Am I missing the point or just thick??

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Am I missing the point or just thick??

Postby ukracer » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:32 pm

Hi

Sorry to be so brazen but I have spent ages getting to this stage and I dont know why I am hitting a brick wall all the time.

The concept of coranato is hard for me to get my head round so if I show you a site I want to do similar stuff to it might help http://www.superpalace.co.uk/ if you see the head lines they are individual and when clicked take you to an individual page, or news item.

I only have one big blob of text for all my headlines that when clicked take me to the same place each time.

My site is..(dont laugh) bnrc.co.uk and the page I am using are index.shtml

I also cant find out how to get the page index.shtml to show when a user just types in http://www.bnrc.co.uk.

Have I explained myself enough??

Thanks in advance
ukracer

Postby Dale Ray » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:42 am

If you are on an Apache server:

To get the desired page to be the default when someone puts in your URL and nothing else you need a line in your .htaccess file like this one:

DirectoryIndex index.shtml index.html index.php index.cgi

List the files you want used as a default in the order you want the server to search for them. Using the example above the server would look for

index.shtml
index.html
index.php
index.cgi

in that order.

If there is no .htaccess file in the root directory of your server you can create one with a text editor and upload it to the server.

Here is a document about headlines: How Do I Set Up Headlines?

If your questions are not answered there you might want to post the headline style you are using.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby ukracer » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:00 am

Dale Ray wrote:If you are on an Apache server:

To get the desired page to be the default when someone puts in your URL and nothing else you need a line in your .htaccess file like this one:

DirectoryIndex index.shtml index.html index.php index.cgi

List the files you want used as a default in the order you want the server to search for them. Using the example above the server would look for

index.shtml
index.html
index.php
index.cgi

in that order.

If there is no .htaccess file in the root directory of your server you can create one with a text editor and upload it to the server.

All sorted on that side of things now it redirects seemlesly thanks.

Here is a document about headlines: How Do I Set Up Headlines?

If your questions are not answered there you might want to post the headline style you are using.

Ok I had already set up maginot but did not know how to use it and that tutorial seems superb thanks.

I do have one problem though and the funny named files it is supposed to create do not get created. How do I know if maginot is working as no errors are generated and all seems fine.

Thanks again!
ukracer

Postby SrNupsen » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:43 am

1. Make sure you have enabled the Maginot profile that should generate your files.
2. Check which path you have specified for the files to be created in, and make sure you are looking in the right place.
3. Check that this directory has the right permissions so that Coranto can write files to it.
4. Try a full rebuild.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby ukracer » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:43 pm

SrNupsen wrote:1. Make sure you have enabled the Maginot profile that should generate your files.
2. Check which path you have specified for the files to be created in, and make sure you are looking in the right place.
3. Check that this directory has the right permissions so that Coranto can write files to it.
4. Try a full rebuild.

MMMmmm problem is I have already tried all of those things. Coranto writes the news.txt there sucessfully so I assume that is good enough yes??

The one issue may be paths but it does say if you dont write anything it defaults to a particular place and I have tried most paths! :(

Will be server logs show me anything??

I will look anyway!
ukracer

Postby Parahead » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:48 pm

ukracer wrote:I do have one problem though and the funny named files it is supposed to create do not get created. How do I know if maginot is working as no errors are generated and all seems fine.
I do not think it is an error in Maginot, most probably a setup problem of some sort. It usually is... ;-)

Have you managed to get it working since your last post?
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby ukracer » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:17 pm

Parahead wrote:
ukracer wrote:I do have one problem though and the funny named files it is supposed to create do not get created. How do I know if maginot is working as no errors are generated and all seems fine.
I do not think it is an error in Maginot, most probably a setup problem of some sort. It usually is... ;-)

Have you managed to get it working since your last post?

Nope!

Well......it did but at what stage I am not sure. after my many problems I found the files I was expecting in the place I was expecting them BUT not sure when they were actually created. If you see what I mean!

Please check out this thread so I dont double post if you dont mind??
http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

Thanks in advance.
ukracer

Postby ukracer » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:30 pm

I have decided I am thick.

being a little less tired I started all over again.

It would appear i was doing everything right BUT by FTP program would not up date until I logged out and back in again!

If I transfer a file or create on in the FTP program.........and even upload via dreamweaver or other FTP program it saw those files BUT not those created by maginot.

