Disabled my own account!

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Disabled my own account!

Postby Smood47 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:39 am

I was trying to re-name my admin level account (running latest version of coranto) and I disabled my account which lead me to a complete lockout of further administration.

I created one other account but did not give it admin privileges. I have the news service setup and working well... is there a way I can re-gain access without re-installing?

Thank you!
Smood47

Postby Musicvid » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:48 am

Directly above your post is another post titled "(Almost) ALL of your questions are answered here. 2005/06/16"

Why don't you start there and please post back if you have questions that are not answered in that thread.
Musicvid

Postby Smood47 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:57 am

Sorry if I missed it but I don't see something that will readily solve this problem. I did see resetting a password but I believe that won't help if my account is disabled.
Smood47

Postby SrNupsen » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:35 pm

You have a super-admin account, whose password can be reset, and that you can use to enable your ordinary administrator account again.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby Smood47 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:47 pm

I believe it is the super-admin account that was disabled. I know of only 2 accounts that were ever made for it 1 was the original first account and the second was a lower level account.

If there is a super-admin account would it be displayed under the users in coranto and if not how might I find out what the username of such an account was? IE. by looking at 1 of the program files.
Smood47

Postby SrNupsen » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:15 pm

There are a couple of hacks. But in general, people have some trouble doing them right, so pay attention to spaces (there should be none!) and symbols. And also: DO BACKUP before you poke into these files :wink:

To see who is currently superadmin on your installation, find the line that starts with "SuperAdmin" inside your nsettings.cgi file. If Joe is superadmin, the line will look like this:

Code: Select all
SuperAdmin``xJoe

Now, you can ofcourse change this to any existing user you want. THEN:

To reset that user's password, you have to go through the routine you allready did - but note that those are not accents ('') but "accents graves" (``). So the correct line to insert IN TOP of your nsettings.cgi:

resetpass``xJoe

Note: There are absolutely no spaces (I have corrected the original post aswell).

SrNupsen

SrNupsen

Postby Smood47 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:15 pm

SrNupsen wrote:There are a couple of hacks. But in general, people have some trouble doing them right, so pay attention to spaces (there should be none!) and symbols. And also: DO BACKUP before you poke into these files :wink:

To see who is currently superadmin on your installation, find the line that starts with "SuperAdmin" inside your nsettings.cgi file. If Joe is superadmin, the line will look like this:

SuperAdmin``xJoe

Now, you can ofcourse change this to any existing user you want. THEN:

To reset that user's password, you have to go through the routine you allready did - but note that those are not accents ('') but "accents graves" (``). So the correct line to insert IN TOP of your nsettings.cgi:

resetpass``xJoe

Note: There are absolutely no spaces (I have corrected the original post aswell).

SrNupsen

SrNupsen ok I have done all that you have said. The super admin was in fact the same account I disabled.. so I renamed it to the one existing account you stated (ensuring the syntax with the right accents was in place) then put the reset commad at the top of the nsettings.cgi file as you said.

Uploaded the file in ASCII mode and overwrote the old one. But whenever I try this superadmin login it says 'You have entered the incorrect information'.

Any ideas??
Smood47

Postby Parahead » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:15 am

Smood47 wrote:SrNupsen ok I have done all that you have said. The super admin was in fact the same account I disabled.. so I renamed it to the one existing account you stated (ensuring the syntax with the right accents was in place) then put the reset commad at the top of the nsettings.cgi file as you said.

Uploaded the file in ASCII mode and overwrote the old one. But whenever I try this superadmin login it says 'You have entered the incorrect information'.
When you say you put the reset command at the top of the nsettings.cgi file, which user account did you use then? The old SuperAdmin account name or the new you changed to? The password follows the user, not the SuperAdmin account...

Anyway, in nsettings.cgi you have a row per user that starts like this (where "username" is the users account name):
user-username``x

If you look at the row for the disabled account you will see that it contains a part that looks like this:
DisableUser!x!1
Simply remove that part (and only that part) and the account is not disabled any more...
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby Smood47 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:31 pm

Parahead wrote:
Smood47 wrote:SrNupsen ok I have done all that you have said. The super admin was in fact the same account I disabled.. so I renamed it to the one existing account you stated (ensuring the syntax with the right accents was in place) then put the reset commad at the top of the nsettings.cgi file as you said.

When you say you put the reset command at the top of the nsettings.cgi file, which user account did you use then? The old SuperAdmin account name or the new you changed to? The password follows the user, not the SuperAdmin account...

Anyway, in nsettings.cgi you have a row per user that starts like this (where "username" is the users account name):
user-username``x

If you look at the row for the disabled account you will see that it contains a part that looks like this:
DisableUser!x!1
Simply remove that part (and only that part) and the account is not disabled any more...

Parahead it worked!!!

Thanks so much man. Also thanks to SrNupsen and musicvid for the help.
Last edited by Smood47 on Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smood47

Postby SrNupsen » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:57 pm

OK problem solved - glad to hear that :)

SrNupsen

Return to Troubleshooting