Installation - Directory Paths

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Installation - Directory Paths

Postby Stu93 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:28 am

Im working on installing Coranto, and I get to the step where its asking for the directory paths. The directory Im trying to install in contains the " ' " character (Jeremy's Stuff), and it seems that the installer doesnt like that, as it always give me the error
Whilst testing that all necessary files could be written to, Coranto encountered some errors. Details on the errors are below. Errors are probably caused either by incorrect paths, which you can correct in the boxes below, or incorrect file permissions (CHMOD settings).

Could not open S:/Jeremys Stuff/coranto/nsettings.cgi for writing. Could not open S:/Jeremys Stuff/coranto/crcfg.dat for writing. Could not open S:/Jeremys Stuff/coranto/nsbk.cgi for writing. Could not open S:/Jeremys Stuff/newsdat.txt for writing. Could not create a new file in your News Files directory (S:/Jeremys Stuff). Check permissions on this directory.

I correctly type the path in in the textbox, but the ' is always stripped, and displays the error page it seems.

Any suggestions as to what I can do? And no, I cant just rename the folder, and I would prefer to keep the installation in this directory, thanks

-Jeremy
Stu93

Postby SrNupsen » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:47 am

Using that character in a path name is a very, very bad idea that may cause you all sorts of trouble.

That being said, if you insist, the only solution I can think of is to create a symbolic link. Make a link from for example s:\jeremystuff to s:\Jeremy's stuff, and then give Coranto s:\jeremystuff instead.

More info on how to do it can be found here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby Lumberjack » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:28 pm

I think it would also work to escape the character, as:
S:/Jeremy\'s Stuff/coranto/
Your webserver is fine with this path?
Lumberjack

Postby Spunkmeyer » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:45 pm

I agree with SrNupsen with getting rid of the character. Use a dash or some other non-reserved character instead.
"God Bless the Portable Grassy Knoll"
Spunkmeyer

Postby Stu93 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:01 pm

Yeah, I have tried escaping the character, and using quotes around it, everything i could think of, but nothing worked. Ive been running an Apache server out of that folder for a few years now, and I've never had a problem with it.

As for using a symbolic link, I checked out the link provided, and it looks way to confusing for me :s lol.
Edit: Looked into it a little bit more, and apperently it can only be done on an NTFS drive. The drive of my server is a FAT32 External hard drive, so can not do this anyways.

I'll wait another day or so to see if anything else comes up, if not I guess I'll just have to install in a different directory, thanks for the suggestions though so far.

-Jeremy
Stu93

Postby Lumberjack » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:04 pm

If its possible to convert to NTFS, there is a nice bit of software to create hard links in windows, found here. Just be sure you fully understand what these links are, as you have the potential to easily lose your data if you approach things in a Windows-frame-of-mind (for example by thinking its safe to simply delete the link).

Can you please post the error message of what happens if you escape using \' as this would be useful for diagnosis.. I am thinking of a way which might get this to work..
Lumberjack

Postby Stu93 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:23 pm

Yes, I saw the Junction Link Magic software, but I am not interested converting to NTFS, it would take way too long with the amount of stuff i have on this drive.

The error code when escaping using \' is basically the same, it still strips the ' character, and turns the escaping back slash to a forward slash, like so
Could not open S:/Jeremy/s Stuff/coranto/nsettings.cgi for writing. Could not open S:/Jeremy/s Stuff/coranto/crcfg.dat for writing. Could not open S:/Jeremy/s Stuff/coranto/nsbk.cgi for writing. Could not open S:/Jeremy/s Stuff/newsdat.txt for writing. Could not create a new file in your News Files directory (S:/Jeremy/s Stuff). Check permissions on this directory.

Thanks for the help

-Jeremy
Stu93

Postby Musicvid » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:07 am

Jeremy,
Try replacing your apostrophe with
Code: Select all
%27

Should work if it is a URL as suggested by your forward slashes.
Musicvid

Postby Stu93 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:09 am

Hmm, good idea, didnt think of that one, but upon trying it, still does not work, producing
Could not open S:/Jeremy27s Stuff/coranto/nsettings.cgi for writing. Could not open S:/Jeremy27s Stuff/coranto/crcfg.dat for writing. Could not open S:/Jeremy27s Stuff/coranto/nsbk.cgi for writing. Could not open S:/Jeremy27s Stuff/newsdat.txt for writing. Could not create a new file in your News Files directory (S:/Jeremy27s Stuff). Check permissions on this directory.

-Jeremy
Stu93

Postby Musicvid » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:16 am

%27 should have worked. If you haven't already, tell us what kind of server software you're on, and someone with that specific experience may be able to help you . . . .
Musicvid

Postby Stu93 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:21 am

Yeah, I actually thought that would work too, but it didn't. I have tried looking in the coranto files to try to find how it is replacing the characters, but I cant seem to find it anywhere.

I am running an Apache server on Windows XP, with active perl for CGI support, php, mysql, all are most current versions, and are kept updated.

Thanks for the help,

-Jeremy
Stu93

Postby Musicvid » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:25 am

My only experience with Apache is with Linux, so maybe someone else can help you with a Windows server.

Also, it is a good idea to check your destinations on 2 or 3 different browsers, just to make sure that isn't the problem . . . .

Good Luck.
Musicvid

Postby Stu93 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:30 am

Yes, thanks, I have tried with both IE, and FF, the only two browsers I have installed. I dont think its a problem with Apache, as I have said previoulsy, I have had this server running for a few years, and everything else works fine on it. In my mind, it must be some code within Coranto that dissallows certain characters and will strip them out of the file path, I just cant seem to find where it does so, or a way around it.

Any other suggestions would be great, thanks

-Jeremy
Stu93

Postby Musicvid » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:45 am

Now I see what's happening.
Coranto takes an absolute path from your admin pages and converts into a URI using the ENV variables. There is no built-in encoding or conversion scheme that I know of to escape your characters using this method.

Perhaps someone with more experience can help you, but I would rename the folder and all references to it. JMO
Musicvid

Postby Stu93 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:33 pm

Well, I have just given up for now and installed in a different directory, as renaming my folder is just too problematic, I have too many references all over the place for it. If anyone figures out a way around this in the future, I would still be interested in it. Thanks for all the suggestions.

-Jeremy
Stu93

Return to Troubleshooting