Separate news edit pages

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Separate news edit pages

Postby Tnarg » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:43 am

Ok, So, heres the deal.

I'm using Coranto for my news, but I want to bring in some other people to work on the site as I slowly move away from it and onto other things, but the community has offered to help, the problem is that no one who wants to donate their time knows html, So I decided to modify Coranto into a CMS that i can use across the diffrent sections of my site.

The layout of the site is modular, when new stuff is added to a page a new block is put there for the content, so coranto works great by simply having diffrent profiles and posting them and editing them when needed.

However, my problem lies in this.

When editing the news, you are also given a list of the other items, for example.... you get data coming from news.txt and History.txt and Members.txt which makes a confusing mess of things.

is there a way to seperate the diffrent profiles when editing them, so that news in in it's own place and so is everything else I want to make a profile for?
Tnarg

Postby SrNupsen » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:44 am

Perhaps you could use the XMultiSubmit addon? It lets you create different submit pages, grouping news together any way you want. Or perhaps I didn't understand your question?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby Tnarg » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:51 pm

That SORT of helps with what I want.

after installing and configuring the mod slightly it gives me the option to sort between the diffrent news categories based on the submit pages that I specify.

Is there a way to force only one submit page to be displayed when in the modify news page forcing you to click the links at the top to view other pages? that would be most helpful and work well.
Tnarg

Postby Jackanape » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:04 pm

What I've done for Clients with the XMultisubmit addon, is to configure it so that clicking on "Submit News" will take you to a "Menu Page" linking to the different XMulti profiles. This is an option in the addons config.

Now, if it's MODIFYING news that you're doing, there's not yet a way to do this sort of thing with the modify news page. I recommend staying away from that, anyway, and just have your helpers always submit NEW items, with the profile set to display only ONE news item at a time. It is effectively the same as editing a newsitem--I used to do the same with one of my sites--but it makes it simpler for those not versed in html. THEN, you can place your HTML in your styles, with just that information needing to be updated placed within the submit fields...

Did that sound too disjointed?
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Tnarg » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:29 am

Jackanape wrote:What I've done for Clients with the XMultisubmit addon, is to configure it so that clicking on "Submit News" will take you to a "Menu Page" linking to the different XMulti profiles. This is an option in the addons config.

Now, if it's MODIFYING news that you're doing, there's not yet a way to do this sort of thing with the modify news page. I recommend staying away from that, anyway, and just have your helpers always submit NEW items, with the profile set to display only ONE news item at a time. It is effectively the same as editing a newsitem--I used to do the same with one of my sites--but it makes it simpler for those not versed in html. THEN, you can place your HTML in your styles, with just that information needing to be updated placed within the submit fields...

Did that sound too disjointed?

yeah, I didn't realy follow it at all.

lets see if I can describe what i need.

Using X-multisubmit, it allows you to submit content to diffrent categories without having to click submit and then choose the catagory, instead you click a link. ok, I've got that, that works great.

BUT!

when you modify news, edit, delete etc etc, you are given, using the multisubmit mod the ability to swap between viewing content from all categories or just one category.

is there a way on the modify news page to FORCE you to view only one category and to click the links at the top to view the others? that would be fine and dandy and would fit in with what i need just fine.
Tnarg

Postby Jackanape » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:08 pm

Not for modifying news, not that I know of...

However, is there a reason your tasks HAVE to be modified, as opposed to being submitted as NEW news items?

By just using the SUBMIT NEWS page, you can have what you need. I guess I'm confused as to why you need to modify as opposed to the other.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Tnarg » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:25 pm

Jackanape wrote:Not for modifying news, not that I know of...

However, is there a reason your tasks HAVE to be modified, as opposed to being submitted as NEW news items?

By just using the SUBMIT NEWS page, you can have what you need. I guess I'm confused as to why you need to modify as opposed to the other.

I want the modify news page to be organized into categories, if you want to edit the content on a certain page of the site then it won't be jumbled in with the news posts or other content and you won't have to search through several pages to find your content to modify.

