very simple question

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

very simple question

Postby chtay » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:15 am

Ok i did the hard bit and got the script to work, it generates my news page and snipped headlines on my homepage. however my home page was previously called index.html to make the script work i had to change to shtml. now the index page will not load, i get the tree view of my site. how do i get my domain to point to index.shtml?

I know its more a webdesign question but i figured other people will have had the same problem!
chtay

Postby Von Snellfharer » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:13 am

What kind of server is this?

There is still some ISPs out there that doesn't support includes or has setup shtml as an option.
Von Snellfharer

Postby chtay » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:27 am

not sure on ther server - the sites hosted by bt. the shtml includes work fine, its just that when you type in the web address www.domain.com it won't go to www.domain.com/index.shtml. it seems the isp only look for index.htm or index.html
chtay

Postby Dale Ray » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:06 pm

If your host allows you to use .htaccess files you need to create one (or edit/add to an existing file) with a line:
Code: Select all
DirectoryIndex index.shtml index.html index.htm

This tells the server what file to use for the default page. The order (from left-to-right) indicates the preference.

Check the directory to see if a file named .htaccess already exists, if not you can create one with a text editor and upload it to your server.

If you search for .htaccess tutorial ob Google you will find many resuources explaining what you can do with this file.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby chtay » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:23 am

i'm guessing the host doesn't allow this, i've tried uploading the file and its removed immediately upon upload. also tried uploading with a different name then changing it on the server and still no result. searched their help page too but there's no mention of .htaccess
chtay

Postby GabeT » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:22 pm

Have you tried emailing your host admin? Also, have you tried making a page with .php extension? There is instructions on how to include your content using php includes in the Coranto documentation. Sorry If you already tried this, maybe it's time to look for a new host.
GabeT

Postby Von Snellfharer » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:32 pm

Put this into your index.html:

Code: Select all
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

<html>

<head>
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=iso-8859-1">
      <title>Untitled Page</title>
      <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;URL=index.shtml">
   </head>

</html>

Note that there is no body section, it makes the redirect faster.
Von Snellfharer

Return to Troubleshooting