Best way to create a directory sorted alphabetically

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Best way to create a directory sorted alphabetically

Postby GabeT » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:12 am

We are wanting to create a section of our site where we can post rap artists profiles and have them sorted out alphabetically.

What would be the best way to go about setting this up? I was thinking of making categories like a, b, c... etc.. Then when a profile is posted we would post them in the correct category according to the first letter in the artists name.

Is there a better way to go about this? Thanks for the help!
GabeT

Postby SrNupsen » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:27 am

You should do a search in the old forums ("Support archives") for alphabetically, and you will find there are several ways to accomplish this.

One is to use a Maginot sliced profile and sort it by First letter in subject.

Another possibility is to use the SortOrders addon, which allows you to sort your newsitems by any field you specify.

A third one is to use the isnewvalue addon, and create a style using <If: IsNewValue: <Field: CustomField_firstletter> or something.

In Coranto, things can always be done in several ways! :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby Jackanape » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:57 pm

I've always had success with the Sort Orders addon, although I suspect the Maginot solution may be even better....
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby GabeT » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:56 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I finally had some time today to accomplish what I needed done. I used the alphabet pages addon and created 2 standard profiles to get the function I needed. I'm sure there are other ways to get the same result, but at the end I did what was easier for me. Thanks for the help SrNupsen and Jackanape! Here is a look at the basic idea of what I wanted. I still have to candy coat it and make it fit in with my site.

http://siccness.net/artists.shtml
GabeT

Postby Lumberjack » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:08 am

The newer builds of Maginot have some very nice options to do multiple slices, so you could create some custom fields and slice for example first by artist name, and then by album name to create individual pages for each album. You can even set the "splitter" to a / to create folders. This is possibly the most elegant solution to this kind of problem.
This page is an example of the top level of a double sliced maginot profile. It is sliced first by category, and second by file author (and a semi-third slice which limits the number of items per page)
Lumberjack

Postby GabeT » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:20 pm

I have the latest Maginot build, and I did try and use sliced profiles, but I ran into the same problems this guy did http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... abetically
GabeT

Postby Lumberjack » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:43 pm

MaginotStatic variables probably don't apply to sliced profiles. What did you think of my suggestions of how to slice?
Lumberjack

Return to Troubleshooting