1.30 Information

Archive of notes and cross input on Dev versions of Coranto (1.25.1 and Older)

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Postby Parahead » Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:21 pm

cerberos76 wrote:Parahead,
let's not become all of a sudden too formal.
cerberos, I am truly not trying to make life hard for you or anything. You know I have contributed both with core changes and made new addons and my only goal is to try and keep a united and strong community, OK!?

cerberos76 wrote:All previous alpha versions (1.30.x series) have been distributed trough my site (the one I had before; I changed domain recently).
I do not see anything wrong with that. It is the only way to ensure fast distribution trough a controlled channel.
I have now also put some nicer features rather then the simple link to the zip file... so will also be even more user-friendly than in the past for other people who wish to experiment with the latest coranto code.
And I plan to put out many more releases than in the past few months, as I have more time now to dedicate to this project.
This is great news cerberos and I think it is excellent if you have nice features when downloading Coranto, can´t wait to see them. But I still feel that in order to maintain a curtain seriousity and not to confuse any new users to Coranto it is better to have one centralized place to download it from, thats all... I wasn´t even aware untill now that you had put the 1.30-series on your site for download and actually I don´t even know the address to your site? You don´t have it in your signature and the only address I have seen you mention is http://www.-.com ? And please cerberos, don´t get me wrong here, I am truly glad and curious about your new site! Very nice to see that some of the original core team is still active! :-D

cerberos76 wrote:As for this site: there is a owner who repeatedly stated his views.
I agree on his conclusions that the site is his and he has the responsability to decide how/when to update it. So, no need to add anything more on this. He will update it when he finds time.

So let's put the words at rest and let's make the code speak for itself!
I both agree and disagree. What I agree with is that he is in full power of this site and he does what he likes with it. The problem is that if you don´t have a good supporting site for a product, you will have a hard time recruting new users. And this site is *the* site for Coranto and it truly needs to take care of it´s users better than it currently does. And some work can easily be deligated to others that do have the time. So I am sorry cerberos, I can´t just put the words to rest and let the code speak for itself.
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby cerberos76_ » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:24 pm

Parahead, I understand your position.
Probably it is better if you try to contact mszdragon. Maybe insisting again will bring some results. I tried and he did not listen few months ago, and I am interested in writing code, not arguing about somebody else' web site.
Even better, try to open a new thread in the right section of this forum (there is one on site improvements). He might pass bye and read the topics there.

As far as alphas, I always distributed them trough my site.
At the time it was www.-.com. I recently decided to change that domain (I did not like the name anymore and I let it expire) and so I will continue to redistribute the alphas on my new site. That's all.
Who want them can have them for free as usual.
Who does not want them will be free not to download them, as usual.

Once they become more stable, if we find anyone who has access to this site, we will also ask him to post them here.
Coranto addons:
* GuestPost, one click guestposting
* MoveIt!, Advanced Backup and site transfer
* PartialRebuild, CPU-friendly enhancement of FullBuild
* URLColumn, URLs for multiple Categories/Profiles
* Tickit!, Javascript News Tickers/Faders for Coranto!
* AddonEnabler, enables or disables single, multiple or all addons in one go
* SubmitMultiple, post consecutive news in an automatic loop!
* RSSAdvanced, RelatedNews ....

Get them at: http://coranto.gweilo.org/addons/
cerberos76_

Postby Parahead » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:05 pm

cerberos76 wrote:I am interested in writing code, not arguing about somebody else' web site.
I couldn´t agree more and my intention never was not to start an arguement with you about any website and I would gladly stay out of this type of discussions, but like I said before, the decline of the service level on this site makes it really hard for me not to but in sometimes, sorry to drag you into this, OK!? :-D

To sum up my view: If we create a powerfull rocket but we don´t bother to write an explaination of what a rocket is, what it can do and don´t even write a manual but instead just hand out the blueprints, we will just end up with a bunch of rocket scientists in space. :lol:
Parahead

Postby VZey » Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:48 am

Anyways back to the original reason I posted in this thread. If i get 1.30.4, is that going to be stable enough for a live site? Will it work with:

FaceLift
Filter By Field 2
GuestPost
Maginot
MoveIt
Multipage
Multipart
News Categories
Profile Copier
Search News
X Multisubmit
X poll

These are my favourite and most used addons... Would be important for almost all of them to be working to power the new site I am building www.mrave.com

Thanks.
VZey

Postby Parahead » Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:47 am

VZey wrote:Anyways back to the original reason I posted in this thread. If i get 1.30.4, is that going to be stable enough for a live site?
If noone is using it, the bugs will not be reveiled! Personally I use the 1.30.3 version (modified so it probably will be much like the 1.30.4), and it is working well for me. But the thing is that my site isn´t critical and if I stumble across a bug I probably can solve it myself, you have to take these things into considiration.

