1.30 Information

Archive of notes and cross input on Dev versions of Coranto (1.25.1 and Older)

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

1.30 Information

Postby Lawrence » Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:54 pm

Just letting everyone know i'm preparing to start work on Coranto 1.30, which will boast a few nifty new features and cerb's changes to 1.20.

Just so everyone's clear, it will be use 1.21.3 as the base, as it's got alot of fixes since 1.20 and is far more stable :)

Provided we don't have any lightning ( it looks like there will be someone ), i'm gonna start merging his changes into the 1.30 core tonite and code my new features ( mainly addon upgrade and uninstall capability ) as time permits.
Stuff I'm working on:
- nothing

Addons:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lw-craddons/
Lawrence

Postby kriko » Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:12 pm

Hmm, what about adding template support?

Then there could be a "Facelift" template, so the addon wouldn't need any updates from that point :)
Kristjan aka. kriko
now a wireless expert
kriko

Postby Lawrence » Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:45 am

Some news: I've merged my changes since 1.20 ( which cerbs was based on ) and merged them into 1.2.1 ( modded by cerb ) to get the first-ever version of 1.30 :) So far, everythings working good. I won't be releasing it for another lil while, as i got some stuff to add and debug.

... but it's looking really good so far :)
Stuff I'm working on:
- nothing

Addons:
Lawrence

Postby Lawrence » Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:56 am

Added a link to the addons page from Addon Manager ( only if Coranto security is set to Public ) :)

If i'm feeling really nice tomorrow nite and 1.30-test1 is doing good, I might put up a copy for people to test and give feedback on.
Stuff I'm working on:
- nothing

Addons:
Lawrence

Postby SrNupsen » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:03 pm

Hi, I just wanted to say something about the way Coranto handles different langauges, and since I wasn't allowed to start a new thread I'll just stick it to this one if it's allright with you :)

Actually, language support is very poor. You see, I tried for fun translating crlang.pl to crl_Norwegian.pl, uploading and enabling it.

My translation didn't cover more than roughly 1/4 of all the text in the core version of Coranto. It also took away all my menu options in the left navbar, and didn't take into consideration many of the sentences I translated.

Is this being worked on in the 1.30 series? I think it would be a smashing feature, and people will line up to do translations if only the ground work is done.

I realize that every addon would have to be translated separately, but addon authors should also be encouraged to include all their user output in a language file. I'd be happy to translate everything, but if translation just means that half of the text will be in Norwegian and the other half in English, my customers will just laugh at me, I think :)

SrNupsen

SrNupsen
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby VZey » Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:07 pm

what's going on atm? is 1.22 still the latest version? what features are going to make the next cut? how come there are versions with all different numbers in this forum?

i know some of these answers are in here somewhere but I really can't be stuffed finding them atm, plus what about all those new people who come to coranto, how do they know where to look and what to get? i've been using it for years and still don't understand your numbering system.
VZey

Postby cerberos76_ » Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:18 pm

VZey wrote:what's going on atm? is 1.22 still the latest version? what features are going to make the next cut? how come there are versions with all different numbers in this forum?

In short: 1.23 is the latest official stable version.
1.30.3 is the latest alpha of the next version. But it is not suggested for use in live sites. It includes at present some improvements (as selective file extentions per profile, better set-up procedure and privacy support), plus bug fixes in the build process. This alpha will continue looking for efficiency.

The numbering system has been lausy in the past. Now it is clealer with 1.xx.yy indicating the progressive versions. Once a version become stable, its number gets upped to xx+1.
Sometimes this also happens for larger changes.

i know some of these answers are in here somewhere but I really can't be stuffed finding them atm, plus what about all those new people who come to coranto, how do they know where to look and what to get? i've been using it for years and still don't understand your numbering system.

A new site is under construction and that will help all new people.
The owner of this site has no time to update things, and noonelse has access to this site, so just be patient.
Coranto addons:
* GuestPost, one click guestposting
* MoveIt!, Advanced Backup and site transfer
* PartialRebuild, CPU-friendly enhancement of FullBuild
* URLColumn, URLs for multiple Categories/Profiles
* Tickit!, Javascript News Tickers/Faders for Coranto!
* AddonEnabler, enables or disables single, multiple or all addons in one go
* SubmitMultiple, post consecutive news in an automatic loop!
* RSSAdvanced, RelatedNews ....

Get them at: http://coranto.gweilo.org/addons/
cerberos76_

Postby VZey » Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:47 am

Hey again, it's been 3 months since my last confes... i mean post :P

Just wondering if this new Coranto site will ever see the light of day?
Which is currently the work in progress version, and when will it be released?

I can't belive 3 months have passed and still no new website.
VZey

Postby cerberos76_ » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:14 pm

In order:
- the website has progressed well, even if I have not shown it anymore. Will b made public soon.
- the latest (beta) version is 1.30.4, evolution and bug fix of the 1.30 series.

