NewsCat ][ and Monthly Archive Links Page

Archive of notes and cross input on Dev versions of Coranto (1.25.1 and Older)

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

NewsCat ][ and Monthly Archive Links Page

Postby en_shua » Thu Jun 13, 2002 12:37 pm

When I was using vanilla NewsPro and having it archive monthly, I was able to get a Monthly Archive Links Page of all the archives. However, now I am using NewsCat ][ to do my sorting and my archival (using sliced pages and MonthNumYear static field). Is there a way to get a Monthly Archive Links Page of all the monthly archives?

Thanks.
Josh
en_shua

yes

Postby plushpuffin » Sun Jun 16, 2002 4:39 am

Create a profile identical to your sliced profile, except set it to "sliced index alphabetical order"
plushpuffin

um

Postby plushpuffin » Sun Jun 16, 2002 4:41 pm

that would create a page with a list of the months.
plushpuffin

Postby en_shua » Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:00 pm

Okay, so I'm going to go and create a new profile, just like my other profile, this time selecting Alphabetic Sliced Page Index and MonthNumYear as the static field. Interesting...

My web server is down right now, so I can't try it. But, will this put the months in alphabetical order, or will they be in chronological order? That is, in my thinking, in Alphabetical order April would come before February.
en_shua

Postby doom » Mon Jun 17, 2002 2:58 pm

Isnt that what you asked (alphabetical) ?
doom

Postby en_shua » Mon Jun 17, 2002 3:10 pm

Well, I'd like it in the yearly order (January, February, March, etc) as it would make most sense to the users. But, I haven't seen the output of this Alpahbetical output yet (server is still down), so I don't know what to expect.
en_shua

dates are numbers

Postby plushpuffin » Mon Jun 17, 2002 3:50 pm

Dates are numbers. Use the "Month as Number" option for the sliced index and sliced profiles, and make the sliced index profile a numerical index.

Or, use a numerical sorting subroutine while still using Month Name as the slice field, if you have files named "January.html" etc
plushpuffin

Postby en_shua » Tue Jun 18, 2002 11:46 am

I don't see "Month As Number" as an option in my static fields.

Also, while I'm at it, why do I have "NewsCat ][ build 12" and "NewsCat_][_Total_Rebuild" listed twice on the bottom of my admin pages?
en_shua

Postby doom » Tue Jun 18, 2002 12:58 pm

en_shua wrote:Also, while I'm at it, why do I have "NewsCat ][ build 12" and "NewsCat_][_Total_Rebuild" listed twice on the bottom of my admin pages?

"NewsCat ][ build 12" links to the place where you manage your categories and profiles. Create, delete, etc.

"NewsCat_][_Total_Rebuild" rebuilds all your static files. Its good to do this when you make changes on the templates and other things.
doom

Postby en_shua » Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:27 pm

I'm sorry, but it was too early for me to make a clear post. What's happening at the bottom of my admin pages is that I have both of those listed twice. That is,

NewsCat ][ build 12 | NewsCat_][_Total_RebuildNewsCat ] | [ build 12 | NewsCat_][_Total_Rebuild
en_shua

doom's right

Postby plushpuffin » Tue Jun 18, 2002 4:49 pm

most likely you have two newscat ][ scripts installed. make sure you don't have a file called "Copy of npa_newscat2.pl" because NewsPro will still detect and load it even though it doesn't start with npa_
plushpuffin

Postby en_shua » Tue Jun 18, 2002 5:58 pm

No duplicates of the NewsCat ][ addon.

Back to the Month as Number issue. Where am I supposed to pick it?
en_shua

this is a suck

Postby plushpuffin » Tue Jun 18, 2002 7:41 pm

i am sorry but i can't help you anymore on the forums. if you want me to try to troubleshoot it, you'll have to contact me by email with your ftp account name and password, and a newspro webmaster account name and password. i'll do my best to get this straightened out but we've reached the limit of what support i can give without seeing it myself.
plushpuffin

Return to Coranto Development Archives -- 1.25.1 and Older