So on the basis there are being created I can now follow the tutorial for part two and onwards. Thanks for all your time!
ukracer

Postby ukracer » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:56 pm

I feel like a right pillock. maybe its my age but although I have now got maginot working and I can use SSI to include the headlines on the main page I cant work out how to link each headline to each file. xystedhns.htm etc

And even if I could it seems to be too time consuming to do this manually each time new news is written so I MUST have missed something. But what is it....?

sorry for being dim!
ukracer

Postby ukracer » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:16 pm

in case it helps this is what is thrown up when I click one headline.

http://www.bnrc.co.uk/%3CMaginotURL:%20 ... file%7D%3E
ukracer

Postby ukracer » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:10 pm

ukracer wrote:in case it helps this is what is thrown up when I click one headline.

http://www.bnrc.co.uk/%3CMaginotURL:%20 ... file%7D%3E

Hi again

I have been doing some messing around and I think I had the profile name wrong as mine is

maginot_news and not maginot_news_profile

but it still does not work. I am guessing that the bit that says maginot URL should be a URL to maginot?? or something. The documentation does not make this clear!

I now get <a name="newsitemEEVllklEEusNhNilmL"></a><strong><a href="<MaginotURL: {maginot_news}>">Testing server</a></strong> -- September 21, 9:41 AM<br><a name="newsitemEEVyuZZFFufYRyCOGn"></a><strong>

when I view the source code of the page I am creating. Seems to me thats not going to find anything except a 404 so any help appreciated again .....I will get there I will get there I will.............. LOL
ukracer

Postby Parahead » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:07 pm

ukracer wrote:but it still does not work. I am guessing that the bit that says maginot URL should be a URL to maginot?? or something. The documentation does not make this clear!
I am not sure which documentation you refer to, but read the documentation for Maginot, available through the addon manager within the Coranto interface. (Basic Usage -> Linking)

ukracer wrote:I now get <a name="newsitemEEVllklEEusNhNilmL"></a><strong><a href="<MaginotURL: {maginot_news}>">Testing server</a></strong> -- September 21, 9:41 AM<br><a name="newsitemEEVyuZZFFufYRyCOGn"></a><strong>
Replace {maginot_news} (including the curly brackets) with the actual name of a Maginot Static Profile.
Parahead

Postby ukracer » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:19 am

Parahead wrote:
ukracer wrote:but it still does not work. I am guessing that the bit that says maginot URL should be a URL to maginot?? or something. The documentation does not make this clear!
I am not sure which documentation you refer to, but read the documentation for Maginot, available through the addon manager within the Coranto interface. (Basic Usage -> Linking)

Yes thats the page that makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. The examples used just confuse the hell out of me. I think when I finally find out what these mean I might be able to crack on as most other things fall into place.

ukracer wrote:I now get <a name="newsitemEEVllklEEusNhNilmL"></a><strong><a href="<MaginotURL: {maginot_news}>">Testing server</a></strong> -- September 21, 9:41 AM<br><a name="newsitemEEVyuZZFFufYRyCOGn"></a><strong>
Replace {maginot_news} (including the curly brackets) with the actual name of a Maginot Static Profile.

That was the name of my static profile. I have now changed it to maginotnews to remove the underscore in case that was the problem but it still does not work.

It just produces http://www.bnrc.co.uk/home/bnrc/public_ ... news%7D%3E and a 404 error
ukracer

Postby ukracer » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:29 pm

guess what!..............I have sorted it!

basically the documentation assumes some knowledge.

Its quite simple when you know that you remove the curly brackets and the errors then start to show up in my paths. once I could see on screen what was happening it was solved.

so I will write a muppets guide for any newbies who will come across the same problem!

Thanks again!
ukracer

Postby Parahead » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:39 pm

ukracer wrote:
Parahead wrote:I am not sure which documentation you refer to, but read the documentation for Maginot, available through the addon manager within the Coranto interface. (Basic Usage -> Linking)

Yes thats the page that makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. The examples used just confuse the biscuits out of me. I think when I finally find out what these mean I might be able to crack on as most other things fall into place.
That documentation does not include curly brackets, so I didn't thought it was that piece you had read!?

ukracer wrote:guess what!..............I have sorted it!

Glad you did! :-D

ukracer wrote:Its quite simple when you know that you remove the curly brackets and the errors then start to show up in my paths. once I could see on screen what was happening it was solved.
*coff, coff*
Parahead actually did wrote:Replace {maginot_news} (including the curly brackets) with the actual name of a Maginot Static Profile.
Parahead

Next

Return to Troubleshooting