Monthly Archiving -- what am I missing?

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Monthly Archiving -- what am I missing?

Postby MOV » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:51 pm

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting archiving to work the way I want it to: for example, on June 1st, all previous news entries should be archived into May, and the June news should be the only thing displayed on the news page. All "old" news (the last day of the previous month and earlier) should be accessible from the archives page.

I can set Filter by Time to 30 days, but then the previous month's stuff stays there well into the next month before eventually being archived.

Am I missing something here, or just not understanding the point of archiving?

Thanks much!
Chris
MOV

Re: Monthly Archiving -- what am I missing?

Postby Parahead » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:38 pm

MOV wrote:Am I missing something here, or just not understanding the point of archiving?
The behaviour of the monthly archive is ment to work exactly as you describe above. Normally you want to include a certain amount of newsitems as "new" and then place them in an archive.

However, it should be possible to achive what you want, by using a Maginot Sliced Profile and slice on year & month. This will give you a bunch of archive files consisting of all newsitems, also the new ones. If you want you can use a Maginot Sliced Index Profile to create an overview page with links to each individual month as well.

Then in the style you use by the normal profile (with the filter by time set to 30) you could include something like this:
Code: Select all
<If: Sub: isNewMonth>
<PerlCode>
    last;
</PerlCode>
</If>

Also, check out this, this and this thread.
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby MOV » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:19 pm

Great, thank you very much! :D
MOV

Postby Parahead » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:30 pm

MOV wrote:Great, thank you very much! :D
You are welcome! If you got it up and running as you wanted, could you please provide some detailed information on how you implemented the suggestions (and which ones)? Would be good for future reference. :-)
Parahead

Postby MOV » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:52 pm

Heh, sorry that 1) it's taken so long to reply back to this, and 2) there's not much worthwhile to post anyway. :wink:

I actually just ended up leaving the archiving on the built-in settings (Filter by Time - 30 days). I'm okay with a few of the previous months' news posts carrying over and staying on my "Latest News" page; I just thought I was doing something wrong and was missing some simple setting.

Thanks again for the advice, though, as I may be trying some of it for different archiving on another site I'll be doing soon.
MOV

Postby rinsley » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:01 pm

MOV wrote:I actually just ended up leaving the archiving on the built-in settings (Filter by Time - 30 days).

Maybe the summer heat's fried my brain, but I just can't see what to set or how. Like MOV, I want to leave only a certain number of days' worth of posts in the active file and archive the older ones as they age out. I don't use Perl very often and am stumbling through Coranto. Help!
Webmaster
banksecurity.com
rinsley

Postby MOV » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:30 pm

To set it the default way I did, you want to go into Administration > Manage Profiles.

Under "news" click on Edit General Settings and enter 30 into Filter By Time.

Come back out and under "news" again click on Edit Archiving Settings. Change the Archive Type to monthly, set your filenames if necessary, and you should be good.

Of course if there's something I missed, someone else can feel free to chime in as well. :)
MOV

Postby MOV » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:34 pm

I actually have a question myself. With the archiving set to monthly/30 days as I just described, I have to go in to Admin > Full Rebuild for the most recent "old" month to show up. Plain news submission/build news does't work.

For example, if my client submits news in August, the 30-day-old stuff from July is not archived.... "July" simply doesn't show up on the archived month list when he submits/builds news. I can see the June archives, and August is still listed under the Latest News page.... while July news is not visible anywhere.

However, if I log in as admin and do a Full Rebuild, suddenly July shows back up on the month list.

Is this right, or am I missing something? Shouldn't news be automatically archived and the new months show up when you submit/build news normally, without doing the Full Rebuild each month?

Thanks!
MOV

Postby Parahead » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:31 pm

MOV wrote:Is this right, or am I missing something? Shouldn't news be automatically archived and the new months show up when you submit/build news normally, without doing the Full Rebuild each month?
The archives has not been getting much attention codewise for a very long time. It does work as you say, that is having to do a full rebuild to get the archives up to date. I think it is in an effort to speed things up that it was designed this way from the begining, having a large news database would increase building times during a normal post. Of course only the sections needing to be rebuild should get rebuilt, but that is not how it works right now...

Another solution for you might be the Maginot addon, specifically a Maginot Sliced Profile, slicing on year/month.
Parahead

Return to Troubleshooting