Be patient a few more days and we will get there... (and dont' ask why or what. You cannot even imagine what happens in other's lives and how time is tight even to sleep or eat, let alone unpaid programing).
Coranto addons:

cerberos76_

Postby Parahead » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:21 am

cerberos76 wrote:- the website has progressed well, even if I have not shown it anymore. Will b made public soon.
That is great news cerberos, I for one am really looking forward to see your site! :-D Although I think VZey was talking about the further development of *this* site (but I might be wrong), which has been rather slow!? ;-) Or are you actually talking about CTUS? That would *really* be great news!

cerberos76 wrote:- the latest (beta) version is 1.30.4, evolution and bug fix of the 1.30 series.
Just curious, have you actually released 1.30.4 yet? I can´t find it at http://corantobeta.gwe ilo.org/ ?

Hmm... Maybe I should just shut up now and not ask why or what and for a day or two instead and it all will be clear? ::taking a big breath:: ;-)
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby VZey » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:37 am

Cool I can't wait.

cerberos76 wrote:In order:
(and dont' ask why or what. You cannot even imagine what happens in other's lives and how time is tight even to sleep or eat, let alone unpaid programing).

Yeah I can imagine actually. I work over 20 hours a week plus I'm a full time multimedia student at uni as well. I understand you're short on time, I always putt off my side projects till the break as well :)
VZey

Postby cerberos76_ » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:49 pm

Parahead wrote:
cerberos76 wrote:- the website has progressed well, even if I have not shown it anymore. Will b made public soon.
That is great news cerberos, I for one am really looking forward to see your site! :-D Although I think VZey was talking about the further development of *this* site (but I might be wrong), which has been rather slow!? ;-) Or are you actually talking about CTUS? That would *really* be great news!

I have progressed with ideas on my web site, as discussed in the past.

cerberos76 wrote:- the latest (beta) version is 1.30.4, evolution and bug fix of the 1.30 series.
Just curious, have you actually released 1.30.4 yet? I can´t find it at http://corantobeta.gwe ilo.org/ ?
[/quote]

I do not have access to corantobeta either. As all the past (1.30.x) versions, I plan to put also this new beta on my own web site.
Coranto addons:

cerberos76_

Postby Parahead » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:54 am

cerberos76 wrote:I have progressed with ideas on my web site, as discussed in the past.
Yeah, I thought so, just wanted to be sure... :)

cerberos76 wrote:I do not have access to corantobeta either. As all the past (1.30.x) versions, I plan to put also this new beta on my own web site.
I really do not want to rock the boat here, but is that a wise move? I mean, taking into account under which "restrictions" the current version of Coranto is distributed under? Yes, I know you have been involved since the dawn of Coranto but isn´t it better to have one centralized place to get hold of the distributions?

The current situation with the admin(s) of this site being absent isn´t doing the community any good, but dividing it further by setting up a new place to get hold of the source isn´t improving the situation either (IMHO anyway). I know I am starting to derail this thread, but also would like to mention that I know we have had discussions about improving this site both regarding content and look and that their has been certain bottlenecks. I really would like to know if there is any cerious plans to do any improvements of this site or if any discussions in that direction is futile since the people currently in charge isn´t willing to let any body else be in control of any descissions and don´t have the time to do it themself?

I am just getting frustrated about the fact that both me and alot of other people have offered to help out in different areas, but in the end the response has been either silence or that the help isn´t good enough... OK, this wasn´t what I had planned on writing but I am really concerned about the decline of administration.
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby cerberos76_ » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:33 pm

Parahead,
let's not become all of a sudden too formal.

All previous alpha versions (1.30.x series) have been distributed trough my site (the one I had before; I changed domain recently).
I do not see anything wrong with that. It is the only way to ensure fast distribution trough a controlled channel.
I have now also put some nicer features rather then the simple link to the zip file... so will also be even more user-friendly than in the past for other people who wish to experiment with the latest coranto code.
And I plan to put out many more releases than in the past few months, as I have more time now to dedicate to this project.

As for this site: there is a owner who repeatedly stated his views.
I agree on his conclusions that the site is his and he has the responsability to decide how/when to update it. So, no need to add anything more on this. He will update it when he finds time.

So let's put the words at rest and let's make the code speak for itself!
Coranto addons:

cerberos76_

Postby VZey » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:55 pm

great so you have this wonderful script that no one can really access because it's too confusing to know which one to download, which one is stable and which one works with most addons.

Sorry for the sarcasm but sometimes these things have to be said. You're all (the people involved with the site/script) too involved with the personal problems and stuff around here and don't see the bigger picture of attracting people to the script and allowing the community to grow.

This post is in no way meant to offend anyone. Let's say I was an average Joe user who rocks up to this site they wouldn't know what was going on. I've been frequenting this site for over 18months now and I'm still lost as to what I should be getting.

I'd be happy for someone to make an independant site and distrubute the code there with pretty pictures and explanations, cause that's what I and I'm guessing most users would want. Isn't that what this site was originally all those years ago? It's time for it to happen again. If the owner refuses to update to help the community then the community should pack their bags and move.

rant over. let me reiterate that I am not pointing the blame at any one person, just trying to spark some activity and progress. :)
VZey

Next

Return to Coranto Development Archives -- 1.25.1 and Older