Installation problems

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Installation problems

Postby Vulcan UK » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:36 pm

I've been repeatedly attempting to install coranto over the last few days and I am continually getting the same error.

500 Internal server error.

Everything has been uploaded to the cgi-bin folder in ascii mode (I've tried other folders too), I know that my perl path is correct and so is my abs path, I have tried to CHMOD everything as 777 but it makes no difference.

This is what appears in the error log, not that it is of any help:

james-snow.streamlinenettrial.co.uk: [07/Jun/2006:23:20:34 +0100] 172.214.209.148 - - "GET /cgi-bin/coranto/coranto.cgi HTTP/1.1" 500 565 "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)"

My host is www.streamline.net I'm still using its trial period but it has the same features on trial as the 'power' option. Using linux server version.

I can find no good reason why coranto will not work, maybe in my ignorance I have missed something blatent and obvious.

Feel free to poke and laugh, as long as I know whats going on. :?
Vulcan UK

Postby SrNupsen » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:54 am

What your posted is your visitors log, and not your error log. Try and get hold of it. Also, try a search for "500 AND internal" in these forums - should give you a link to Parahead's guide to internal server errors.

SrNupsen
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby Vulcan UK » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:53 pm

I remember reading somwhere that on linux servers all files should end .cgi and on windows .pl
Just wondering since half the files ive uploaded are .pl and other half are .cgi
Vulcan UK

Postby Parahead » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:48 pm

Vulcan UK wrote:I remember reading somwhere that on linux servers all files should end .cgi and on windows .pl
Just wondering since half the files ive uploaded are .pl and other half are .cgi
Actually both pl and cgi-files can be executed on both Linux and Windows, it is just a matter of setup. Anyway, the distinction between the pl-files and the cgi-files in the Coranto distribution is that the cgi-files are ment to be run from a browser (coranto.cgi and viewnews.cgi) while the others with the pl-extension is "helper files" to Coranto. But yes, it is true that you might have to change the extension from cgi to pl on a Windows server.
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby Vulcan UK » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:22 pm

Managed to get error log from host:

[alert] [client 172.212.37.164] /home/fhlinux217/j/james-snow.streamlinenettrial.co.uk/user/htdocs/cgi-bin/.htaccess: order not allowed

In the setup guide it notes that if there is a pre-existing .htaccess file it should not be overwritten with the coranto version, so i didn't.
Vulcan UK

Postby Parahead » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:08 pm

Vulcan UK wrote:Managed to get error log from host:

[alert] [client 172.212.37.164] /home/fhlinux217/j/james-snow.streamlinenettrial.co.uk/user/htdocs/cgi-bin/.htaccess: order not allowed

In the setup guide it notes that if there is a pre-existing .htaccess file it should not be overwritten with the coranto version, so i didn't.
Sounds like a corrupt .htaccess file to me... Ask your host what the particular .htaccess file does (or is supposed to do) and what you should do (or if they can fix it) to be able to have a script up and running in the cgi-bin folder.
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Return to Troubleshooting