Snipper Addon assistance needed

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Snipper Addon assistance needed

Postby Stoneage » Sat May 05, 2007 7:23 pm

I'm not able to make the WordSnip option of the Snipper Addon work for me.

If I snip using CharSnip, the snipping works, but using WordSnip does not seem to perform any snipping at all. What happens instead is that the code shown below is inserted into the generated page. In this instance, I must be able to preserve entire sentences, so I'd really like to make this work.

Here's my style code:

Code: Select all
<p><WordSnip Field: CustomField_description Length: 50 RespectHTML: soft RespectSentance: yes StripHTML: no Dots: no></p>

Perhaps there is some mis-communication between Coranto and the addon? (Using Coranto v1.25.)

It is probably something very simple, but I've tried various combinations of adjustments both in the Snipper admin and in the style. I can't seem to figure this one out.

If anyone can spot something obviously wrong in my code, or if you have any suggestions for me, please advise.

Thank you.
Deborah

[/code]
Stoneage

Postby Parahead » Sat May 05, 2007 7:37 pm

It was some time ago I coded that addon, but if I am not misstaken the order of the attributes are important, use the same order as in the documentation for the addon.
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby Stoneage » Sun May 06, 2007 2:03 am

Thanks for the reply, Parahead. I checked the order of my code against the documentation and the order of the attributes appears to match.

I'll continue experimenting tomorrow.

(By the way, thanks for creating this addon. I have it working very nicely on another site using the CharacterSnip option.)

Deborah
Stoneage

Postby Parahead » Sun May 06, 2007 8:04 pm

Stoneage wrote:Thanks for the reply, Parahead. I checked the order of my code against the documentation and the order of the attributes appears to match.
Are you sure? The documentation for Snipper 1.0.1 states:
Code: Select all
<WordSnip Field: Text Length: 20 StripHTML: no RespectHTML: strong RespectSentance: no Dots: no>
which is not the same order you are using in your example?

Stoneage wrote:(By the way, thanks for creating this addon. I have it working very nicely on another site using the CharacterSnip option.)
Thank you. :-)
Parahead

Postby Stoneage » Tue May 08, 2007 11:50 am

Are you sure? The documentation for Snipper 1.0.1 states:
Code: <WordSnip Field: Text Length: 20 StripHTML: no RespectHTML: strong RespectSentance: no Dots: no>
which is not the same order you are using in your example?

That is because the Snipper Settings screen shows what was in my example, whereas the Documentation Screen shows what is in your example.

Using the attribute order example from the Documentation Screen, snipping action did occur, but not always where it should. On a 20-word snip, three out of four items were snipped correctly, but one item snipped mid-sentence at 22 words. (And there was not a . ! or ? encountered.)

Parahead, do you have any other suggestions that I might try?

Thanks for your help!
Deborah
Stoneage

Postby Parahead » Tue May 08, 2007 6:12 pm

Stoneage wrote:That is because the Snipper Settings screen shows what was in my example, whereas the Documentation Screen shows what is in your example.
Sorry for that mixup. Mental note to self, update the Settings screen to be same as documentation screen if/when self release a new version of the addon. ;-)

Stoneage wrote:Using the attribute order example from the Documentation Screen, snipping action did occur, but not always where it should. On a 20-word snip, three out of four items were snipped correctly, but one item snipped mid-sentence at 22 words. (And there was not a . ! or ? encountered.)
Hmmm, sounds strange... Do you use the attribute values as in your first post, just 20 instead of 50? Could you provide me with the exact text you are used when the problematic snip happend?
Parahead

Postby Stoneage » Thu May 24, 2007 1:39 pm

Parahead,
Sorry for the slow reply. I had to recreate the issue.

Do you use the attribute values as in your first post, just 20 instead of 50?

I've tried various snip values (20, 30, 40, 50). Sometimes it snips at the end of a sentence, and sometimes it snips mid-sentence.

Could you provide me with the exact text you are used when the problematic snip happend?

Two examples are:
1. breaking after the ampersand in "arts & crafts."
2. breaking after "the" in "and the community."

I don't know if this is enough information for you to work with. The ampersand character could be an issue with #1, but I see no reason for #2.

Meanwhile, I've decided to not use WordSnip on the website in question. I would like to use it in the future, so if there is anything I could be doing differently, I'd still like to know.

Thanks for all of your help.

Deborah[/code]
Stoneage

Postby Parahead » Tue May 29, 2007 4:16 pm

Stoneage wrote:
Could you provide me with the exact text you are used when the problematic snip happend?

Two examples are:
1. breaking after the ampersand in "arts & crafts."
2. breaking after "the" in "and the community."

I don't know if this is enough information for you to work with. The ampersand character could be an issue with #1, but I see no reason for #2.
No, it is not enough information, I would like to have the *complete* text you use, since I need to reproduce the problem and can only do that if I know the length of the text you use. Also, the settings in the tag you use is important, so just to make sure post both the default values you have set in the admin page and the complete tag in the style.
Parahead

Postby Stoneage » Wed May 30, 2007 2:58 am

I am not comfortable with posting the full text on the public forum, because it is very specific to my client's website.

Understandably, you would need all of the information in order to reproduce the issue. I'd be happy to supply the information through forum mail, if you're open to that idea.

Thank you.
Deborah
Stoneage

Return to Troubleshooting