1.31.5 and news categories big problem

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

1.31.5 and news categories big problem

Postby Broomsy » Tue May 29, 2007 3:29 pm

I thought I would test out the latest development version but there are big problems with the news categories add on.

I have 7 categories and one profile to display each categories news. I then have a profile to display all the news. When a news item gets deleted it is deleted from the profile displaying all the news but the single profiles the news item stays. This is only if 1 is posted in each. If more than 1 is posted in each it acts ok. But always leaves 1 news item. Any ideas guys?
Broomsy

Re: 1.31.5 and news categories big problem

Postby Parahead » Tue May 29, 2007 4:12 pm

Broomsy wrote:I have 7 categories and one profile to display each categories news.
Just so that I get this clear. Do you have *one* profile that produces 7 outputfiles? Or do you have one profile for each category? What type of profile are you using, a normal or other (eg. Maginot Sliced)?

Anyway, my guess is that if you delete the last newsitem in a specific category the outputfile related to that category is not deleted (nor rebuild) and thus it "stays" in that outputfile. This is not something special for Coranto 1.31.5 (or eg. Maginot) so you should experience the same behaviour in Coranto 1.25, don't you do that now?
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby Broomsy » Tue May 29, 2007 4:51 pm

I have 7 categories and 8 profiles. 1 for each category and 1 to display all.

Why is this the case? If something is deleted it should be deleted. Is there anyway to change this?

I am even trying this with XMS as I am sure I have done it before using this but adding a 2 somewhere in the code.

I do not want news stories left as this is for jobs in categories. If there are no jobs in categories people will still be applying for the last one.
Broomsy

Postby SrNupsen » Tue May 29, 2007 7:38 pm

Could the EmptyProfile addon possibly solve this problem?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby Broomsy » Tue May 29, 2007 7:47 pm

In my eyes this should not be a problem. Why would you want to not rebuild files? Dont delete them as you will get include errors but they should definitely be rebuilt.

I will try this addon.
Broomsy

Postby Broomsy » Tue May 29, 2007 7:48 pm

While we are on add ons why cant you access this section from the main website. You can only access it through the forums as its the only place the link is.
Broomsy

Postby Broomsy » Tue May 29, 2007 8:04 pm

It looks like that bad boy addon worked. Maybe a feature we should add to the next version. You certainly know your addons Mr Nups.
Broomsy

Postby Parahead » Tue May 29, 2007 8:33 pm

Broomsy wrote:Why is this the case? If something is deleted it should be deleted. Is there anyway to change this?
The *newsitem* is deleted, but the *outputfile* from the profile is not deleted, only rebuilt. Thus, if a profile has produced a file and then for some reason it is not containing any newsitems anymore the outputfile is simply just not rebuilt. Old "problem", check out the old forum and I am sure you will find some threads about it...

SrNupsen wrote:Could the EmptyProfile addon possibly solve this problem?
Yes, of course, that is a very good solution. I had forgot I coded that one... :lol:

Broomsy wrote:It looks like that bad boy addon worked. Maybe a feature we should add to the next version.
No need to add to the core what can be put into an addon, this is an old discussion. If people don't need the functionality it only gobbles up the settings pages and slow things down.

And a sidenote to you Broomsy, I don't give help through PM's. It is not an effective way to help since it only helps *one* person and only *one* person can give help. Using the forum, *many* people can help at the same time and *many* people can learn from it.
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby SrNupsen » Tue May 29, 2007 9:50 pm

Broomsy wrote:You certainly know your addons Mr Nups.

Think I've used most of them during the years :) The only one I haven't quite understood fully is Maginot, with its slice multi split super double turbo profiles...
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
SrNupsen

Postby Broomsy » Tue May 29, 2007 10:42 pm

Parahead wrote:And a sidenote to you Broomsy, I don't give help through PM's. It is not an effective way to help since it only helps *one* person and only *one* person can give help. Using the forum, *many* people can help at the same time and *many* people can learn from it.

Thats fine, completely understand. Just didnt know how active you were these days so thought you may see the PM notice and pop in. Glad you popped in anyway.

Could this old "problem" be fixed?
Broomsy

Postby Lumberjack » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:21 pm

As Parahead tries to suggest, it is not a problem. If you are truly emptying a profile of its items, then why not remove the include to it in your sources? It makes sense that coranto tries to minimise its work, why should it write an output file for an empty profile?
As most users will not need this (they will fill the profiles they create and probably never empty them again), this is more suited to an addon, for the few who require this extra feature.
Lumberjack

Return to Troubleshooting