included SSI not showing up

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

included SSI not showing up

Postby kywee » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:30 pm

I put the SSI code into the page, but it doesn't show up on the site. It's odd because it will show up in dreamweaver at times, but never on the website.

I have tried numerous file paths and even the whole URL but nothing seems to be working.

Any insight would be great.

Thanks
kywee

Postby Jackanape » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:24 pm

What SSI code are you using?

Have you saved the page as .shtml? That's always a tricky part.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby kywee » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:33 pm

I've tried include virtual and file from numerous paths and the page is saved as .shtml

<!--#include virtual="/coranto/news/news.txt" -->
kywee

Postby Jackanape » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:18 am

Sorry it's taken so long for this reply...been out all night.

It's possible this is a server issue. I was working to configure a windows server once, and had a similar problem, until we defined .shtml as a document type on the server...

Are you on a Windows server?
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby kywee » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:54 pm

It's not a Windows server. I think I have found the root of the problem and I will keep this updated.

Thanks
kywee

Postby Shelton » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:01 pm

hi guys, i've just searched the forum and found this post because i'm having a similar issue.

How did you fix it?

everything is working, the admin login etc, but the virtual for the news.txt isn't working....my page is .shtml and i have other include's from different scripts working there so i know everything is set up right, it's the coranto....if i put the direct link to news.txt in my browser it displays a INTERNAL SERVER ERROR, which is obviously the root of the problem.

Can someone tell me what i've missed? i've tried all kinds of CHMOD's and nothing...

thank you! look forward to a reply..
Shelton

Postby Jackanape » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:52 pm

Is your news folder outside of the cgi-bin?
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Shelton » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:13 pm

no sir
Shelton

Postby Jackanape » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:10 pm

Many servers don't allow files in the cgi-bin to be viewed or used as includes...which will produce the problem you're experiencing.

Try moving your news folder outside of your cgi-bin--it should have said that in the install instructions, I'll take a look tonight--and be sure to update your file paths in your Coranto settings.

You may need to redo your CHmod settings, but I'm not sure about that.

Everything should work out fine for you then.

Let us know how it goes!
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Shelton » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:32 pm

you beauty!

top work mate, thanks very much for your help :D
Shelton

Postby Dale Ray » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:41 am

I have added a page to the troubleshooting section of the Docs Wiki:

Server Side Includes Not Working
Dale Ray
Dale Ray