pl so I can see how that looks? I can not replicate this bug in my environment...
Parahead

Postby cerberos76_ » Fri May 28, 2004 1:19 pm

groterra,
i am not sure if you can do this. But if you can this would help....

Could you try with the same profiles, categories, styles etc with Coranto 1.23?
[to do that I would reccomend to use moveit to create the files and then work with a fresh installation of the stable coranto.
Alternativel you could temporarily make a copy of your coranto directory, then in the directory put all coranto 1.23 files and just rebuild and see the reults; your coranto 1.3 would still be there in the copied directory.... so if something goes wrong you don't have to worry]

I ask, because this might be a bug in the interaction with addons... And I would like to be certain it is introduced in the new version of coranto, and not in the addon themselves.

Parahead: from my understanding, he has a profile with multiple news. And in the .txt file all the news gets the same subject, as if the field subject does not get refreshed at each build run. So if he has 10 news, they all end up with the same subject even if they have different bodies. But would be something really peculiar.
Coranto addons:
* GuestPost, one click guestposting
* MoveIt!, Advanced Backup and site transfer
* PartialRebuild, CPU-friendly enhancement of FullBuild
* URLColumn, URLs for multiple Categories/Profiles
* Tickit!, Javascript News Tickers/Faders for Coranto!
* AddonEnabler, enables or disables single, multiple or all addons in one go
* SubmitMultiple, post consecutive news in an automatic loop!
* RSSAdvanced, RelatedNews ....

Get them at: http://coranto.gweilo.org/addons/
cerberos76_

Postby Parahead » Fri May 28, 2004 3:25 pm

cerberos76 wrote:Parahead: from my understanding, he has a profile with multiple news. And in the .txt file all the news gets the same subject, as if the field subject does not get refreshed at each build run. So if he has 10 news, they all end up with the same subject even if they have different bodies. But would be something really peculiar.
Yeah, I was starting to think this is the result he is speaking of but like you say, that would ne really peculiar, that´s why I am having a hard time beliving that is the case... ;-)

My humble guess is that the problem is still related to the $countnews{$i}-problem. If the fix isn´t implemented correctly (sorry if I offend you groterra, not my intention) this behaviour would be the result if the first newsitem is filtered out by the FbF-addon so in order to be able to rule out that option I am curious of how his crcore.pl file looks like... :-)
Parahead

PreviousNext

Return to Coranto Development Archives -- 1.25.1 and Older