Changing the Submit News Content?

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Changing the Submit News Content?

Postby Jackanape » Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:45 am

I'm setting up my latest Coranto installation so that my wife and sister can use it with no help from me...they're not particularly savvy with this sort of thing, so I want to place some text along with the submit page, to tell them what to put where...

For example, after the image upload box, I'd like to remeind them to keep the images under a certain pixel size...

Is there a way to do this? I'm not expecially good at reading php files, but I've tried to look, but to no avail...

Also, Thanks to all who've helped me so far this time out!
Jackanape

Postby Psykosys » Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:55 am

The CustomFields addon should work for this (Parahead wrote it, so it's available at http://www.parahead.com/coranto.shtml ). After uploading and enabling the addon, you get the option of adding "description" fields on the Edit Fields menu. Whether you're using XMultiSubmit or not you just have to reorder the fields on the submit page so that the description is under (or over?) the field you want to describe.
Psykosys

Postby bozoka45 » Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:19 pm

The newest version of the addon Multipart, available in the addons section, allows you to "restrict" the size of pictures. It can create thumbnails for you.
bozoka45

Postby Parahead » Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:41 pm

Psykosys wrote:The CustomFields addon should work for this (Parahead wrote it, so it's available at http://www.parahead.com/coranto.shtml ).
It does. :-) Just wanted to mention that most of my addons are available through the addon page here at CTUS, including the CustomFields addon... It is only the very small and custom ones that I haven´t bothered posting here.

bozoka45 wrote:The newest version of the addon Multipart, available in the addons section, allows you to "restrict" the size of pictures. It can create thumbnails for you.
That is also correct to a certain extent, but it doesn´t allow a person to inform the submitter before submitting the image what the limititations are and if the thumbnail feature is used to create the "restriction" feature you can´t use the thumbnail feature as it was ment to...
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby bozoka45 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:54 am

Parahead wrote:That is also correct to a certain extent, but it doesn´t allow a person to inform the submitter before submitting the image what the limititations are and if the thumbnail feature is used to create the "restriction" feature you can´t use the thumbnail feature as it was ment to...

Whoa. A mouthful. I realized that, and thought it might be a neat feature (at least for me) to restrict the size of the thumbnail. Is this a technical problem or a Parahead-hasn't-gotten-to-it-yet-although-he-has-probably-thought-of-it problem? :)
bozoka45

Postby Jackanape » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:19 pm

Thanks for the help, again, fellas!

That addon is just what I was looking for. As to the thumbnails issue, here is as I understand it, bozoka45, given that I can't run NetPBM on my server:

The only size restriction in the addon is in file size, not pixel size, although that would be useful, too! LOL As I understand the thumbnial feature, it's meant to post a thumbnail in the new item posted by coranto, linking to the actual file.

Am I right, Parahead?
Jackanape

Postby Jackanape » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:23 pm

Wow--let me just say, Parahead, that xmultisubmit and customfields are possibly the most useful addons I've seen since I started using Coranto!
Jackanape

Postby bozoka45 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:46 pm

Jackanape wrote:Thanks for the help, again, fellas!

That addon is just what I was looking for. As to the thumbnails issue, here is as I understand it, bozoka45, given that I can't run NetPBM on my server:

The only size restriction in the addon is in file size, not pixel size, although that would be useful, too! LOL As I understand the thumbnial feature, it's meant to post a thumbnail in the new item posted by coranto, linking to the actual file.

Am I right, Parahead?

Why can't you run NetPBM if you don't mind me asking?

The thumbnail feature can be used for whatever you want. There are an infinite amount of uses for it. It can save a user from having to resize an image, help those who are image-resizing-incompetent, etc.
bozoka45

Postby Jackanape » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:07 pm

There's no version for the server I'm running on--My server is a RedHat 9 i686 Linux, and every version of NetPBM I find is for i386.

So, I'll just wait it out...maybe someday I'll find another solution, but for now, it'll work out OK.
Jackanape

Postby Parahead » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:34 pm

bozoka45 wrote:
Parahead wrote:That is also correct to a certain extent, but it doesn´t allow a person to inform the submitter before submitting the image what the limititations are and if the thumbnail feature is used to create the "restriction" feature you can´t use the thumbnail feature as it was ment to...

Whoa. A mouthful. I realized that, and thought it might be a neat feature (at least for me) to restrict the size of the thumbnail. Is this a technical problem or a Parahead-hasn't-gotten-to-it-yet-although-he-has-probably-thought-of-it problem? :)
I didn´t interpreted your advice to Jackanape as a feature request... But I agree it would be a good idea to be able to specify both a max limit for the big image and the thumbnails. A question in that case, there is currently two fields where you can specify a default height and width for the thumbnails, would it be enough to have a Yes/No option to "Use default sizes as max sizes?" or would one want two additional input fields for those? Of course two additional fields to be able to specify the max size for the big image is required anyway...
Parahead

Postby bozoka45 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:28 pm

Parahead wrote:I didn´t interpreted your advice to Jackanape as a feature request... But I agree it would be a good idea to be able to specify both a max limit for the big image and the thumbnails. A question in that case, there is currently two fields where you can specify a default height and width for the thumbnails, would it be enough to have a Yes/No option to "Use default sizes as max sizes?" or would one want two additional input fields for those? Of course two additional fields to be able to specify the max size for the big image is required anyway...

I think two separate fields to specify a max size would be the way to go, although it wouldn't be hard to put a note on a submit page to users that the default values are the max values also. You choose :)
bozoka45

Postby Parahead » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:50 am

bozoka45 wrote:I think two separate fields to specify a max size would be the way to go, although it wouldn't be hard to put a note on a submit page to users that the default values are the max values also. You choose :)
I think you are right, having separate fields is best. The request has been added to the TODO-list for Multipart...
Parahead

Postby bozoka45 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:09 am

Parahead wrote:
bozoka45 wrote:I think two separate fields to specify a max size would be the way to go, although it wouldn't be hard to put a note on a submit page to users that the default values are the max values also. You choose :)
I think you are right, having separate fields is best. The request has been added to the TODO-list for Multipart...

Woohoo!
bozoka45

Oh yes can you please?!

Postby akarlska » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:32 pm

I truly hope that you can get around your list soon....this is a function I really need.

Keep up the good work! Multiparts great!
We're just, two lost swimming in a fishbole...year after year.

Running Coranto 1.24, and every addon you can think of.
akarlska

Re: Oh yes can you please?!

Postby Parahead » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:41 pm

akarlska wrote:I truly hope that you can get around your list soon....this is a function I really need.

Keep up the good work! Multiparts great!
I am not the original author of Multipart, I have just added functionality to it. The "problem" is that Multipart has been tweaked rather heavily from its original state and with the things on the the TODO list it might be better to start from scratch with a new addon, the 1.56 release thread is a good place to read about all the ideas.

The major benefit with a "universal image addon" would be to use not only the current image API NetPBM that Multipart uses today, but also ImageMagick and GD. This would be accomplished with the use of hooks.

I honestly do not see me coding this in the near future though, sorry.
Parahead

Return to Troubleshooting