DBI Error: DBI could not be found. Cannot use this add-on

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

DBI Error: DBI could not be found. Cannot use this add-on

Postby UDPride » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:49 pm

When conecting to my coranto.cgi login page I get the following error:

Code: Select all
DBI Error: DBI could not be found. Therefore, you cannot use this addon.

Im running 1.24 and have not done any tweaking in months. I havent used it in a cpl weeks and when I went to use it a coupel days ago, I got this message when hitting the coranto.cgi page.

I did a search but didnt find a specific answer for this. Any ideas? I notice this error comes from the import attempt of the DBI. I have no idea what the DBI is, but does this sound like something for my ISP? Did they change something on me?

Im hoping this is a particularly easy fix because of its not Im going to jump in front of a bus.
UDPride

Postby UDPride » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:03 pm

Anyone?

My ISP did not offer any help. This was their response:

We haven't made any recent server changes to your account.

I took a look into these files but unfortunately this is not a program we are famimliar with so we coudln't tell you exactly what the problem is, but I wasn't able to see anyting obviously causing this.  I did notice that there were some varibles you did not fill out in the first part of the coranto.cgi file.  Things like absolute path and such.  Also I would recomend you double check the database details you have configured for this.  Beyond that I would recomend you check with the developer of this software to see if they have any suggestions of what to check when getting this error.

I havent done ANYTHING as far as updating files or such. If I dont get this back up and working Im gonna crawl into the fetal position and cry.
UDPride

Postby UDPride » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:06 pm

I just noticed in my coranto.cgi some parhs are missing. I have not updated this file:

#!/usr/bin/perl
eval {
require DBI;
DBI->import;
};
if ($@) {
print "content-type: text/html\n\n<b>DBI Error:</b> DBI could not be found. Therefore, you cannot use this addon.";
exit;
}

# Before attempting to set up this script, please read
# readme.txt, which you should have received along with this!

# EXTRA SERVER INFORMATION
# Coranto tries to determine its path and URL automatically. This works in 90%
# of cases, but some servers aren't cooperative and don't allow this information
# to be found automatically. Though it won't hurt, there's no need to fill this out
# unless you encounter problems.
#
# If you encounter problems (particularly with incorrect URLs, or fatal error messages
# about files not being found), fill in the two variables below.

$abspath = '';
# Set the above to the absolute path to Coranto's directory, without
# a trailing slash. Example:
# $abspath = '/absolute/path/to/coranto';

$scripturl = '';
# Set the above to the URL to coranto.cgi. Example:
# $scripturl = 'http://www.myserver.com/coranto/coranto.cgi';
# END EXTRA SERVER INFORMATION

#######
# START (Unless you know Perl, don't change anything after this point.)
#######

You think this could lead to the problem? Obviously leaving them blank worked in the past.

I Just want to know what DBI error is and how I need to fix.[/quote]
UDPride

Postby UDPride » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:15 pm

I added the paths to the coranto.cgi file just to be sure and Im still getting the DBI error:

http://www.udpride.com/cgi-bin/coranto/coranto.cgi
UDPride

Postby UDPride » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:42 am

Can anyone provide any help here? At present my website is pretty much dead in the water because I cannot get my Coranto to work so I can login and post articles. Its been several days and Im getting worried Im losing visitors. Im contracted to publish a minimum number of articles a week with my co-publisher/marketer so Im currently in severe breach.

Any advice on this error Im getting is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
UDPride

Postby Dale Ray » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:02 am

Are you using CorantoSQL? I believe it is this addon that is causing your problem.

Try turning off the addon. Do you get the same error?

The code requiring DBI is not part of Coranto 1.24, it is added for CorantoSQL. Replace your coranto.cgi file with the original coranto.cgi from v 1.24. Do you still get the same error?

You might try running a script such as PerlDiver. The output of PerlDiver will show if the DBI module for PERL is installed.

You might want to look at the FakeSQL addon. Despite recent promises to update and provide bug fixes for CorantoSQL by the developer those fixes have not been seen.

Also, the absolute paths are only required in coranto.cgi if you have a problem when they are blank. I have never had to fill them in, but on some servers they are needed.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby UDPride » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:20 am

No, Im not using Coranto SQL. Just the regular old CGI coranto with newsdat.txt stuff.

I just started getting this error out of the blue.

I uploaded a new coranto.cgi file but I dont know if it was a "fresh" install copy.

Should that initial DBI sniff code in the coranto.cgi NOT be there if Im using the regular ol' 1.24? If so, I can try to remove it?
UDPride

Postby UDPride » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:28 am

I ended up uploading a fresh coranto.cgi file from the initial unzipped software. That appears to have solved the problem. I noticed in the cgi code that there was NO reference to any of the DBI stuff.

This is REALLY WEIRD. I dont know how that information or how that possible wrong application file (Im not using SQL version) got there. Only I would upload it and Ive never even ATTEMPTED to install the SQL version. The 1.24 works fine for me.

In any case, the restored original file DID THE TRICK. This was a great call. I really appreciate the help. You might be thinking "jeez why didnt he just try this to begin with" but Im not a real perl/cgi codebreaker/hack so I was not sure if uploading a new file in place of something like this would render my entire installation/news stories/setup goofy. Sounds like the coranto.cgi is just the "runtime" which is pretty static.

In any case, thanks again for the help. Im indebted. I just wish I knew how all of this came to pass. Very strange indeed!
UDPride

Postby Dale Ray » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:36 am

Glad I could help.

I would have posted sooner, but I thought it was a CorantoSQL problem and I don't use that addon.

For future reference, if you post the addons you are using when you have a problem it will make it easier figure out the problem.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Return to Troubleshooting