And it is still a BETA, it is bound to have some bugs in it. I really don´t know what releaseplans cerberos has for the 1.30.x-series, but like he said above, he obviously plans on releasing new versions a bit faster than right now, which is great news! But I don´t know the path he will walk, if he plans on stabalize it and then releasing an official version of it soon or plan to add more features before that happens.
Parahead

Postby cerberos76_ » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:37 am

I consider 1.30.4 reasonably good. It fixes what I consider a big architectural fault/bug (i.e. zero-ing profiles all at once).
So I consider that already something that can be tested.
I am usig it for my new site.

The work will continue on more experimental alphas.
Things I plan to introduce soon:
* /addon folder with autoenabling features
* autoenabling periodic backup (better safe than sorry)
* new faster build method
* database split
Coranto addons:

cerberos76_

Postby VZey » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:46 pm

OK so if I choose to use this experimental version it will be upgradable to more stable versions in the future and will work with the addons i listed above?

Are there some benefits of the 1.30.x series over 1.22? Or should I be safe and use the older more stable code.
VZey

Postby cerberos76_ » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:25 pm

VZey,
obviously there are advantages upgrading from one version to another (we would not produce a new version which had no difference from the previous...). Don't worry you will be able to see the history where all the changes are logge and you will understand.

In shot I see in this version a slight build speed advantage, plus less risks to loose the profile .txt files during build (reall big bug fix), plus some improvements in the set-up process (you can now set-up Coranto also with sites not allowing writing to the cgi-bin directory) plus new documentation and few other smaller fixes...

As for addons, I can list those I use and will certainly work with this version:
- SearchNews
- Moveit
- Tickit
- Related News
- Categories
- Maginot
- Rss Advanced
- GuestPost
- Profile Copier

What I I am not sure about (as I do not regularly use them):
X Multisubmit
X Poll
Facelift

If you have a reliable backup system (such as Moveit), you do not risk a lot.
Even if most of the time good, betas are anyway for people not too concerned with 100% program functioning, as bugs might be encountered (this is why betas exist).
Coranto addons:

cerberos76_

Postby Parahead » Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:40 pm

VZey, I also recommend you to read the different 1.30.x threads about what has been updated in them and which kind of bugs has been there and squashed. The latest is http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5667

On my site I am using:
Backup build 2
ChangeDateNew 3.3
CopyNews 0.1
CustomFields 0.5
EmptyProfile 0.4
Filter By Field 2
iSay 0.15 (somewhat modified but not related to any problems with 1.30.x though)
Maginot (next version [build 14])
Multipart (next version [1.56])
NewFilesAdvanced 1.0
Private Messanger 1.01
QueryFetcher 0.2
ShadowMail 2.0.02
Sort Orders 2.3
Template Editor 1.01
X Multisubmit 2.1

The addons that has been some problems with is Filter By Field 2 and ChangeDateNew 3.2, but the latest versions of those addons and when 1.30.4 will arrive those problems should be cured. Like I said above, read the 1.30.x threads to keep you updated... :-D
Parahead

Postby VZey » Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:17 pm

i really wanna build my site now... how bad is 1.30.3? is it good enough to start setting up my site? i don't want to risk days of setting up coranto to work just how i want it and then have to start again because something stuffs up.
VZey

Postby cerberos76_ » Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:37 am

Look, given you don't want risks go with v 1.23 and you solve all the problems.

Somebodyelse will test this version and when stable you will see it be announced.

1.30.3 has some bugs which have been found and squeezed (read this and other threds in the same forum topic), so would be really silly to start with that now...
Coranto addons:

cerberos76_

Previous

Return to Coranto Development Archives -- 1.25.1 and Older