Neverending problem: the Lost of the Nsettings.cgi Help!

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Neverending problem: the Lost of the Nsettings.cgi Help!

Postby prommy » Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:28 pm

I have (nearlly 2 years) the same problems:

Nearlly every week, my nsettings.cgi deletes most of the settings, so that coranto don't work anymore. (version 1.02 with sql). I have to look many times a day on the server to see the condition of the nsettings.
(i have only to look on the website, to see if the poll runs or shows a "Internal Server Error". Sometimes the poll runs, but noone can login. (Coranto deletes fragments of the nsettings). When its dead i have to renew it with a backup.

The system runs with about 20 user and 40 categories and about 15000 news.

So i heard that this problem will not happened to the newer versions (>1.20).

Now, i have a new site with coranto installed (another server, Version 1.24). But i was shocked: the same problem : 0 byte nsettings.cgi!!!

Question: WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN?? How can i prevent my system(s).

I will be very happy with any suggestions or ideas!

Thank u dear Coranto-Community.
prommy

Re: Neverending problem: the Lost of the Nsettings.cgi Help

Postby cerberos76_ » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:33 pm

prommy wrote:
Question: WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN?? How can i prevent my system(s).

This happen because the old method used for saving this file would wipe it out first before saving it. So if a problem (or a concurrent call to the same file without locking) occurred at the same time, the file would not be written back.

The mechanism has been changed in 1.30.x
Check crlib.pl, and look at the sub : SaveCConfig.

The new mechanism is safer and should allow you to keep your data all the time, even if an error occurs. You need to know a bit of Perl to put it back into your Coranto version...
Coranto addons:
* GuestPost, one click guestposting
* MoveIt!, Advanced Backup and site transfer
* PartialRebuild, CPU-friendly enhancement of FullBuild
* URLColumn, URLs for multiple Categories/Profiles
* Tickit!, Javascript News Tickers/Faders for Coranto!
* AddonEnabler, enables or disables single, multiple or all addons in one go
* SubmitMultiple, post consecutive news in an automatic loop!
* RSSAdvanced, RelatedNews ....

Get them at: http://coranto.gweilo.org/addons/
cerberos76_

Postby prommy » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:50 pm

Oh-oh!

First of all: THANKS FOR THE HELP!

Now, i knew why this terrible thing happens. I also think, that the nsettings gets killed, when to users simultanious save the nsettings...

Ok: i looked at both subs, the new one in 1.30 and my old 1.02. But i am not quite good in Perl, so i don't dare to change this. There are massive changes there...
prommy

Postby prommy » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:14 pm

IT (seems) WORKS!

I have deleted the $adminpath variables and created the temp-files.

thanks a lot cerberos76, i the future will show if this will help!

i still believe... :wink:
prommy

Postby Parahead » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:15 pm

prommy wrote:Ok: i looked at both subs, the new one in 1.30 and my old 1.02. But i am not quite good in Perl, so i don't dare to change this. There are massive changes there...
Hmmm... cerberos, do you think it would be a good idea to include this improved saving routine into 1.24 and make a new release? Or do we want to keep it only in the 1.30.x series so that people are motivated to upgrade later on? ;-)
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby prommy » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:23 pm

Dear Parahead!
basicly you are right, but this problem in the newest Coranto and still in the older one MUST BE SOLVED!
I can't wait any longer for the 1.30 (will it be stable with all that addons???) >> i think this will be next spring or summer....

My thanks goes to Cerberos that he helped me to get a better coranto(1.xx)
prommy

Postby Parahead » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:30 pm

prommy wrote:Dear Parahead!
basicly you are right, but this problem in the newest Coranto and still in the older one MUST BE SOLVED!
I can't wait any longer for the 1.30 (will it be stable with all that addons???) >> i think this will be next spring or summer....
I do understand your situation and it seams that you have get things sorted out in your specific installation. Since you have 1.02 installed you needed to make a specific fix anyway...

I am talking more about this in general terms. Currently 1.30.x is a direct sibling of 1.24, but if any improvements is done to 1.24 it starts to become a separate branch of evolution instead (taking this discussion to the extreme!), which could cause problems when later on upgrading to 1.30.x. Still, this fix is so important that it might be interesting to improve 1.24 while we wait for 1.30.x to be a stable release...
Parahead

Postby cerberos76_ » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:57 pm

I think this improvement is very good, but not so critical.
I am still using Coranto b29 on one of my sites (multimillion hits) and had only once in 5 years a problem with nsettings.cgi (which was immediately solved with a backup from Moveit).

The fix itself has not been tested so much, so I could hardly call it stable. Of course those who have many posters and are having problems with nsettings might simply swap subroutine as indicated above.
But for the majority it is best to use 1.24 as it is and be sure it is stable.

1.30.x is progressing well. I am testing it while I add new functionality and I believe it contains many functionalities which will be useful.
As I indicated in the roadmap and stated a few times there will be a version of it released widely before Christmas. And that should be stable enough for all sites to be sure not to loose information from it!

I have no intention to introduce further branches in the stable release, as any change which is not fully tested for months might make it simply unstable and detract energy away from the real development/testing, might bring bug reports which are difficult to trace etc.
So, the answer is simply: if anyone has any problem with 1.24 (and I really feel they should be very few people) they will find the way to improve it (as you have done here) at their own risk!
Or they will ask for help and they will receive suggestions
Coranto addons:
* GuestPost, one click guestposting
* MoveIt!, Advanced Backup and site transfer
* PartialRebuild, CPU-friendly enhancement of FullBuild
* URLColumn, URLs for multiple Categories/Profiles
* Tickit!, Javascript News Tickers/Faders for Coranto!
* AddonEnabler, enables or disables single, multiple or all addons in one go
* SubmitMultiple, post consecutive news in an automatic loop!
* RSSAdvanced, RelatedNews ....

Get them at: http://coranto.gweilo.org/addons/
cerberos76_

Postby Parahead » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:22 pm

cerberos76 wrote:I have no intention to introduce further branches in the stable release, as any change which is not fully tested for months might make it simply unstable and detract energy away from the real development/testing, might bring bug reports which are difficult to trace etc.
cerberos, I fully agree with you, I just wanted to raise the question so that we could discuss it... :-) Personally I am in the middle of a project and can´t really risk using the 1.30.x series even if I would like to. The site needs to work during a 3 day period so there is no margin for searching after errors if they should appear. I will have more time early next year when I will start conducting tests and implement some ideas about the DB layer as I have mentioned previously...
Parahead

Postby Rag » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:56 am

prommy wrote:IT (seems) WORKS!

I have deleted the $adminpath variables and created the temp-files.

thanks a lot cerberos76, i the future will show if this will help!

i still believe... :wink:

I have ben pesterd with this problem for a long time aswell.
Althou my perl skill might not be the best so im not shure i should compare and try to patch 1.24 my self.

Is it possible for someone ju make like a step by step guide on what to replace and what to remove/add ?
Rag

Return to Troubleshooting