SO, when you go to the modify news page it'll present you with the news content that can be modifyed or deleted, and ONLY the content from the news category, and when you click the links at the top THEN it'll show you the content from the other pages.
Tnarg

Postby SrNupsen » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:15 pm

I can't see how this can be done with any of the current addons, I'm afraid. But I will suggest an equally elegant solution: The EasyEdit addon.

With this addon (available from Parahead's site) your users are presented with two small clickable graphics (of your choice) next to each newsitem: One to edit, and one to delete. Clicking the edit one will take the user straight to the Edit News Item for that particular item.

Users not logged into Coranto (that is, not having the cookie set) won't see the graphics at all.

I use this addon on all of my sites, and I like it a lot.
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
SrNupsen

Postby Tnarg » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:46 pm

SrNupsen wrote:I can't see how this can be done with any of the current addons, I'm afraid. But I will suggest an equally elegant solution: The EasyEdit addon.

With this addon (available from Parahead's site) your users are presented with two small clickable graphics (of your choice) next to each newsitem: One to edit, and one to delete. Clicking the edit one will take the user straight to the Edit News Item for that particular item.

Users not logged into Coranto (that is, not having the cookie set) won't see the graphics at all.

I use this addon on all of my sites, and I like it a lot.

thats actually a great idea... I check it out.
Tnarg

Postby Bregenspan » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:51 am

In the XMS settings, there's also the option:
List the Submit News pages on the "Modify News" page and have each item on the list link to news items submitted to that Submit News page.

Make sure this option's checked. Then, as it says, there'll be a clickable list of Submit Pages on the Modify News page, just click any of them to filter down to posts from just that submit page. Because you already seem to be using separate submit pages for each news category, this option should work well.
Bregenspan

Postby Tnarg » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:12 pm

Bregenspan wrote:In the XMS settings, there's also the option:
List the Submit News pages on the "Modify News" page and have each item on the list link to news items submitted to that Submit News page.

Make sure this option's checked. Then, as it says, there'll be a clickable list of Submit Pages on the Modify News page, just click any of them to filter down to posts from just that submit page. Because you already seem to be using separate submit pages for each news category, this option should work well.

indeed, this is what I did do. So I have the ability to filter by submit page, but when the modify news page is visited it automaticly shows items from all submit pages, is there a way to hack it so that it shows only one submit page and forces you to click the other links to view the other submit pages to modify?
Tnarg

Postby Bregenspan » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:53 pm

If you absolutely need this functionality, here's a quick, barely-tested hack that can accomplish it. I don't think this could damage anything permanently, but to be on the safe side, back up everything first before trying it, and then keep regular backups while using it (better yet, try it out thoroughly on a non-live installation of Coranto first):

In cra_xmultisubmit.pl (Version 2.4.3), find the line (should be on or around line 132) beginning:
Code: Select all
print "<hr>" . $addon->link({'action'=>'modify','xMultiSubmitSP'=>'all'}).($in{'xMultiSubmitSP'}

Change this entire line (including any code on it that could be wrapped over to the lines below it), to:
print "<hr>" . $addon->link({'action'=>'modify'}) . 'View All Unassigned</a> Or Choose A Submit Page: ', join(' | ',@xmst). "<hr>";

Then look for line 143, which should say:
if ($in{'xMultiSubmitSP'}){

Comment this out (by adding a # symbol in front of it), then comment out the closing bracket two lines down. Lines 142-146 should now look like this:
my $XMS_ModifyNews_Filter1 = <<'END_CODE';
#if ($in{'xMultiSubmitSP'}){
   $Filter = 'SubmitPage';
#}
END_CODE

And that's it.

What this should do is make it so that clicking on "Modify News" results in a list only of news items that are not assigned to any submit page (if there are any such items). Then, clicking the filters at top results in displaying content in particular submit pages, just as it did before. This is a very quick hack, so it doesn't reformat things to make them look nicer or similar to the "Choose a Submit Page menu", but it should get the job done.
Bregenspan

Return to Troubleshooting