Coranto 1.30.3 is out

Archive of notes and cross input on Dev versions of Coranto (1.25.1 and Older)

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Postby cerberos76_ » Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:48 pm

The option is there. I used it for sure.
I might be worng, but I think I could just write the extension of the file to be generated. This is in the Edit Profile setting, so that can be customised profile by profile.

If I have time I will check it on a test version I should have somewhere and let you know...
Coranto addons:
* GuestPost, one click guestposting
* MoveIt!, Advanced Backup and site transfer
* PartialRebuild, CPU-friendly enhancement of FullBuild
* URLColumn, URLs for multiple Categories/Profiles
* Tickit!, Javascript News Tickers/Faders for Coranto!
* AddonEnabler, enables or disables single, multiple or all addons in one go
* SubmitMultiple, post consecutive news in an automatic loop!
* RSSAdvanced, RelatedNews ....

Get them at: http://coranto.gweilo.org/addons/
cerberos76_

Postby Parahead » Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:24 pm

You are correct cerberos, my misstake! I was so into looking for another field where to specify the extension so I didn´t notice the small change of the descriptiontext for the "HTML User File Name"-field.

But may I come with a small suggestion regarding this then? Now there are three fields that starts with "HTML" under the Advanced Profile Settings:
- "HTML Template"
- "HTML User File Name"
- "HTML File Title"
But since you can choose any extension it isn´t always a HTML-page, so maybe that word should be skipped. Maybe also change the descriptiontext for those three fields to reflect this change. And make it more clear that the "File Title"-field is really the <Field: Title> tag in the template?

Well, just a suggestion... :-)
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby faithless » Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:44 am

Parahead wrote:cerberos, I am testing 1.30.3 and was curious about the option to specify another fileextension in a *normal* profile, which you say has been included(?), but it doesn´t seem to be there? Shouldn´t it be in the Advanced Settings in the Edit Profile page, or am I missing something?
Huh? isn't this option always there? using 1.23 now.
It is there under the [File Settings] heading under "File name" in the profile settings, where you can specify news.xml, news.shtml, news.php etc...
faithless

Postby Parahead » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:36 am

Nah, what you talk about is the normal file settings when only using a style, this is under the "Advanced Profile Settings", if you use a template to create a complete html-file.

This is not implemented in 1.23, but it *is* implemented in the 1.30.x series, it was just me that was looking for another field (only the extension).
Parahead

Postby Joyrex » Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:36 pm

So, is this version stable enough to be used in a production evironment?

Thanks for all your hard work in progressing Coranto!
We are the music makers...we are the dreamers of the dreams...
Joyrex

Postby cerberos76_ » Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:33 pm

no.
I have not tested it yet properly. It is an alpha.
But I hope to restart development pretty soon now after a small pause due to too much work!
Coranto addons:

cerberos76_

Postby svm » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:28 pm

I have detirmined from small investigations that the Coranto script, henceforth refered to as simply "the script", contains numerous sections of non-hexual repetive data source requests. If these data source requests could be assigned to a variable in the script it could greatly reduce script size and would allow for much easier changes to the core.

Lameans terms: Dude, did ya know that you'll writing the names of the files to write to manualy in many write instinces? What not design a variable to handle this names instead?

SVM 8)

PS: need help? I'm here...
svm

Location: Somewhere in Canada with 10 editors runnning at once. (truth :-)

Postby LoneOwl » Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:49 am

There is no benefit, it will not reduce file size, and will increase overhead. There is really no need to change them to variables. The only possible idea would be to rename the files, and if you really want to do that you can do so yourself with a text editor.
LoneOwl

Postby Parahead » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:27 am

Just would like to point out a small change between version 1.23 and the 1.30.x series that any addon developer that uses the hook BuildNews_Filtering2 should be aware of...

In crcore.pl, just a couple of lines above the hook BuildNews_NewType_Open the call to CRopen is commented out. I assume that the goal is to speed up the building process and quite correct the call really isn´t needed, but since it has previously been there it can cause some problems for addons that don´t take this into account...

The thing is the "v120 profile fix", which includes the use of $countnews{$i}, which in turn is used to determain if the outputfile from the profile should be opened with ">" (overwrite) or ">>" (append). If there is an addon that use the hook BuildNews_Filtering2 and filters the *first* newsitem, the check to overwrite or append later on in BuildNews is not working as intended and the incorrect choice to append is made, which will make the previous build not being overwritten and make things look a bit funny...

It is easy to solve if the addon that uses the hook BuildNews_Filtering2 and actually do filters out a newsitem then also decrement $countnews{$i} by one.
Parahead

Postby Parahead » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:37 am

Parahead wrote:Just would like to point out a small change between version 1.23 and the 1.30.x series that any addon developer that uses the hook BuildNews_Filtering2 should be aware of...
If any filtering of newsitems is done in the hooks BuildNews_Filtering or BuildNews_StandardProfile they are also effected...
Parahead

Postby Parahead » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:39 pm

A bugreport for 1.30.3:
In crcore.pl, do a search for "print news controls or bottom links", a couple of lines below that there is an if/else-statement either appending to or overwriting the file it is opening depending if it is the first newsitem or not. Since the purpose of opening the file at that point is not the same as when this if/else approach is used elsewhere in the BuildNews-sub this should be replaced with only the append part:

Code: Select all
$FilesOpened{$i} = CRopen(">>$ProfFilePath{$i}/$newsprofiles{$i}->{'textfile'}");

The bug only appears if there is one newsitem in that profile and another sorting then the default is used, but at that time it is overwritten...
Parahead

Postby Parahead » Wed May 12, 2004 7:21 pm

Don´t know if I should call it a bug, but it is a change between version 1.23 and 1.30.x which needs to be either corrected or documented, preferably the first option...

It is not a single issue, but they are all located near the hook BuildNews_CloseFile in crcore.pl. The first issue is that this hook has changed place. Previously it was placed before the generated files where closed but now is located *after* the files has been closed. This is a major change if an addon has been using this hook and expect the outputfiles to be open...

Also, the while-loop surrounding the BuildNews_CloseFile hook previously looked like this:
while (($key, $value) = each %FilesOpened) {

but now it looks like this:
while (($i, $value) = each %FilesOpened) {

I understand the reason for this, but it isn´t very backwards friendly... Also, in order to be backward friendly, the variable $value should be loaded with $FilesOpened{$i} after the "1.30.x approach" of open files...

Eh, what the heck, I modify the while-loop from 1.30.3 in the way I think it should look like and provide it here instead:
foreach $key (keys %FilesOpened) {
 my $br = ($CConfig{'XHTMLbr'} ? '<br />' : '<br>');

$FilesOpened{$key} = CRopen(">>$ProfFilePath{$key}/$newsprofiles{$key}->{'textfile'}");

$value = $FilesOpened{$key};

# HOOK: BuildNews_CloseFile
 if($Addons{'BuildNews_CloseFile'}){my $w;foreach $w (@{$Addons{'BuildNews_CloseFile'}}){my $addon=$w->[2];eval ${$w->[0]};AErr($addon,$@)if $@;};}

if ($newsprofiles{$key}->{'DisplayLink'} == 1) {
  print {$FilesOpened{$key}} qq~$br<i><small>$Messages{'DisplayLink'} <a href="http://coranto.org" target="_blank">Coranto</a></small></i>$br~;
 }
 elsif ($newsprofiles{$key}->{'DisplayLink'} == 2) {
  print {$FilesOpened{$key}} qq~$br<i><small>$Messages{'DisplayLink'} <a href="http://coranto.org/forum" target="_blank">Coranto</a></small></i>$br~;
 }
 elsif ($newsprofiles{$key}->{'DisplayLink'} == 3) {
  print {$FilesOpened{$key}} qq~$br<i><small>$Messages{'DisplayLink'} Coranto</small></i>$br~;
 }
 close ($FilesOpened{$key});

}#while fileopened

This modified code also fixes the bug I reported just above, about the "one newsitem with another sorting overwrite problem"...
Parahead

Postby cerberos76_ » Thu May 13, 2004 1:03 am

Thanks for reporting it parahead. Yes you are right about the backcompatibility which should be maintained.

Have you had a chance to do some testing on the code given? I mean try with different profiles mixing categories of differnt types and so on?
Coranto addons:

cerberos76_

Postby Parahead » Thu May 13, 2004 7:16 am

cerberos76 wrote:Have you had a chance to do some testing on the code given? I mean try with different profiles mixing categories of differnt types and so on?
Actually I made a decision earlier to become a betatester and start using the 1.30.3 on my site, where I have a bunch of profiles and categories. I also have a bunch of addons enabled...

But I don´t know exactly what you mean by mixing categories of different types? This particular codesnippet is only related to the printing of the link to CTUS at the bottom, which is a feature I don´t use on my site (instead have a "free" link better incorporated into the design), so I can´t say that it is *that* much tested, but the while loop is processed regardless and that part works...

BTW, all my bugreports and other changes I have posted in these forums regarding 1.30.3 I have also documented in my copy, so if you are interested I could send you those files... My modified version includes:
* The fix mentioned above with the link loop and BuildNews_CloseFile-hook
* Better sorting of profiles (True alpha of displayname)
* Better sorting of styles (True alpha of displayname)
* Being able to sort headlines differently than the profile they belong to
* StackTrace feature as pointed out by LoneOwl
* Autofocus at the loginpage (yes, I know, we have discussed this before)
Parahead

Postby cerberos76_ » Thu May 13, 2004 1:51 pm

Yes, thanks for the offer.
Please be welcome to send me your bug-fixed files. I appreciate that and will soon check them and put them out as a new release.

The question on testing I asked was because I had reports from testers that sometimes the build process of 1.30.3 was not correct.
In particular I meant do the building (and in particular Partial Build) of separate profiles containing different categories, making sure there are categories contained in many profiles (not simply a 1:1 mapping category:profile).
I was unable to reproduce the problem and I always promised to do more testing with a more real-life environment to find the bug.
I guess the bug you pointed out (the if/then write/append in the main loop) might have been responsible for the problem in particular cases.

So, I will do some testing as I receive the files.
Coranto addons:

cerberos76_

PreviousNext

Return to Coranto Development Archives -- 1.25.1 and Older